tommag

How do you clean here?

20191009-150909.jpg

Oops, I didnt add text. I tried q tip, pipe cleaner, and still have a bit of crap at the junction of bbl and extension. 

Its clean enough for me, but when I'm working on someone else's stuff, I think perfection is in order.

Personally, I dont.

I used a chamber brush,  I was thinking the tiny gap at the junction of the bbl and extension that a chamber brush doesn't get to. 

I'm thinking redbarron06 has a better idea.

I use the Otis Star Chamber cleaning tool and pads from Real Avid.

vwY7cgI.jpg

7wYmzgZ.jpg

I'm also a fan of the Bore Tech cleaning solvents.

Thanks,

Glenn

I should correct my previous post.  I dont clean my ARs there.  When I have to clean an M16/M4, I use a section of bare metal coat hanger than has been bent and pounded flat like a small scraper to scrape as much off as I can then blow it out with canned air.  But I haven’t been issued an M4 since 2012.

Chamber brush. I do it well. Canned air to follow at times. If that doesn't get it, I take a pass. I do have some of those foam chamber deals I use now and then, Primarily for grime courtesy check and light lubing. They hold up very well. I let dirty ones soak a while in a small coke bottle of dawn and water. https://www.amazon.com/SWAB-ITS-AR15-Chamber-Cleaning-43-5556/dp/B071RRC4KQ/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=ar15+chamber+pads&psc=1&qid=1570668131&sr=8-15

No thoughts on the cleaning, its always a pain.  What I will say is once you do get it clean use something like Mil-comm lubricant/coating to make the next cleaning a lot easier.

https://mil-comm.com/

Thanks for the suggestions,  guys. The compressed air sounds like the way to go.

6 hours ago, tommag said:

Thanks for the suggestions,  guys. The compressed air sounds like the way to go.

I've never used compressed air, but I've aerosol Rem-Oil a bunch of times to "wash" things out.  It works pretty well.  Just do it out in the yard.  :laugh:

I use brake cleaner spray for gross contamination. I use foaming cleaners and then a 45 patch with Shooters Choice on a slotted jag for a final clean.  I'm not overly scrupulously on the barrel/bolt crease. 

Greg

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner is my go-to when I clean parts or have a particularly nasty barrel. And my Harbor Freight ultra-sonic cleaner works great on about anything that'll fit inside. Rarely use it though.

Dental picks