Sign in to follow this  
Flesh Wound

Easy to keep foods for a get home bag.

I've heard the suggestions of MREs and even those 'lifeboat rations'. 

I'm looking or something that may keep better in a vehicle. We don't get too cold here in North Texas but the summers are brutal. Often over 100F for weeks at a time.

So ideally whatever I put in my GHB needs to have a reasonable life in a vehicle. Yes, I understand you need to swap out food items from a GHB periodically.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Twinkies and Spam! Both are indestructible! :segrin:

Seriously, with the hot weather stored in a vehicle. Dry foods are your best bet.

Just make sure you have the water and a way to cook it. 

Added another canteen configuration to my minimal set up.

TDcSdF5.jpg

New Helikon-Tex E&E pouch

pmm4VVp.jpg

And the stuff that goes inside it.

Need to post a thread on this addition and the different components that can be used depending on the situation.

Thanks,

Glenn

8 hours ago, Flesh Wound said:

I've heard the suggestions of MREs and even those 'lifeboat rations'. 

I'm looking or something that may keep better in a vehicle. We don't get too cold here in North Texas but the summers are brutal. Often over 100F for weeks at a time.

So ideally whatever I put in my GHB needs to have a reasonable life in a vehicle. Yes, I understand you need to swap out food items from a GHB periodically.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

in my truck bag that stays in the locked bed I have some Clif bars.  They drier the better because heat and cold will vary wildly in any vehicle.

Mountain House freeze dried foods. Buy on the web or run down to your local sporting goods store or Wally World. You will need an ample supply of water in addition to what you will need to drink.

coffee.jpg.bc6bcf7bb9b803a9c7dafc819a9a313e.jpg

Oh. My. I did not know they made this.... I love Cafe Bustelo (and El Pico!)

The more I think about this, a goal I want is as little prep time as possible. I'll also not be putting a lot of food in this bag as the intention is as 'get home' bag. Not a bug out. With that in mind I'll be going with some New Millennium bars. They are like lifeboat rations but are reported to taste much better.

Even though I really love the Mountain House products the fact they need boiling hot water rules them out. I do not want to also have to carry anymore than absolutely necessary to get home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flesh Wound said:

coffee.jpg.bc6bcf7bb9b803a9c7dafc819a9a313e.jpg

Oh. My. I did not know they made this.... I love Cafe Bustelo (and El Pico!)

The more I think about this, a goal I want is as little prep time as possible. I'll also not be putting a lot of food in this bag as the intention is as 'get home' bag. Not a bug out. With that in mind I'll be going with some New Millennium bars. They are like lifeboat rations but are reported to taste much better.

Even though I really love the Mountain House products the fact they need boiling hot water rules them out. I do not want to also have to carry anymore than absolutely necessary to get home.

My local groceries stores sell them. They can also be ordered on line. My only issues is the stick is for 6 oz. of water. So I double up for 12 oz.

Honestly, if you need to take a 10 minute break "getting back home".

You can have a cup of coffee. Takes about 7 minutes from lighting the Esbit fuel cube to boiling water.

A basic "canteen kit" for me is something like this. (canteen stoves vary depending on use)

YYzzy4e.jpg

Basic Molle canteen pouch set up.

itqqk4x.jpg

What's inside.

0YYqkSm.jpg

Set up for cooking.

Very simple, low visibility and fairly compact.

Biggest thing is for comfort and morale. People sometimes just need that cup of Joe!  :anim_coffee: 

Just something to think about.

Thanks,

Glenn

The biggest problem with vehicle storage is heat. Your standard MRE, A-Pack or whatever other ready to eat ration will not store well in heat. During our hurricane event last year, we had mostly canned goods to live off of. Spam, soups, vegetables, mixed with a lot of rice and beans. It was bearable, but you still needed a heat source and water. Water was not an issue due to the many relief points. For heat, you were on your own. I have a bunch of camp  cooking gear, a burner ring and a bunch of stainless my wife makes kimchi in. The best emergency rations we were able to receive were the A Packs. These are smaller then an MRE, but are precooked and come with a heat source, just add water. I have a few of those in my bag, along with the standard beef jerky, power bars and the other usual stuff.

This site has some wisdom on what will store well in a vehicle. https://crisisequipped.com/emergency-food-for-car/

• Like 2