Casper

A question about hunting

So the end of the world is here and people are looting and killing to survive. We all pretend to be the biggest badass around, but in reality, avoiding any and all conflict is the best idea. 

As the population shrinks, your 500 acre compound could easily go unseen by people traveling through the area. The closer you are to fresh water might actually work against you. 

Back to the hunting question. Are you planning to hunt with a rifle? Anyone looking to loot or take advantage of you is much more likely to follow the sound of a rifle than a bow or trap. 

Even a one shot, one kill moment means someone's going to spend more time looking for who made that shot, even if its location can't immediately be determined. 

What say you? 

My suppressed .22 is my friend in that situation. 

• Like 2

Look at Venezuela if you plan to hunt your way to feeding yourself during TEOTWAWKI.

Simply put, as huge a success as the American conservation movement was, it would only take a short time to reverse it all with unrestricted hunting.

hunting would not be my first choice as it is just not the most productive thing to do with time or energy.  Trapping, fishing and such is going to be much more productive.

Down south lets say I get even a small deer.  It’s not like I am going to be able to drop it off at the processor.  So now depending on what time I year it is most of that meat is going to go to waste.  Think of the energy involved and maybe more importantly the evidence of my existence it leaves behind.  It’s too humid to dry the meat in the sun so I am going to have to cook it in some fashion and turn it all into jerky after the first and maybe second meal.  Plus for venison while you may stumble by one it is mostly going to be active hunting.  Trapping with snares, squirrel poles and the such is passive.  I can set out several and check them in a few hours while I conserve energy or do something more constructive.  Same thing with fishing using limb lines and such.  Fishing has an added advantage that most fresh water fish can, if need be, eaten raw with no energy wasted on cooking.  Reptiles such as frogs, snakes and lizards the same.  Now the occasional pop of something like a 22LR at a tree rat or rabbit will indeed raise attention that caliber is easily enough disguised or muffled.  

MeatEater podcast had a couple quick blurps on this. The American conservation model has kept our wildlife population where it is. Unrestricted hunting in the late 1800s led to devestated populations and would be the case if there weren't controls in place like during a boogaloo

On 12/26/2019 at 8:42 AM, meh77gmc said:

My suppressed .22 is my friend in that situation. 

I got that covered too!

Except on the receiving end. I can't seem to reduce that "thwack!" sound! Ha!

I didn't consider excess hunting as a concern. I pictured my scenario more like a disease or plague which wipes out most of the human population, which would obviously eliminate a lot of hunting and gathering.

The majority of the population isn't prepared to live off the land. Trophy hunters would be gone. Preppers would be more conservative with supplies and ammo. 

I still think the wildlife population would grow as the human population shrinks. 

As redbaron stated, traps and snares would be better.