Scrubbs1551

Optic for a 16 inch ar15 build

Hey guys I’m new here but I have a question about optics. I’m looking at a new 16 inch build and don’t know if I want to put an eotech, aimpoint like red dot, or the acog ta44 with the ACSS. I don’t want to go LPVO bc i already have a build like that. Does anyone one here have any experience with these optics? The application is a training, truck, farm, and WROL gun. It will have a hybrid weight 223 wylde barrel. It will be a 300yd and under gun for mostly training and pest control. What are y’alls thoughts? Thank you in advance. 

Welcome...the guys will be along shortly to give you some suggestions...I don't run any of that so I'm no help.

Welcome to the Armory.

One question I'd ask is do you have an astigmatism. If so you'll most likely have some bloom with a red dot optic. I have an astigmatism and don't have the bloom issue with the EOtech holographic sight. The Trigicon MRO does have bloom for my eyes, but is still very functional.  If you have the ability to look though a friends optic I'd take them up on it. Everyone's eyes are different.

I would look at a dot for most of it but 300 yards on pest control is a bit over the top for them.  A 3X9 would be my choice for me personally but a 1X4 might be just the ticket for your needs. I'm unconventional as I run a variable scope, 3X9 or 4.5X14 , with a side mounted dot and roll the gun over for up close and personal work. The dot in that set up is good for 50 yards.  A standard rig with a normal mounted dot is mighty fine for bipedal threats out to 300 yards but if you are whacking little furry guys at that range it is less than optimal IMHO.

Greg

1-4 / 1-6 variable will cover your needs nicely. Not real big and great utility. Probably a good quality cantilever mount with a 2" offset will provide you with  lot of wiggle room. Vortex, Primary Arms, etc or really costly optics; your money. Assorted reticles, bells, and whistles.

16 hours ago, bamashooter said:

1-4 / 1-6 variable will cover your needs nicely. Not real big and great utility. Probably a good quality cantilever mount with a 2" offset will provide you with  lot of wiggle room. Vortex, Primary Arms, etc or really costly optics; your money. Assorted reticles, bells, and whistles.

I agree with Richard. a 1-4x24 or 1-6x24 would fit your purpose (https://www.primaryarms.com/Brand+Primary-Arms,Vortex-Optics/MCategories+Rifle-Scopes/Magnification+1X-~-4X,1X-~-6X). Depending on your budget, I would recommend one of the offerings from VORTEX or even from Primary Arms. A cantilever mount is paramount. For this, I highly recommend the LaRue Tactical LT-204 C.A.N. QD SPR mount with 30mm rings (https://www.larue.com/products/lt204/). At $138.96, it is one heck of a bargain and top quality too.

Here is one of my ARs with a VORTEX 1-6x24 Strike Eagle in the LT-204.

9XL0POO.jpg

If you prefer going with a red-dot optic, I would recommend the Trijicon MRO.

yiVHsDk.jpg