91jperkins

Uppers fly off the shelf

What's up with the .224 Valkyrie and 6.5 Grendels in the past week getting so popular

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

IMHO they are both good rounds. Are you seeing an uptick in sales somewhere or posts on the Armory?

Moved from General Discussion.

Are you speaking of local sales? I'm not seeing any increased buzz or sales here. 

Local shop and online I had a buddy looking for a 6.5 grendel local shop said he was looking for one and the only thing he could get was a barrel from a local vendor he ended up buying one from bca but took him three times every one he added to the cart would sale out before he could check out

I just checked PSA and they seem to have stock of both uppers. Maybe locals "discovered" the round and caused a run. Neither round is really a high demand item (try looking for that ammo in your area) so stocking locally might be low. Just a guess.

6.5 grendel is almost impossible to find rounds local and 224 Valkyrie is pretty low in stock everywhere if the have any so good possibility that it may just be local spike just with bca selling out so quick in both calibers I figured I would ask

Keep posting results and what you guys got please!

16 minutes ago, 91jperkins said:

6.5 grendel is almost impossible to find rounds local and 224 Valkyrie is pretty low in stock

That's why I buy bulk and p/u a box or two when I see it. Needed or not.

I haven't looked hard but the Grendel ammo is available the VALK is sporadic.  The actual rifles are not common at all here in PHX. I bought a Ruger bolt 6.5 bolt and have ordered two replacement barrels for it. I'm satisfied how it shoots and want to move pn to something a bit more sexy..LOL  I have seen zero VALKS on the shelf here but I'm not looking hard.

Keep us posted. 

Academy is the only box store I have seen carry a Savage in .224 and ammo but only 6.5 grendel ammo

10 hours ago, 91jperkins said:

Academy is the only box store I have seen carry a Savage in .224 and ammo but only 6.5 grendel ammo

Academy is usually pretty good about keeping a few boxes of about anything around.  I went by yesterday and picked up two boxes of Nosler 250gr .450 Bushmaster which I think is about the same level of popularity as the Grendel and Valk.  They also had several boxes of 300gr Federals.  I didnt check the other calibers but typically if I need to buy a box of something not available at WallyWorld or others locally, they are GTG.  SGAmmo.com is the place online for anything and even after adding shipping, pretty competitive.

As far as BCA, you have to be pretty quick to grab something if they notify you its back in stock whether its an assembled upper or just a barrel.  Several months ago when I first started kicking around the idea of the Bushy build, the 20" barrel they offed was OOS.  I got a notice they were back in stock on Monday and before my paycheck hit on Thursday, they were gone.  Gotta jump on the opportunity when it presents and no hesitation if its something you want.  I hit the "Notify" button again (6 weeks no peep) but ran into a helluva deal from CDNN on a true Bushmaster 18" barrel and didnt hesitate putting my CC down to grab it.  CDNN also offers built uppers so it might be worthwhile for you to get on their mailing list as well as PSA.

While the Valk and the Grendel are gaining, they are still kinda on the fringe.  Each sorta have special purposes in my mind, the Valk and Grendel both being long distance rounds, with the Valk being faster and the Grendel having heavier rounds that slip thru the air.  While the Valk doesnt fit into what I want, I like my Grendel for clear cuts.  I am building the .450 for a walk around close range hog gun and I use a .300 Black Out for sitting on a tree stand.  Thats what has fascinated me with the AR15 platform, the versatility.

Good luck with your search, while what you want may not be available locally, there are plenty of places online to find what you want as long as you dont hesitate.