Sign in to follow this  
bamashooter

Slip Ring vs Delta Ring Question

The slip ring has no recess for the retainer clip as the delta ring does. How does it retain the guts?

1 hour ago, bamashooter said:

The slip ring has no recess for the retainer clip as the delta ring does. How does it retain the guts?

Richard, where did you get that information? The slip ring (or flat ring as some call it) and the Delta ring have the same recess for the internals (retaining clip and weld spring). The only difference is that the slip ring has a flat design and the Delta ring is tapered. I have installed many a slip ring and Delta ring and they install the exact same way.

Looking at mine. However, I cannot tell a lie. Totally forgot the recess for the retainer clip is on the rear of the barrel nut; not the ring. Sad with shame. Too much going on today. Thanks.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bamashooter said:

Looking at mine. However, I cannot tell a lie. Totally forgot the recess for the retainer clip is on the rear of the barrel nut; not the ring. Sad with shame. Too much going on today. Thanks.

Glad you noticed that. If the retaining clip did not sit in that groove in the barrel nut, all the slip ring or Delta ring would do is slide back and forth and it would not secure the handguard very well at all as the weld spring would not have any tension. It is a royal pain installing that retaining clip if you do not have the proper tool. One day, I am going to get a pair of retaining clip pliers.

Edited by TackleberryMCS

I have excellent pairs of assorted snap ring pliers. I normally end up doing my final positioning with a very thin screwdriver and/or pick tool.

Yep, one of those days. Grabbed a slip ring for unknown reasons today and was giving it the once over. Where's my damn groove? Spent 2-3 hours googling everything I could think of trying to figure out the reason why. Then it hit me. I had to laugh. 

• Like 1