dfwpi

7.62x39 to .223

So, bought a 7.62x39 upper over the weekend, and now kind of wishing I had gotten another .223. So, can I just pull the barrel and put a .223 and change the bolt, not having to worry about the gas tube? Or?????

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You could do that but at the price of things now just buy a complete upper and have the ability to switch back and forth.  

Greg

• Like 2

I agree with Greg. You would be hard-pressed to get rid of the 7.62x39 barrel once you swapped it out for a 5.56/.223 barrel. You are better off buying a new 5.56/.223 upper assembly complete with BCG and charging handle. You can then shoot 5.56/.223 or 7.62x39 simply by swapping out the upper assemblies. This is, of course, providing that the lower is the same used for 5.56/.223 AR-15s and not a lower specifically for use with AK magazines.

Nuttin wrong with a 7.62x39 AR-15  I just got through getting one but it uses AK 47 mags..... just plain old .223/5.56 gets boring after a while.  Unless you are building military M-16 and M4 variants. 

large.KS-47.JPG.2b8c8fddd2d426fc4506b872af1a2c53.JPG

Edited by gshayd

It uses the AR lower. I have ordered 2 new mags from C-Products.

On 10/10/2019 at 7:08 PM, dfwpi said:

So, bought a 7.62x39 upper over the weekend, and now kind of wishing I had gotten another .223. So, can I just pull the barrel and put a .223 and change the bolt, not having to worry about the gas tube? Or?????

Not trying to be a SA, What is wrong with the 7.62x39?

7.62x39 is a good caliber for most everything. It isn't known for being exceptionally accurate but that's mostly due to a lack of components moreso than the round itself. That being said, what the dudes above said. Just buy a new upper. They aren't expensive. 

45 minutes ago, Etho said:

7.62x39 is a good caliber for most everything. It isn't known for being exceptionally accurate but that's mostly due to a lack of components moreso than the round itself. That being said, what the dudes above said. Just buy a new upper. They aren't expensive. 

And that is why I asked, what was wrong with the 762x39 

I'm getting .5 to 1.0 moa at 100yds, It is a great range toy,  I'm using Tula steel 122gr and hunting it on sale for $180-$190 per 1k so I stock up when I find it. Buddy has a AK with a red dot and the AR with a old style Redfield 2x7 Five Star is more accurate then the AK using the same ammo.

The feed ramp problem is fixed, the extended firing pin is fixed, the magazine problem is fixed and it is a great 100yd toy. Zero problems, just like a Timex with 18-19 cents per round.

Edited by rmc51

5 hours ago, Etho said:

I really like the 7.62x39 caliber.  Accuracy aside, it is a great load.  Maybe some way to reload it, get a decent barrel?  I like its size and punch.  Between the .223 and .308.  I think it cold be a very popular round if proper ammo and accessories were available.

18 hours ago, wish2no said:

I really like the 7.62x39 caliber.  Accuracy aside, it is a great load.  Maybe some way to reload it, get a decent barrel?  I like its size and punch.  Between the .223 and .308.  I think it cold be a very popular round if proper ammo and accessories were available.

It is very popular. You just probably aren't in or around the circles in which it's hugely popular. There is a large contingent of folks who love the AK47. My brother in law and a number of his friends are huge AK guys. They all have friends and so on. Granted it isn't as popular as .223/5.56 and the AR, but it isn't relegated to the niche world either. They don't hate the AR at all, they just prefer the AK. I was never a big AK fan myself, until I started tinkering with a modernized AK with better sights, furniture and a red dot. While I personally still find reloading cumbersome and the charging isn't so fluid, they are leaps and bounds better when done up with better parts. 

Edited by Etho

Even a washboard will clean cloths.  I've got a pair of AR's, standard AR mags, and an SKS that takes AK  mags. I am still in the market for a good one this winter. 

Greg

1 hour ago, Etho said:

It is very popular. You just probably aren't in or around the circles in which it's hugely popular. There is a large contingent of folks who love the AK47. My brother in law and a number of his friends are huge AK guys. They all have friends and so on. Granted it isn't as popular as .223/5.56 and the AR, but it isn't relegated to the niche world either. They don't hate the AR at all, they just prefer the AK. I was never a big AK fan myself, until I started tinkering with a modernized AK with better sights, furniture and a red dot. While I personally still find reloading cumbersome and the charging isn't so fluid, they are leaps and bounds better when done up with better parts. 

I remember growing up and going to the gun stores they had metal trash cans loaded with AKs and SKSs.  Maybe 25 in each can, 5 or 10 cans.  Just take your pick for $100.00 each and that included a bandoleer with 100 rounds of ammo.  If I only knew then what I know now....

4 minutes ago, wish2no said:

I remember growing up and going to the gun stores they had metal trash cans loaded with AKs and SKSs.  Maybe 25 in each can, 5 or 10 cans.  Just take your pick for $100.00 each and that included a bandoleer with 100 rounds of ammo.  If I only knew then what I know now....

No joke. My dad bought me a Norinco SKS in probably 1993 ish, paid under $170 ish for the rifle and a case of ammo. I want to say ammo was only $90 or so per 1000 back then.