Sign in to follow this  
wish2no

Huge car collection up for auction after barn discovery

Everybody has a large car collection but me.

1 minute ago, NONEYA said:

Everybody has a large car collection but me.

Be nice, but what baffles me is how anyone can collect so many cars and no one seems to know about it until they die.  Seems at least you would want a few cars fixed up in pristine condition than a hundred in decay.  On the other hand, many of those cars no matter the condition are probably worth a fortune.  I guess long as you have the money to purchase and space to store could be a good investment.

My current vehicle is a 24 year old chevy silverado.  Great condition.  Wondering if better to sell for a pittance I will be offered or park, cover and maintain for who knows haw many years as an investment. 

Most people have two things going against them. One is no room or money to buy all those cars.

Some of those people buy them thinking that some day they will restore them.

I sold one of my Model A's to a man that had a collection. He got all his cars by buying one and then tearing it apart to fix something. He would then buy a bunch of parts but never put the car back together. He then would buy another car and do the same thing. When he died he had many Model A's all torn apart to certain degrees....including the one I sold him. He had a shop full of engines, tires, and other parts. He had a room in his house with $20,000 in new parts. He had a cabin as well and there were more parts there that I did not get to see. 

Another guy had a barn out in the middle of nowhere and inside were rare cars,  Jeeps,  Hit and miss engines, tractors, and other goodies. I know another guy that had 50-100 hit and miss engines under his house, stage coaches, carousels, cars, tractors and other crap. . I know several more people with acres of old tractors, engines, and cars. 

Guy I worked with has no mechanical ability but he bought every old Chevy pickup and Jeep he could find. He paid top dollar and let them all sit. I was going to buy a pickup off of him but he wanted running vehicle price for a truck that needed 6K in work to make roadworthy. He tore one Jeep down and had the body customized and painted and it has sat tore apart for ten plus years now. Same with a car...built it for his niece and then got mad at her so the car sits half done for 10 years.....he has four or five vehicles that way. He bought a brand new Kubota 50 hp tractor...drove it brand new into the shop an d there it has sat for almost ten years if not more.......my point is people do weird things with no way to explain it.

This girl I went to school with, her grandfather was a little nutty. He worked in used cars over several decades. He would buy cars that struck his fancy, or that just intrigued him. If he could get a stellar deal on a car, he'd buy it. He never sold any. When he died, his wife thought he just had the 25 or so cars on their property. She thought she'd take her time selling them off. Most were in pretty poor shape, but there were semi trailers filled with some pretty rare parts and pieces. She thought it might be difficult, but then she found out it would be nearly impossible. She started getting bills for warehouse rent. She sent her oldest boy to check things out, and he eventually located 7 or 8 different buildings or warehouses that the old guy had rented over the years. Each and every one was completely stuffed with cars, parts, and none of it was complete junk. All locked away in dry storage. Some were common as dirt, and nobody cared. Some were really rare. It took them almost a dozen years to go through and liquidate all the cars and trucks he had. The grand total was somewhere north of 150 cars, and several semi loads of parts. I bought a truck from them, it was nothing special, and the old guy probably got it for peanuts 20 years before and just stashed it away. \

I remember the girl's dad complaining that he moved 11 Nash Metropolitans from a warehouse to their home in preparation for getting them running and ready to sell, and they all turned up missing the carburetors. Apparently (only going by what he told me, I know nothing of this) the Nash carburetor was a direct bolt-on replacement for a Harley Davidson carburetor, and with a little tinkering, would run better and make more power on the Harley than the stock carb ever could. 

WOW!!!!