Rampy

Oil....Pandora's Box

Was looking at going to a synthetic oil for the 3.5Ltt in the Raptor instead of whatever the dealer has been putting in it.....and good grief, the data on different oils is enough to make ones head explode....and then throw in oils with European specifications that are better than American oils....

And since it's a turbo needs a higher sheer strength oil (HTHS) in the recommended viscosity & yet Ford came out with a new/upgraded oil spec since we purchased the truck that meets a new oil rating called SN plus, my brain is bleeding from all this......

Kendal, Pennzoil, Mobile 1 ESP or M1Truck & SUV , Valvoline Advanced,  Castrol Edge.....are a few of the highly recommended oils.......

Ford specs a ILSAC 5w30 lube meeting their spec which will have an HTHS of 2.9-3.5cp with most around 3.0cp

Regular M1 5w30 has and HTHS of 3.1cp. Valvoline Advanced 5w30 has a HTHS of 3.2cp. Castrol EDGE 5w30 SN+ has an HTHS of 3.04.

Mobil 1 ESP has an HTHS of 3.58cp which is in line with its required range/spec among ACEA (European) standard.

ESP is more “stout” in viscosity, but Regular M1 5w30 is a very stout lube for an ILSAC lube that will exceed Fords spec.

I'm leaning towards going with Mobil 1 ESP, never used Mobile 1 before, might be time to check it out.....

81gf-rGo5WL._SY355_.jpg

I can hook you up with a guy who will custom make oil for your specific application if you want. Way better than anything off the shelf.

I've been a huge fan of Castrol Edge. I use it in my turbo 4 cyl. I get better fuel economy and longer change intervals that the factory fill, which was Mobil 1.

I use Castrol in all my vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I used to use Castrol exclusively when I used to race.  I have grown to like the Mobile 1 for my passenger truck.

I usually use Royal Purple. I went with Mobil 1 on the last oil change I did on the new Jeep just because it was cheaper at the time. FCA requires synthetic oil that meets their latest specs, and most synthetics meet those standards. 

bobistheoilguy.com is an interesting site, filled with all sorts of interesting info. A chunk of it goes right over my head, but what I do understand is very educational, and made me feel better about my choice. 

1 hour ago, Pepper said:

I usually use Royal Purple. I went with Mobil 1 on the last oil change I did on the new Jeep just because it was cheaper at the time. FCA requires synthetic oil that meets their latest specs, and most synthetics meet those standards. 

bobistheoilguy.com is an interesting site, filled with all sorts of interesting info. A chunk of it goes right over my head, but what I do understand is very educational, and made me feel better about my choice. 

The Dodge dealer we go to 90% of the time has Royal Purple or Pennzoil and we have been using  Royal Purple in the charger.

When they found the porous block and put in a new block talking to them, they recommended breaking in the new crate motor with Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic as Dodge/SRT worked with Pennzoil in developing the SRT/Hellcat motors and this oil specifically for each other. Once we break in the new motor....not quite sure what oil I'll go with, but chances are will go back to Royal Purple as the dealer carries it & we have a extended warranty for the Charger & baby it......

As far as the Raptor......still not sure what way to go.....we got 5 free oil changes from the dealer & have had to pay for 2 oil changes while traveling & so far just been using the Ford factory recommended oil for the 450hp 3.5 twin turbo.......is 4 oil changes in under 1 year to many for the Raptor :laugh::laugh:

What oil is a matter of time with conditions decreasing time.

One of the worst things we do is figure oil changes on miles not everyone drives the same.  That said, so far, I've not found the oil as long as it meets standards that doesn't last 3,000 miles.  Its pushing that envelope the synthetics come into their own, however we must keep in mind two things degrade oil "Thinning" due to heat, pressure, and sheering and "Dirty" due to engine deposits. 

My problem child is actually not my cars but my motorcycle which is an air cooled approximately 1,700 cc engine with oil cooler.  You want to learn about oil or oil brands, put your legs around that monster.  When the oil starts to go, you can hear it and feel it.  Though Harley says 5,000 miles, in high heat and high humidity I'm lucky to get 3,000 miles and I've used nothing but synthetics designed for motorcycles .  I got some surprises.  For example, Mobil 1 V-Twin an oil I've had great success on water cooled motorcycle, crapped out really fast in that Harley.  As a result of this problem, man there's more specialty motorcycle oils than Kelloggs has cornflakes.  You have to get radical thinking out of the box to stretch the range.  What I can tell you is to my dismay and shock Harley oil did best.  Its blended for Harley by Citgo.  Then I learned by trying a bunch of those specialty oils why?  Its an Ester oil thus the red color.  Its a different oil type.  Now equate that to car oils that is Royal Purple and Redline. 

This whole experience has not picky at all on my cars anymore.  I go with frequency with those choosing a brand name that meets the standards.  I buy my oil changes in advance to save money and then just change every 3,000 miles or if the oil shows signs of crapping out.  I got about 50 years of looking at oils from air cooled bikes and rubbing between my fingers to tell when an oil is crapping out.  Here's a hint lol if its black as coal and thin as lighter fluid, boy are you way overdue.  LOL

Anyway to sum up, hard to beat Ester based oils for harsh conditions. 

Now for some oil trivia, nice to knows in a pinch.  In lab sheer testing surprisingly virgin oil Castrol GTX comes very close to matching the synthetics.  The new Castrol V-Twin RS was actually the closest oleochemical oil I found in my Harley to the Ester oils.  Surprising specialty oil for motorcycles I give the nod to Bel Ray but then its right up there in cost with the Ester oils. 

Ultimately what I learned though was liquid cooled motors are not as big a hassle as air cooled and frequency makes up for a less than stellar performance.

Tj