srjdsmith

I need some advice on .30-06 for deer

I want a good .30-06 factory load for deer.

(if you have a factory load recommendation, you can skip this part: I have ‘06 dies, some bullets, 150 grain I think, primers, powder, and a ton of brass. But I’m not confident enough in my game to reload for hunting. I don’t want to develop a load, feel rushed to have it right.Pay no attention to the gray hair, I’ve really only been doing this for serious again for about 10 months. And any way, I’m giving/long-term loaning my rifle to my son so I won’t even have it, or be the one shooting it most of the time.)

I think I want a hunting-rated 165 grain boat tail. It would be good if it was one of the ‘common’ loads so that I can get it here, and my son can get the same up there. Not that it matters much, but it will be shot in a Ruger mod. 77s. (Currently dubbed the Hawkeye.) Mauser-type bolt. Typically dime-sized groups at 100 yards without really working at it.

We were very impressed with the Winchester Deer Season in .223 last year- 3 one shot kills (NOT hunting with a .223 this year). Federal Fusion gets good reviews. Winchester Super X loads are always a consideration. I like Hornady products...

So, there it is. I need a good .30-06 factory deer load.

My go to in 30-06 was always Remington Core lokt in 180g. Never lost a deer I hit with one.

• Like 1

All 30/06 don't shoot the same weight / style bullets the same . My 2 o6s like 165 partition in federal ammo so I worked up a load that shoots very well with them . If you don't mind paying for premium ammo try them .___ I have also gotten good groups and results with Winchester fail safe ammo . In all reality under 300 yards any 06 load is more than enough so pick one that hits where you aim and is available where you live .

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Virtually any of the available 165gr soft point or ballistic tip factory loads will be more than adequate for deer. I shot deer with Remington Core-Lokt 165gr and Federal 165gr SP out of the M1. They mostly went Bang, 10 seconds dead deer but there were a couple bang deer DRT. 

If it were me, I'd buy a box of each and see what the gun liked best and then hunt with it and keep the rest for backup. 

• Like 2

My garand LOVES Hornady 150 grain SSTs and my 700 loves 165 regular ol' spitzer power points.  

On 10/20/2019 at 5:49 PM, towtruck said:

My go to in 30-06 was always Remington Core lokt in 180g. Never lost a deer I hit with one.

I dont have a 30-06, but I have always had great success with the good old green box Remington Core-Lokt.  Inexpensive too.  Found it to be a lot more accurate than a lot of the other expensive brands/loads, at least in my rifle.

I have yet to meet a .30-06 bolt gun that doesn't shoot the Remington 180gr Core-Lokt at least acceptably. That's pretty much been the standard around here for many years. I think I have about 300 rounds of it squirreled away for various guns over the years. Still gets the nod for deer season, and it hasn't failed us yet. 

On 10/20/2019 at 7:49 PM, towtruck said:

+1   The last time I went hunting it dropped a feral pig right on the spot where I shot him.  I have a few boxes around for my Browning .30-06.

Edited by gshayd

When I purchase factory hunting ammo, it's always Federal Premium with Nosler Partitions.

When I hand load, it's Nosler Partitions. 257 Roberts, 270 Win and 30-06.

It's always a good idea to use quality ammo when hunting in an area where a bear will chomp you or a moose can stomp you.

Matt