juancts

PSA or BCM for pistol project ???

I'm planning my first AR pistol build. Both Palmetto State and Bravo Company have complete AR pistol uppers available. BCM is more expensive. Which one you prefer and why ??? Which brand is better quality ???

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

For a pistol, I'd go with the cheaper PSA, and do the BCM for a more serious rifle/carbine. But that's just me. YMMV

18 minutes ago, Longhair said:

For a pistol, I'd go with the cheaper PSA, and do the BCM for a more serious rifle/carbine. But that's just me. YMMV

I agree. PSA is the route for a pistol build. For a registered SBR or a SHTF carbine, I would go with a BCM short barreled upper assembly or something equivalent.

So a pistol build is considered a "less than" because it's braced? Interesting.

15 minutes ago, bamashooter said:

If you say so.

I consider it less because it is less......than a carbine or rifle. Longer range accuracy certainly is less. Less pleasant to shoot if you don't have a can, too.

1 hour ago, bamashooter said:

To me, a true AR pistol is less than optimal. What many guys are building these days are essentially SBRs with questionable braces and without the tax stamp. Many build them this way to avoid the registration process and application fee that is required for a SBR. You rarely see anyone building a proper SBR anymore due to the alternative use that has been discovered for these braces. Personally, I am not a fan. I would much rather have a real SBR (of which I have three registered) and go all out with a good quality build with great performance. I have considered building another AR pistol using a PSA upper and a cheek rest kit from Thordsen Customs as I am not a fan of the braces. This would be a "real" AR pistol and not a pseudo SBR. Since I have not found any good reason to build a pistol, that thought has been put on the back burner. I have been considering building another SBR with the complete lower assembly I have right now. I would like to build a PDW.

Not to mention the permission required in order to transport a SBR to another state.

I have one registered lower and 300 BO and 556 upper.

2 hours ago, Longhair said:

Less pleasant to shoot if you don't have a can, too.

Um, we're talking about a large .22. Not exactly teeth jarring. Even my 8.5" is only a tad louder than a carbine.  Regarding accuracy; no difference within its maximum effective range which is easily out to 100m.

10 minutes ago, bamashooter said:

Um, we're talking about a large .22. Not exactly teeth jarring. Even my 8.5" is only a tad louder than a carbine.  Regarding accuracy; no difference within its maximum effective range which is easily out to 100m.

Everything but my pistol starts @ 100m/100yds. I don't bother shooting my carbines or rifles at anything less, and for that as well as a SHTF battle rifle I would go for BCM over PSA.

I only have one PSA upper, and that's my Dissy. I was having too much trouble finding a 16" barrel with a mid-length gas port that would accommodate a FSB, and PSA ran a deal on Dissy uppers, so I bought one.

Edited by Longhair
  • Like 1

Reckon it depends on where you live. I have only one (20" w/ scope) zeroed at 100m. Carbines and pistols are at 50m. Any lasers at 25m. "........  PSA ran a deal on Dissy uppers, so I bought one." How do you like it?

2 hours ago, bamashooter said:

<snip>"PSA ran a deal on Dissy uppers, so I bought one." How do you like it?

I love it! Changed out the handguard, added a carry handle, swapped the standard front sight post for a KNS hooded duplex, and put it on a lower with an A1 stock.

AeXJ0Tn.jpg

• Like 1

Oh yeah, very nice one. Must have missed it when you built it. 

Is this for the range or for self defense ? 

If it's for self defense, what kind of ammo do you plan to use ? 

Is this for the range or for self defense ? 
If it's for self defense, what kind of ammo do you plan to use ? 
I want it for self defense and and some occasional indoor range practice. So, it's gonna be short range all the time with cheap fmj brass ammo.

20 minutes ago, juancts said:

I want it for self defense and and some occasional indoor range practice. So, it's gonna be short range all the time with cheap fmj brass ammo.

For self defense, I would pick up some premium self defense rounds, and check your POI compared with your range rounds, to make sure

you are still on target.  The 5.56 excellent terminal ballistics depend on adequate velocities, and a pistol will not generate those velocities even at the muzzle.

Plus there is less worry of over penetration since you will just be punching ,22 caliber holes in bad guys with FMJ's out of a pistol. 

I prefer Speer Gold Dots, PSA used to run them very cheap. Hornady will do well also. They will also be made to produce less muzzle flash, although I don't know how much difference the flash will be in a really short barrel even with low flash powder.

Like Greg, I prefer a sidearm for social engagements, but I always say,

"Shoot what you like, and like what you shoot.)

Trust me on the SD rounds for home defense. It's worth the investment in at least 120 rounds.

Two mags to test function and accuracy, and two mags to have on hand.

I consider the 60 for testing a bare minimum.

If 60 rounds does not fix your problem, carry on with your range ammo, or get a mortar.    :segrin:

Edited by Retcop
typo