Jump to content
wish2no

Car Batteries

Recommended Posts

Been researching and researching.  Seems if you want the best you go with an Odyssey.  But twide the price of other batteries.  Anyone have suggestions or opinions on the best battery, or the best compromise between performance and price?  This is for a Chevy Silverado in OR so no huge temperature extremes, just want something I will NEVER have to worry about leaving me stranded.

Edited by wish2no
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I learned something early in my driving career, there is no such thing as a motor vehicle you will NEVER have to worry about being stranded in. My hunting buddy had one of those trucks with 2 gas tanks you could flip between with a switch. Redundancy is good but only when the spousal unit knows to fill BOTH tanks before you take off on your hunting trip. We were so far back from the highway when we discovered we were out of gas we would have been screwed. He had a gallon of Coleman fuel in the truck and we made it back to the highway on fumes and to the gas station on a prayer. 

Same goes for batteries. Two is one and one is none. I never had a truck with 2 batteries in it so I parked at the top of a lot of hills. Miss the days of manual transmission push starting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skip the deep cycling batteries or AGM, you don’t need that, just find a good interstate dealer in your area that cycles thru them, some shops carry em, but only sell a few so they sit for a long time....

 

get the biggest/most cold cranking amps that will fit in your factory battery box & you should be good for quite a few ears  as long as you drive it a few times a week. 
 

We got 6 years out of one interstate and 11 out of another, when the factory batteries go dead in current vehicles, will be replacing them with AGM interstate batteries..

Edited by Rampy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am running the AGM sold by O'Reilly's, it was considerably cheaper than the Optima. I will say that the last Optima I had was 11 years old, tested like new, and was sold in a vehicle that I know kept that battery for another 5. I bought a Bi-Mart battery for the wife's Jeep, and my Jeep, mainly because they needed new batteries, and I just didn't have the extra scratch to throw down for a couple Optimas. That was 7 or 8 years ago, and the one in the wife's TJ was doing fine when it was traded in this summer, and the one in my CJ seems to be fine, but most of the time when the Jeep isn't being used, it's on a battery maintainer. 

 

There are only 2-3 standard lead acid battery manufacturers in the country, most everything is just a name. Find one that works, has the warranty you want, and keep it maintained properly. Those Bi-Mart batteries are good to go, without question. I think I've got 5 in use at the moment, including the 2 deep cycle batteries in the trailer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MontanaLon said:

I learned something early in my driving career, there is no such thing as a motor vehicle you will NEVER have to worry about being stranded in. My hunting buddy had one of those trucks with 2 gas tanks you could flip between with a switch. Redundancy is good but only when the spousal unit knows to fill BOTH tanks before you take off on your hunting trip. We were so far back from the highway when we discovered we were out of gas we would have been screwed. He had a gallon of Coleman fuel in the truck and we made it back to the highway on fumes and to the gas station on a prayer. 

Same goes for batteries. Two is one and one is none. I never had a truck with 2 batteries in it so I parked at the top of a lot of hills. Miss the days of manual transmission push starting.

 

:yukyuk:  Unfortunately I totally understand the stranded part.  Broke a U-joint way the hell back (20 miles?) up some up, down and sideways logging road in ID.  Used a pair of tennis shoes as a splint with a hanger and duct tape to hold them in place.  That was a long, slow drive back out of them mountains!

 

Never would have thought to use the coleman fuel...  that will run a motor without damage... or I guess at all in an emergency??

Edited by wish2no
coleman fuel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pepper said:

I am running the AGM sold by O'Reilly's, it was considerably cheaper than the Optima. I will say that the last Optima I had was 11 years old, tested like new, and was sold in a vehicle that I know kept that battery for another 5. I bought a Bi-Mart battery for the wife's Jeep, and my Jeep, mainly because they needed new batteries, and I just didn't have the extra scratch to throw down for a couple Optimas. That was 7 or 8 years ago, and the one in the wife's TJ was doing fine when it was traded in this summer, and the one in my CJ seems to be fine, but most of the time when the Jeep isn't being used, it's on a battery maintainer. 

 

There are only 2-3 standard lead acid battery manufacturers in the country, most everything is just a name. Find one that works, has the warranty you want, and keep it maintained properly. Those Bi-Mart batteries are good to go, without question. I think I've got 5 in use at the moment, including the 2 deep cycle batteries in the trailer. 

 

THIS ^^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, wish2no said:

 

:yukyuk:  Unfortunately I totally understand the stranded part.  Broke a U-joint way the hell back (20 miles?) up some up, down and sideways logging road in ID.  Used a pair of tennis shoes as a splint with a hanger and duct tape to hold them in place.  That was a long, slow drive back out of them mountains!

 

Never would have thought to use the coleman fuel...  that will run a motor without damage... or I guess at all in an emergency??

White gas is essentially highly refine gasoline, unfortunately it has very low octane and can cause engine knock from preignition. It isn't recommended to be used in gas engines because of that. His truck was essentially brand new at that point and he wasn't happy about using it but we really had no choice other than walk to the nearest road and hope someone happened by. The issue we ran into was the "road" out had a several sections that were 30-45* inclines and the gas that was left in the tank would move away from the pickup and kill the engine. Adding the Coleman fuel gave it enough capacity to keep the pickup in the fuel long enough to get us to the top of the hills. On the way down the mountain we coasted quite a bit when we could and when we got to the gas station we were coasting because we had to. When we filled the tanks it took the rated capacity of both tanks plus 1/2 gallon. It never had any issues afterwards but he hit a cow and totalled it before the next hunting season so long term who knows.

 

His truck before that we lost the drive shaft up in the same area. Ended up putting it in 4wd and using the front to get us out and then he bought the new truck. His wife used it to go shopping and said she would fill the gas. She wasn't familiar with the 2 tank system and only filled the one and he didn't check before we went that both were full. The only other option I could come up with was poking a hole in one of the tanks and putting the gas all into 1 tank. Brand new truck he wasn't going to poke a hole in gas tank.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MontanaLon said:

White gas is essentially highly refine gasoline, unfortunately it has very low octane and can cause engine knock from preignition. It isn't recommended to be used in gas engines because of that. His truck was essentially brand new at that point and he wasn't happy about using it but we really had no choice other than walk to the nearest road and hope someone happened by. The issue we ran into was the "road" out had a several sections that were 30-45* inclines and the gas that was left in the tank would move away from the pickup and kill the engine. Adding the Coleman fuel gave it enough capacity to keep the pickup in the fuel long enough to get us to the top of the hills. On the way down the mountain we coasted quite a bit when we could and when we got to the gas station we were coasting because we had to. When we filled the tanks it took the rated capacity of both tanks plus 1/2 gallon. It never had any issues afterwards but he hit a cow and totalled it before the next hunting season so long term who knows.

 

His truck before that we lost the drive shaft up in the same area. Ended up putting it in 4wd and using the front to get us out and then he bought the new truck. His wife used it to go shopping and said she would fill the gas. She wasn't familiar with the 2 tank system and only filled the one and he didn't check before we went that both were full. The only other option I could come up with was poking a hole in one of the tanks and putting the gas all into 1 tank. Brand new truck he wasn't going to poke a hole in gas tank.  

I learned early on with those double tanks to figure out which tank was in use when there was no power to the switch. When the switches went bad they would revert to the tank that did not need power. Once I figured out which tank was the powered one I always ran on that tank and that way if the switch failed it would swap to the other full tank of gas. I changed a fuel pump on the side of the road with a gas gauge reading full.....only the switch went out and put me on the empty tank. You would then know your switch was out when the gas gauge stopped dropping as you drove. 

 

As far as batteries go...I like AC Delco if I can get them. Napa batteries don't take a beating very well and my Jeep kills them. Interstates have been good to me as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No matter what battery you buy, make sure not to Mickey mouse the tie down. 

I used a bungee cord when the j bolt broke on my scout. Needless to say,  the battery developed a hole in the case on a skid road. It was a long climb to the peak to get a marginal phone signal. When my wife brought out a new battery, it was a loooong walk from good road to the scout toting the new battery!😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×