adair_usmc

2019 bull elk season was a success

Though I was not able to repeat last years performance and bring home another 6x6, I was able to find a 4x4 on opening night.  My hunting partner was able to drop a nice 5x5 the next morning as well.  This was in the same general area I got my 6x6 in last year, so I think we have a new favorite area to hunt.  

e6PvJV1.jpg

PNmFN60.jpg

tUqhZ6Q.jpg

qWnOTNr.jpg

p2uVFma.jpg

9YKMbLx.mp4

First season bull ends tomorrow but we far as we would tell we were the only camps with elk hanging anywhere around. 

• Like 2

Well done Sir!

Got your deer and elk tags filled this year.

Thank you for sharing.

Glenn

Awesome! Congratulations!

18 hours ago, adair_usmc said:

Though I was not able to repeat last years performance and bring home another 6x6, I was able to find a 4x4 on opening night.  My hunting partner was able to drop a nice 5x5 the next morning as well.  This was in the same general area I got my 6x6 in last year, so I think we have a new favorite area to hunt.  

e6PvJV1.jpg

PNmFN60.jpg

tUqhZ6Q.jpg

qWnOTNr.jpg

p2uVFma.jpg

9YKMbLx.mp4

First season bull ends tomorrow but we far as we would tell we were the only camps with elk hanging anywhere around. 

Lucky bastiage!  Congratulations!!!  I so much want to hunt Elk but have no idea where to go.  I am so jealous!!  I know there are lots of areas here around the Corvallis area, but unless you know someone who knows the ropes you are pretty much spinning your wheels.  I envy you, and more congratulations!

23 hours ago, wish2no said:

Lucky bastiage!  Congratulations!!!  I so much want to hunt Elk but have no idea where to go.  I am so jealous!!  I know there are lots of areas here around the Corvallis area, but unless you know someone who knows the ropes you are pretty much spinning your wheels.  I envy you, and more congratulations!

thank you.  Those Roosevelt’s in the coast range can be like ghosts but it’s doable, my father in law is pretty successful for those around the tillamook area. Maybe some scouting in the Siuslaw National forest might be worthwhile.  

you can always come to the east side and hunt spike only with an over the counter tag.  I have had good luck with that tag despite everyone saying how hard of a hunt it is.  I am at about an 80% success rate with that hunt when I don’t draw branch antler tags (4 bulls in 5 seasons hunting that spike only hunt).  

• Like 1

Nice chunk of meat for the freezer Adair.  Congratulations.  

Good for you !  Fantastic.

Matt

WAY, cool, Marine !

That a lot of good eating. 

Congratulations !

I'd be interested in knowing what calibers and rounds you guys used, the shot distances, and how far the bulls traveled after the "thwack " ! 

I've wanted to go elk hunting since I bought my first .308 at age 16. so now it's on the bucket list. Until then,

I can live vicariously through your hunts. You two gotta be doing something right !        :thumb: 

2 hours ago, Retcop said:

WAY, cool, Marine !

That a lot of good eating. 

Congratulations !

I'd be interested in knowing what calibers and rounds you guys used, the shot distances, and how far the bulls traveled after the "thwack " ! 

I've wanted to go elk hunting since I bought my first .308 at age 16. so now it's on the bucket list. Until then,

I can live vicariously through your hunts. You two gotta be doing something right !        :thumb: 

I used a 300 win mag, and my hunting partner uses a 338 win mag. 

when I saw mine, I was able to shoot him at a distance of about 40 yards. I heard him being dumb and bugling in a thicket above where I was, so I blew on a cow call and he came right to me.  While we were getting that bull out we saw another 4pt about the same size run right by us with two cows in tow.   They 300 dropped him right there, but I put a second one in his neck to keep him from flopping around and suffering. 

The 5x5 was about a 50 yard shot or so.  He saw him with his head and front quarter behind some trees, but as he watched he noticed the branches moving as it turned his head and shot him right in the front shoulder with the 338.  He ran about 70 yards or so and died in between to close trees which was real fun to get him out of.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adair_usmc said:

I used a 300 win mag, and my hunting partner uses a 338 win mag. 

when I saw mine, I was able to shoot him at a distance of about 40 yards. I heard him being dumb and bugling in a thicket above where I was, so I blew on a cow call and he came right to me.  While we were getting that bull out we saw another 4pt about the same size run right by us with two cows in tow.   They 300 dropped him right there, but I put a second one in his neck to keep him from flopping around and suffering. 

The 5x5 was about a 50 yard shot or so.  He saw him with his head and front quarter behind some trees, but as he watched he noticed the branches moving as it turned his head and shot him right in the front shoulder with the 338.  He ran about 70 yards or so and died in between to close trees which was real fun to get him out of.  

Thanks much for sharing the tale. 

Time to throw a couple of logs in the fire pit.    :)

sweet!

Tonight I finished the homemade euro mounts for these bulls.  Looking pretty good I think, for being the first two elk euro mounts I have ever done. 

i8BFJm0.jpg

• Like 1

Outstanding!  Great season!