wish2no

Anything you wish you had stocked up on but did not (FOOD)

I dont know how I am going to survive... just realized I am out of Sesame Oil and low on Olive oil.  Pickles too.  I can live off of pickles.  If I get hungry, eat a pickle, good to go.  Maybe some Vodka too...  see whats available.  If I am going to be stuck at home, need something to sedate myself.

HOPEFULLY, I can pick my truck up out of the shop tomorrow in town and will stop by a couple stores to see what I can find that would make things more comfortable if locked down for 90 days.  Been at least 10 days since I have been in town (thats where I was headed when the truck broke down, so didnt get to go shopping), so not sure what to expect

PICKLES.  Damn I love pickles.  Hopefully find some.  Also sesame oil, can make a single dish taste like two different things just to break any moneteany.  Always use olive oil.  Usually have a couple big bottles around.  Down to a half bottle.  Plenty of vegetable oil, but just not the same.  But then, if you cant get fresh salad stuff it may not matter.

Other things I will look for, frozen pizza and pizza toppings.  Cant go wrong with a pizza as long as you have power to cook it.  Maybe some frozen or canned veggies.

Anything you wish you would have picked up but have not yet?

• Like 1

Stuff for sloppy joes, tortillas, maybe some potatoes.

I have plenty of meat but I admit if I had seen this coming I would have gotten some more diverse selections.  I have almost 100lbs of venison in the freezer either frozen or backstraps/tenderloin.  Would have gotten stuff to make a giant pot of chili.  I may go by Home Depot tomorrow and get a couple of bags of charcoal just to have a different way of cooking it and a bottle of gas for the blackstone.  If I can find some frozen carrots and peas I can do a decent fried rice.

Just an aside, I did spend a good part of today getting a small garden ready to plant.  Not sure whay I will plant yet.  In any case, will be 3 months before I get anything at all and thats optomistic for this area.

Oh yea, bacon!  I can always use more bacon.

Need to wander the Commissary tomorrow and see what they have & get stuff we eat, not looking to horde anything, but buy what we eat and build up a little more of a stockpile, thick sliced bacon, eggs to pickle, vinegar, pickles (butter and kosher dill spears) & not sure what all else, have 2 bottles of propane so good on that, keep truck and car at 90% full on gas, might fil up the gas cans just to have as we don't normally keep any gas, OTC meds & vitamins....been hearing more rumblings of 90+ days, but who knows, a walk thru the store every couple days can not hurt, but just buying small amounts and not tons, so you keep off the radar of people watching for those stockpiling.....

Have a new facebook group about the city/area and they are posting pictures of people with full shopping carts and talking shat about the rich being able to buy out the store while the poor, elderly and disabled can't buy it.....

I can see these same people causing problems.......

One grocery store had a shootout in it, 3 shot and a 4th got away, a friend in Texas's wife was shopping and another lady tried stealing shat out of her cart and it got ugly.....know a person who works at walmart had to threaten to pepper spray a old fat guy who tried bulling the employee.......it's fringing nuts.....

10 minutes ago, Rampy said:

Need to wander the Commissary tomorrow and see what they have & get stuff we eat, not looking to horde anything, but buy what we eat and build up a little more of a stockpile, thick sliced bacon, eggs to pickle, vinegar, pickles (butter and kosher dill spears) & not sure what all else, have 2 bottles of propane so good on that, keep truck and car at 90% full on gas, might fil up the gas cans just to have as we don't normally keep any gas, OTC meds & vitamins....been hearing more rumblings of 90+ days, but who knows, a walk thru the store every couple days can not hurt, but just buying small amounts and not tons, so you keep off the radar of people watching for those stockpiling.....

Have a new facebook group about the city/area and they are posting pictures of people with full shopping carts and talking shat about the rich being able to buy out the store while the poor, elderly and disabled can't buy it.....

I can see these same people causing problems.......

One grocery store had a shootout in it, 3 shot and a 4th got away, a friend in Texas's wife was shopping and another lady tried stealing shat out of her cart and it got ugly.....know a person who works at walmart had to threaten to pepper spray a old fat guy who tried bulling the employee.......it's fringing nuts.....

YES!!!  One of my favorite things.  You use beets in yours?  My Grandma was famous for her pickled eggs.  I should refill my 2 propane tanks... think they are only about 1/2 full each  I have lots of charcoal and a 1/4 cord of oak if I need to BBQ... just dont have the meat to BBQ...

Maybe even cheese... Mac and Cheese done on a smoker with some sausage would be great.  And the cheese, be good for making some pizzas, even out on the grill.

Damn, not that I cant survive with what I have, but really thinking could be a lot more gourmet about it all.  I will use what small amount of meat I do have as seasonings.  Could have loaded up on meat at CostCo a couple weeks ago, but their prices are just way too high.  Can get at WinCo for 2/3 the price.  But now, dont know if they would even have it, plus way out of my way to get there.

2 minutes ago, wish2no said:

YES!!!  One of my favorite things.  You use beets in yours?  My Grandma was famous for her pickled eggs.  I should refill my 2 propane tanks... think they are only about 1/2 full each  I have lots of charcoal and a 1/4 cord of oak if I need to BBQ... just dont have the meat to BBQ...

Maybe even cheese... Mac and Cheese done on a smoker with some sausage would be great.  And the cheese, be good for making some pizzas, even out on the grill.

Damn, not that I cant survive with what I have, but really thinking could be a lot more gourmet about it all.  I will use what small amount of meat I do have as seasonings.  Could have loaded up on meat at CostCo a couple weeks ago, but their prices are just way too high.  Can get at WinCo for 2/3 the price.  But now, dont know if they would even have it, plus way out of my way to get there.

Yep, dump a can/jar of beets into em and wait till they turn a nice shade of beet :D:

Don't have any blocks of cheese, but got a couple big boxes of mac and cheese, some with cheese packets & some with the cheese sauce, trying to get stuff that has a longer shelf life & does not require refrigeration....

Meet will keep rolling in, it's avaible and flowing, but the supply chain is the issue along with people hording it....one lady here filled her shopping cart with 15 gallons of milk, how much milk can you drink in a day, how long till that will go bad......it's nuts, get powdered milk and use it for cooking and such.......

We have enough to survive quite a while, but the thing is, if it gets bad people need to band together, we have friends who have a "fallout bunker" house here that was built in the 30's thick heavy walls, a very good underground basement, tons of room, they just got the yearly buffalo....yep, a entire buffalo packaged and frozen....between those who have access to this "bunker" the more we can bring the better, so we might end up splitting our crap with 10-15 other people. so why not wander and buy 2 or 3 more cans of something or such, it's not going to hurt anybody & adds just a tad more to the pile........

Or if we relocate to our alternate location, want to fill the truck up as full as possible & maximize avaible space as if we have to leave, who knows how long it will take, but that's a worst case scenario and I really do not see that happening......

1 minute ago, Rampy said:

Yep, dump a can/jar of beets into em and wait till they turn a nice shade of beet :D:

Don't have any blocks of cheese, but got a couple big boxes of mac and cheese, some with cheese packets & some with the cheese sauce, trying to get stuff that has a longer shelf life & does not require refrigeration....

Meet will keep rolling in, it's avaible and flowing, but the supply chain is the issue along with people hording it....one lady here filled her shopping cart with 15 gallons of milk, how much milk can you drink in a day, how long till that will go bad......it's nuts, get powdered milk and use it for cooking and such.......

We have enough to survive quite a while, but the thing is, if it gets bad people need to band together, we have friends who have a "fallout bunker" house here that was built in the 30's thick heavy walls, a very good underground basement, tons of room, they just got the yearly buffalo....yep, a entire buffalo packaged and frozen....between those who have access to this "bunker" the more we can bring the better, so we might end up splitting our crap with 10-15 other people. so why not wander and buy 2 or 3 more cans of something or such, it's not going to hurt anybody & adds just a tad more to the pile........

Or if we relocate to our alternate location, want to fill the truck up as full as possible & maximize avaible space as if we have to leave, who knows how long it will take, but that's a worst case scenario and I really do not see that happening......

Could have got some good old Velveta cheap a couple weeks ago.  Hate the stuff, but wish I would have got it anyway.  Stuff must be able to keep for centuries on the shellf.  Just orange plastic bes I can tell.

Have a big cattle ranch across the street... need to get to know them better!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wish2no said:

Could have got some good old Velveta cheap a couple weeks ago.  Hate the stuff, but wish I would have got it anyway.  Stuff must be able to keep for centuries on the shellf.  Just orange plastic bes I can tell.

Have a big cattle ranch across the street... need to get to know them better!

My dad ate horse during the great depression along with Pigeon and other critters we normally do not eat.......

I took a picture of 6-8 horses in a field we drove past & posted them on facebook in a group looking for food and complaining about lack of meat saying here's enough meat to feed us for over a year....

Woza, you would have thought I was talking about eating people it got so wacko.....horses are not food.....guess they have never really been hungry.....

Also drove past a herd of at least 300 black Angus critters lots of meat on the hoof around here :segrin:

6 minutes ago, Rampy said:

My dad ate horse during the great depression along with Pigeon and other critters we normally do not eat.......

I took a picture of 6-8 horses in a field we drove past & posted them on facebook in a group looking for food and complaining about lack of meat saying here's enough meat to feed us for over a year....

Woza, you would have thought I was talking about eating people it got so wacko.....horses are not food.....guess they have never really been hungry.....

Also drove past a herd of at least 300 black Angus critters lots of meat on the hoof around here :segrin:

I have eaten pigeons,  actually have one in the freezer now... was in the kitchen when it slammed into the window.  Went out and cleaned him and froze him.  I dont recall eating horse, but I hear horse and donkey are supposed to be really good.  Wish there were a bunch of javelina around here... I would be in "Hog Heaven"so to speak.  I LOVE javelina, my favorite meat in the world.

5 minutes ago, wish2no said:

I have eaten pigeons,  actually have one in the freezer now... was in the kitchen when it slammed into the window.  Went out and cleaned him and froze him.  I dont recall eating horse, but I hear horse and donkey are supposed to be really good.  Wish there were a bunch of javelina around here... I would be in "Hog Heaven"so to speak.  I LOVE javelina, my favorite meat in the world.

Never tried either pigeon or wild pig, but I've got cousins in Texas and they are laughing, we have enough wild pig here to never go shopping again, they raise chickens, have a veggie garden the size of most peoples homes......and she is a nurse and he has something to do with the oil patch, they fish, hunt and live in a small town, to bad they are so far away, or that would be our run away plan lol....

More peanuts and pork skins, everything else we have plenty of. If things get bad I can go hunting and fishing.

2 hours ago, specops56 said:

Ribeye steaks.

Terry

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I just got back from my local BiLo. Looks like the stoners are stocking up too....... the cookie aisle was empty.

Terry

• Haha 1