towtruck

Blackouts

I want to thank all the people that sued the power company for the wild fires we had last year. Today the power company cut power to a huge swath of customers. My motel went black last night. My work is black. The town I need to eat in is black. Everyone around my home is black. I prepared for it and the wife is ready to light it all off and lucky for me my house still has power. 

We have a big wind event and the power company shut off power to prevent fires from their lines because they keep getting sued......so now everyone gets to see the repercussions of that. I hope they are happy because a shat ton of businesses just lost inventory and business, people in the city have no way to keep food cold for long periods of time and stores and gas stations are closed. Just a total mess. 

The power company has to check every line before they restore power...it could be Tuesday before the lights come back on.....this will go down in the record books for sure....and I can bet legislators will stop it from happening again and make a deal where the power companies can't be sued for fires....it's a brilliant move by the power company...they are laughing their asses off right now. To be clear I am on the power companies side because regulations on land that the power lines go through is what caused fires not the power lines. 

Peace out for now...I'm going black again....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was watching that yesterday. Can't blame them. The California state government is equal in blame to the plantiffs.

Oh, and our great governor just stole all the gas tax money to finish his train to nowhere. He signed an executive order to steal the gas tax for the train. He may have started a war as everyone is pissed at him for that move. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, towtruck said:

My motel went black last night. My work is black. The town I need to eat in is black. Everyone around my home is black.

I love soul food.

• Haha 1

What are they calling high winds?  

They’ll probably sue them for not making their transmission lines able to handle hurricane force winds.

13 minutes ago, zoomy said:

They’ll probably sue them for not making their transmission lines able to handle hurricane force winds.

And then beotch that their electricity price quadruples.

Where I am staying this week it normally gets a stiff wind off the bay that blows constantly from the west. So much wind all the trees slant east. The area is known for it's wind. The current weather pattern has a high and low meeting mid valley and creating high wind in the valley. This area is almost dead calm this week. No wind and what is coming is blowing in from the north not west. This week is one of the calmest weeks I have ever spent here.....and they kill the power :bellylaf:

Other areas where the power has been cut is actually really windy. My wife's friend had her power cut and she had no plan. She came and got a few gallons of water from my wife and said she was good......when the wife told her the power would not come back until Tuesday the gal just froze......my wife said to her "have you not listened to the news at all? They have to check all the lines and it will take days to do."  The people that never thought it would happen are getting a wake up call this week.  It sucks this is happening while I am out of town as my wife got a little panic flowing through her as other issues popped up as they always do. She never has time to do a dry run or pay attention to what I tell her then panics when she is alone and does not remember what I said to do. 

I am going to tweak my program a bit and get dedicated cords and hang them where they are always ready and make it as simple as I can for her. I know my weak areas and what needs to be done so when I get back I will shore up those weak spots so it's so simple and easy she can do it in her sleep. Right now she has enough gas to keep the well running and the two refrigerators cold for four days if she regulates the generator usage to 6 hours a day max. I am going to up that to 7 days and ten hours run time a day. I have one five gallon gas jug as back up and then two Jeep cans on the Jeep and ten more gallons in the Jeeps own tank if I need it but she would not know how to get the gas out of the tank on the Jeep and she would have a tough time with the Jeep cans and spout but she could at least be walked through that one. I am going to add a generator outlet through the dining room wall that she can plug into and put a simple switch on the fridge in the house to flip for generator or house power. Right now she has to unplug it and plug the extension cord into it. I have a few other tweaks as well. 

• Like 1

Since this is a common weather pattern in your AO, does that mean you'll have to deal with blackouts on a regular basis?  That's not acceptable.  Is it?

2 minutes ago, Qweevox said:

Since this is a common weather pattern in your AO, does that mean you'll have to deal with blackouts on a regular basis?  That's not acceptable.  Is it?

It's going to be the new norm now that so many people sued the power company and forced them into bankruptcy.  They are not going to take any chances of getting blamed for any more fires......and they only took part in one of the four major fires in the last three years. I can guarantee you more fires will be started by people and their generators during these outages than anyone could plan on. This first big outage is a wake up call and like I said earlier in the thread the government will step in and make sure this does not become the normal once they see the economic impact this first one will have.  

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, towtruck said:

It's going to be the new norm now that so many people sued the power company and forced them into bankruptcy.  They are not going to take any chances of getting blamed for any more fires......and they only took part in one of the four major fires in the last three years. I can guarantee you more fires will be started by people and their generators during these outages than anyone could plan on. This first big outage is a wake up call and like I said earlier in the thread the government will step in and make sure this does not become the normal once they see the economic impact this first one will have.  

How many kWh do you use in a day?

I can't even imagine the backlash from this. Some chit gonna change! 

And just like when the hurricanes come to town, everyone is scrambling to find a generator a few weeks too late! 

Did the hardware stores stock up on them prior to this? 

Four days without power. What will people do?

In 9 months, you're gonna see record birth numbers! Ha!

• Like 1

My generator runs on gasoline. Hope the Dems do not win the White House in 2020.  

Matt

So what's PG&E going to do when they get slapped with thousands of lawsuits over lost food, lost income, likely a few lives lost, etc.? 

• Like 1