Zephyr One/Zero

New Cold Steel: World-Class 'Zombie-Stopper'

I gifted myself a new 4 Max for Xmas, and this brute is awesome!  This is my third Cold Steel product, so this may be the start of something happening.  The 'tri-ad' lock will withstand 800 lbs. of free-hanging weight.  This would be the one production folder you'd want, if you were wandering across a post-apocalyptic wasteland.  All kidding aside, whether jumping into a 'high-risk' assignment in Africa, or traversing some sub-arctic tundra; then you'd want this blade to be in your kit.  Blade is CPM-20V, which is Crucible's answer to Bohler's M390 proprietary steel alloy.  Scales a gray G10, with no 'hot-spots', or imperfections.  Liners and back-spacer are made of titanium to help reduce the weight.  Blade came razor-sharp, right out the box with the blade perfectly-centered.  Pocket-clip is reversible, and attached via 'Chicago screws'.  If your looking for solid, tough, and formidable; this is the one to get. 

cbgpPOnl.jpg

I2xaa0dl.jpg

GwR2bQ8l.jpg

ocUJSDIl.jpg

Sweet..bought myself a M390 Off Grid awhile back..love it..

Good deal, Snake!  Here's a true size-perspective of the 4 Max next to a full-size 1911-pistol:

7MQ0Unkh.jpg

Was a nice-day, yesterday.  So, I snapped a few more pics of the knife outside.

4quDWjVh.jpg

xBtzJYhh.jpg

f0NFCeYh.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the up-vote Snake, I guess your the only one who reads the knife threads. :laugh:  Took some pics of my newest blade, still lovin' it!

dZQBmkch.jpg

Very nice 

• Like 1

Nice!!!

• Like 1

Still enjoying my newest Cold Steel acquisition.

BSwgK7qh.jpg

7WcrSNjh.jpg

This Cold Steel 4 Max, is jelling in my collection.  Rapidly becoming a favorite:

xBwuEh6h.jpg

JTFe3MJh.jpg

Posted (edited)

Recently added a Cold Steel 4 Max Scout to the line-up, and it's also, morphing into the collection nicely:

nAORg1gh.jpg

laKpWFah.jpg

iLzQ5n9h.jpg

Edited by Zephyr One/Zero

Everybody is getting a new knife except me...   :dontknow:

Looks great!

I always enjoy the pics of your kives !

And then clip the 40 buck Gerber I have had for many years in my pocket. It has served me well,

but it would be nice to have something more heavy duty on me all the time. I guess I'd have to look at 

weight and ease of sharpening. I have my ESSE 4  for indestructible in my bag, but it is not always within reach...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Retcop said:

I always enjoy the pics of your kives !

And then clip the 40 buck Gerber I have had for many years in my pocket. It has served me well,

but it would be nice to have something more heavy duty on me all the time. I guess I'd have to look at 

weight and ease of sharpening. I have my ESSE 4  for indestructible in my bag, but it is not always within reach...

ESSE makes excellent knives, Retcop.  I've been looking at the Junglas II as a 'zombie-apocolypse' blade.  Along with the TOPs 'Steel Eagle' Delta version.

junglass_2_taco__54950.1539109957.jpg?c=

steeleagle107cdeltaclass-m.jpg

Yeah, my ESSE4 is from an Armory group buy that Jeff (Gmountain) put together. He loved a good knife. 

It's the best knife I own, and still priced well below what a lot of guys spend on a blade. 

You have a recommendation for best bang for the buck in an EDC folder ? 

My Gerber is partially serrated, but it seems I am in the minority with that.

However, i have been sold on it one night in the middle of nowhere I hit a deer. Car was unbelievably still drivable, but I had to get some of the tough palstic underwell liner cut away. The serrated part made shot work of it. I know serrated might not be best for SD, but utility is important to me too. 

What does that first Cold Steel cost, and is it heavy ? Available with partially serrated edge ?  I have read good things about that locking systems, but none of my Gerber's have failed on me, or my screen name would be Stumpy.  Yep, that locking system is impressive. I have found that Randall ESSE 4 to be absolutely indestructible. The sine is increably thick through tang and blade. The grip for me is ergonomic perfection, and i find the knife is beautiful in it's simplicity and design. Everything you need and nothing you don't. 

I would like to make or have made a leather sheath for it. She deserves it.

Thanks for your help, my friend.

John.

By the way, tell me more about that saw back model so i can look it up. 

That really does up the utility in a camp/survival mode. 

Posted (edited)

I'm reticent about making recommendations about knives, because what appeals to me, might-not work in your case.  There are a number of Cold Steel folders that would fall-into 'best-bang-for-the-buck'.  Two that immediately come-to-mind are the aforementioned:  Scout.  Followed by the SR-1, and the Ultimate Hunter.  I am not a fan of serrated-blades on folders, unless your cutting lots of cordage, or in a maritime situation.  The SR-1 is a heavy-duty folder, excellent-choice under a $140 USD.  Both the Scout, and Ultimate Hunter hover right-around $100 bucks with a discount code at White Mountain Knives.  The Scout differs in steel by using the AUS-10 steel alloy.  The others use the CPM-S35VN alloy steel, which a slightly-higher properties.  The 'tri-ad' lock system is one of the strongest in the industry, bar-none.

Here are some Youtube vids about the Junglas II, and the TOPs Steel Eagle Delta:

Edited by Zephyr One/Zero

My Zombie head chopper

large.838376412_boloknife.jpeg.299681727d1f7cb848bffb874ac44c17.jpeg

• Like 2