adamr19745

Vise

I have a very old vise. It is a Reed model 25a ive google replacement jaws can't find any replacement jaws. Can any of you give me any ideas where to get some or have some made that won't cost a arm and a leg to get.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

Sorry I cant help but you have a jewel in a sea of Chinese junk.  A good American made vice is now well north of $400 the last time I looked.  I hope you can find what you need.  FaceBook Marketplace is a good source for old stuff like that.  I recently bought eight used  pipe wrenches, three 24-, one 18", two 14" and two 12"s for $90.   Five were Rigid and one Ace Hardware made in America and three chinese.  The American made ones were worth close to $400 new.  I wire wheeled them and repainted the handles and pressed them right into service.  While the Chinese ones worked, the MiUSA were much better. 

Point being the older made in America are the jewels you want to keep.  Three for me and I randomly gave the other 5 to my apprentices.and will stay in service for years ti come.  Well maybe not the steel 24" one that out weighed the kid who got it.

Edited by hlhneast
  • Like 1

Never thought about one vice being better than another.  They clamp and hold stuff.  I did some googling and never did find a picture of the vice or what makes it special, curious to know... obviously I dont use vices for much more than routine work... but did find this link for replacement jaw facings if that is what you are looking for:

https://store.armyproperty.com/products/reed-25-1-2jf-25a-former-reed-vises-jaw-facings-pai.html

15 hours ago, wish2no said:

Never thought about one vice being better than another.  They clamp and hold stuff.  I did some googling and never did find a picture of the vice or what makes it special, curious to know... obviously I dont use vices for much more than routine work... but did find this link for replacement jaw facings if that is what you are looking for:

https://store.armyproperty.com/products/reed-25-1-2jf-25a-former-reed-vises-jaw-facings-pai.html

Many vices do more than merrily hold stuff . Some you can beat on while bending forming or holding  and others  well  just DON'T !. Like China harbor freight crap or you'll end up with cheap scrap crap !.

Old heavy duty vices are just that  RELIABLE  ! .Simply put their Jaws work in tandem  with the lead screw ,  in holding  work fast  or secure . Without losing up while pounding something .

I've got an old Colombian 5 1/2  I bought so many years back can't remember  . Picked it up at a garage sale along with Bonney , Rigid and Plumb hand tools  . Manufactured  Before WWll  for sure .

Also later acquired  a set of Diamond Calk Horse Shoe  adjustable  wrenches .  I've got a set of Pliers  that NO one has a clue as to WHAT their for ???. A friend who owned a fencing company thinks they were a Farm / Ranch  utility tool  but admitted he had Never seen  all of the features  that this one has .

Besides having  several machinist self centering  quick lock metal vices , along with  Machining block vises  ; I have an old Record wood  quick release vice and  a blacksmiths forging pattern anvil 250-300 lb  .

Oh and Pipe clamp vices of various vintage sizes and such  Plumb Rigid  .

Sounds great for the non-professional.  If I came across one in my travels at a reasonable price would snatch it up, even though, for my laymans projects wouldnt make much a difference.  I like quality and precision.  Wish I had considered that 30 years ago.  Now, at my age, I have learned to compensate for the differences.  Not saying better, just doing the best with what I have.  Improvisation is your friend, especially, like I said, at maybe at my age, for those rare needs, I am good with what I have.  That being said, I dont know what I have.  I have 2 vices mounted that I use all the time and 2 more I picked up at the good will store I hav not mounted.  For 3.50 I could sell as scrap and and make a profit.  Now that I have retired, I hope to clean and clear things up to where it is easy to access everything.  I LOVE quality, but time overwhelms me.  Especially during the winter when the days are so cold, wet and short.  Hopefully I can motivate myself to start organizing things this winter.  So far, not happened.  VERY disappointing in myself at myself.  TOO DAMN EASY to say I will do it tomorrow.  Then dosent get done due to other priorities.  Is what it is.  You will totally understand when you reach my age!  Give me encouragement and a reprieve... doing the best I can with the resources available to me.

• Like 1

I got a really good deal on a Wilton 400 a few years back.  It's a horse!  I never realized how expensive they were until I started doing a few internet searches.  If you can find a good old one cheap, snatch it up.  

• Like 1

I got this one several years back for 25 dollars. At the time didn't realize what old vises went for

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk