wish2no

Dead at 1968 Feet: Meet the Newest Sniper Rifle for the Army

Not sure I have this in the correct forum, feel free to move if needed.  Thanks

SNIP:" The U.S. Army is preparing to issue thousands of new rifles to infantry squads across the service. The M110A1 Squad Designated Marksman Rifle (SDMR) is designed to extend the reach of infantry units largely equipped with short-barreled carbines. The SDMR will give one in nine infantrymen the ability to not only penetrate existing body armor but engage point targets at ranges of 600 meters (1968 feet).    The M110A1 is an accurate weapon, with the company claiming a guaranteed accuracy of 1.5 minutes of angle (MOA) at 100 meters. The U.S. Army is fitting the M110A1 with the Sig Sauer Tango 6 optic. The Tango 6 is a variable power optic capable of swinging from 1x unpowered view all the way up to 6x magnification. Six power magnification allows for a good amount of zoom while maintaining an excellent field of view. The reticle is calibrated for the 7.62-millimeter round, "

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/dead-1968-feet-meet-newest-sniper-rifle-army-93856

13 minutes ago, wish2no said:

Not sure I have this in the correct forum, feel free to move if needed.  Thanks

SNIP:" The U.S. Army is preparing to issue thousands of new rifles to infantry squads across the service. The M110A1 Squad Designated Marksman Rifle (SDMR) is designed to extend the reach of infantry units largely equipped with short-barreled carbines. The SDMR will give one in nine infantrymen the ability to not only penetrate existing body armor but engage point targets at ranges of 600 meters (1968 feet).    The M110A1 is an accurate weapon, with the company claiming a guaranteed accuracy of 1.5 minutes of angle (MOA) at 100 meters. The U.S. Army is fitting the M110A1 with the Sig Sauer Tango 6 optic. The Tango 6 is a variable power optic capable of swinging from 1x unpowered view all the way up to 6x magnification. Six power magnification allows for a good amount of zoom while maintaining an excellent field of view. The reticle is calibrated for the 7.62-millimeter round, "

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/dead-1968-feet-meet-newest-sniper-rifle-army-93856

Going through some comments after some links, I found a promotional film produced by Stoner and company which was a sales promotion 

for the original AR 10 with the built in "carry handle" and and the trigger shaped charging handle on the top of the receiver, under the carry handle. 

Caliber: 7.62 x 51 NATO. 

I was absolutely amazed at how controllable the rifle was in full auto fire, and they even demonstrated a shooter depicting having use of only one arm,

and was still able to (mostly) control FA fire at close range,  standing up of all things. Is really making me rethink the AR10 platform.  Since I am not having to hump heavy ammo on recon missions through the jungles of Vietnam, or the mountains of Afghanistan, I have to put firing an AR-10 on my must do list. I do have what I need to feed it, it would just have to share with the M1A...

Not a Sniper Rifle. It is the Squad Dedicated Marksman Rifle. Big Difference. The SDMR's primary job is to deliver accurate aimed fire up to 600 meters in support of his squad.. They are part of an infantry squad. Snipers operate individually as part of a two-man team and are assigned specific targets.

Edited by gshayd

On 11/7/2019 at 1:32 PM, Retcop said:

Going through some comments after some links, I found a promotional film produced by Stoner and company which was a sales promotion 

for the original AR 10 with the built in "carry handle" and and the trigger shaped charging handle on the top of the receiver, under the carry handle. 

Caliber: 7.62 x 51 NATO. 

I was absolutely amazed at how controllable the rifle was in full auto fire, and they even demonstrated a shooter depicting having use of only one arm,

and was still able to (mostly) control FA fire at close range,  standing up of all things. Is really making me rethink the AR10 platform.  Since I am not having to hump heavy ammo on recon missions through the jungles of Vietnam, or the mountains of Afghanistan, I have to put firing an AR-10 on my must do list. I do have what I need to feed it, it would just have to share with the M1A...

I LOVE my AR10.  So unbelievably accurate.  Had hoped to use it for hunting, but here in OR the laws/rules are so complicated I have not even tried to hunt.  Maybe i will meet someone someday who will show me the ropes.  Same with fishing.  So frigging complicated I am afraid to own a fishing pole. 

In any case new problem is, accurate as the rifle is it is damn heavy for me now.  I love it, but cant carry it.  Would have to be set in a blind somewhere with an ATV who would retrieve me and my rifle.  !2-15 pounds dosend sound like much to the younger folks, but for me it really inhibits me walking far with it.

One of those rifles I love but should probably part with.  God I hate that thought after putting so much into it and getting it set to precision.  But, for me, just to heavy.  Be a great home defense weapon shooting out a window, but for sporting purposes, sadly I just cant manage it anymore.

3 hours ago, wish2no said:

Had hoped to use it for hunting, but here in OR the laws/rules are so complicated I have not even tried to hunt.  Maybe i will meet someone someday who will show me the ropes.  Same with fishing.  So frigging complicated I am afraid to own a fishing pole. 

Brother, we need to do an Armory hunting trip. You live in some of the best blacktail area in the state. Ditto for fishing. I don't get out hunting nearly as much as I'd like, same with fishing. We have world class hunting and fishing in this state, we've got to take advantage of it. I can loan you a rifle that's a little smaller if you need it... 

4 hours ago, wish2no said:

I LOVE my AR10.  So unbelievably accurate.  Had hoped to use it for hunting, but here in OR the laws/rules are so complicated I have not even tried to hunt.  Maybe i will meet someone someday who will show me the ropes.  Same with fishing.  So frigging complicated I am afraid to own a fishing pole. 

In any case new problem is, accurate as the rifle is it is damn heavy for me now.  I love it, but cant carry it.  Would have to be set in a blind somewhere with an ATV who would retrieve me and my rifle.  !2-15 pounds dosend sound like much to the younger folks, but for me it really inhibits me walking far with it.

One of those rifles I love but should probably part with.  God I hate that thought after putting so much into it and getting it set to precision.  But, for me, just to heavy.  Be a great home defense weapon shooting out a window, but for sporting purposes, sadly I just cant manage it anymore.

You need on of those POF's that that IS the same size as an AR15.    7.3 pounds.  Their DI . 308 is only  6.81 pounds with 16.5 inch bbl  ! !

I bet you could build a lightweight AR10 with with 16-18-inch BBL, either went deep into your pockets for a super lightweight rail, or stuck to the original polymer handguards. I bet you could bring it in for not that much over a bolt action with scope. Don't really need the accessory rail  picatinny handguard for hunting, flattop on upper receiver would be GTG for an optic, and the ammo limit for hunting is probably 3-4 round. You don't need a heavyweight barrel profile for hunting, c'mom go for it. 

And I'll take that old, heavy AR10 off your hands. 

And's what's this about you right to kill and eat fish ?  Gotta have something to do with the salmon runs, right ?

You need a featherweight rod with a bell on it, get you an old fashioned bobber, dig a can of worms, and sit under a tree with your favorite beverage and a sammich watching the clouds roll by, waiting for the bell to ring. Now that's fishing !       

Put some used coffee grounds in the dirt with the worms. They love the stuff and it help keeps them "active".    :segrin:

19 hours ago, Pepper said:

Brother, we need to do an Armory hunting trip. You live in some of the best blacktail area in the state. Ditto for fishing. I don't get out hunting nearly as much as I'd like, same with fishing. We have world class hunting and fishing in this state, we've got to take advantage of it. I can loan you a rifle that's a little smaller if you need it... 

I have property.  Plenty of room for 2-3 RV's and can supply electricity.  Also have my Sportsman 800 ATV ready and willing to go.  Have the long Tom river 2 miles away.  Junction city fishing pond 30 minutes away.  Fineley game preserve is just 10 minutes up the road where I think the oregon or world record elk was take.  Have 60 HUGE, Wild turkeys haunting me tearing up my property, love to be ridden of some of them.  New hot tub seems to be working ok, have a great RecTec pellet grill ready to fire up.  2 ranges, one 100 feet the other 100 yards. You let me know.  You are always welcome.  Be good to see you again!  Like I said, I love all these things but just stamied by Or laws and regulations.  Desperately want to do some surf fishing and shell fish digging, but OR makes it impossible to know.  $5.00 a pound is a lot cheaper than going to jail because you dont understand their literature.  I can literally go out and get a turkey with a baseball bat if I wanted to.  Just dont feel like cleaning the damn thing.

John

4 minutes ago, wish2no said:

I have property.  Plenty of room for 2-3 RV's and can supply electricity.  Also have my Sportsman 800 ATV ready and willing to go.  Have the long Tom river 2 miles away.  Junction city fishing pond 30 minutes away.  Fineley game preserve is just 10 minutes up the road where I think the oregon or world record elk was take.  Have 60 HUGE, Wild turkeys haunting me tearing up my property, love to be ridden of some of them.  New hot tub seems to be working ok, have a great RecTec pellet grill ready to fire up.  2 ranges, one 100 feet the other 100 yards. You let me know.  You are always welcome.  Be good to see you again!  Like I said, I love all these things but just stamied by Or laws and regulations.  Desperately want to do some surf fishing and shell fish digging, but OR makes it impossible to know.  $5.00 a pound is a lot cheaper than going to jail because you dont understand their literature.  I can literally go out and get a turkey with a baseball bat if I wanted to.  Just dont feel like cleaning the damn thing.

John

When I get some of my ducks in a row, we'll have to make it happen. I love clamming and crabbing, and since I've done it a few times, the regulations aren't that scary. I've never shot a wild turkey, that might be fun too. We will definitely get together this next year to make something happen. Maybe I can con Newbe into tagging along, see if he wants to whack a critter or three. 

11 minutes ago, Pepper said:

When I get some of my ducks in a row, we'll have to make it happen. I love clamming and crabbing, and since I've done it a few times, the regulations aren't that scary. I've never shot a wild turkey, that might be fun too. We will definitely get together this next year to make something happen. Maybe I can con Newbe into tagging along, see if he wants to whack a critter or three. 

Yeh, Newbie absolutely welcome too!  Love to see him again also!  He is a good person.    Just a 1 1/2 - 2  hours south of you.  Could just as easy almost be a day trip.   But always welcome to stay the night or a couple of days.  Or, love to meet you somewhere along to coast if you have a spot searched out.  Maybe do a fishing boat trip with you guys...  I keep thinking about that.  Any case, Mi Casa es su casa.

1 minute ago, wish2no said:

Yeh, Newbie absolutely welcome too!  Love to see him again also!  He is a good person.    Just a 1 1/2 - 2  hours south of you.  Could just as easy almost be a day trip.   But always welcome to stay the night or a couple of days.  Or, love to meet you somewhere along to coast if you have a spot searched out.  Maybe do a fishing boat trip with you guys...  I keep thinking about that.  Any case, Mi Casa es su casa.

And TowTruck if he wants to make the treck.  He is welcome always also.  Longer drive for him but like I said,  He can always stay and camp out.  Have one bedroom I can free up, but couches, car ports, floors.... Always make room.  That way no need to bring a bunch of stuff, just enough to get here and back safely.  Make it an easy trip.