towtruck

Apple is getting a cab.

And here I thought they had something to do with electricity. Learn something new every day. 

I got the main frame all tacked up today. The side frames are on, the upper door jambs are in tying the back to the front. I got a header in too. I still have roof supports, window supports, and the radius corners to make.  I took it off the Jeep and I will square it up and weld all the pieces in and finish weld it all before it goes back on for more fitting.  

The filler strip across the front windshield  is going to be a jewel to make as it has one straight edge, one curved edge, and two twists on the ends....the top of the arch leans back so the panel will have a twist on it...going to be a fun one to make.....not!  I had to stop work on it for a bit, I have firewood to cut up as two of my big trees are coming down in the morning.

• Like 2

Coming along!

Had to really zoom in to read the sticker.  Doesn't look factory to me :laugh:

• Like 1

I got all the main frame built for the half cab. I framed out where the windows will go as well. Next I will weld it up fully and grind the outside welds flat for the skin to lay flat on the frame. Once that is done I will trim the frame ends for the radius on the sides. My radius is formed off a 4" circle for the bend. I'm debating whether I should make the curved sections separate and section them in with the flat top or make the whole top one piece and curve the sides. I guess I need to see how easy the sheet metal will form an arch for me before I decide. If I make them separate I can use my buddies roller to shape them....that may be the easiest way to make a smooth bend. I could have him roll me a 4" tube and then I can slice what I need out of it.  

After the corners are made in the frame I need to re-install the frame and then make the front panel. The front panel needs to be built first then I can skin the rest of it. It's slowly coming together. 

• Like 2

Here are pics of the work so far. I still have to cut the long ends off the front and rear header bars and radius the frame for the curved skin. I need to fully weld all the joints and grind the outside welds flat. I am going to install it one more time before welding it up fully and check all the measurements. I need to make the front header mount bracket while I have it on as well. Everything is square so it should fit any Jeep I put it on. The front legs are bolt on and are not lined up in the pics, they are just holding it up. I need to make the filler pieces between the fender wells and the two that will go up under the lip of the tub in the rear.  

So, one more test fit with some more fabrication and the frame will be ready for skin. I am going to make the front piece first where it fits to the windshield frame. Then I will skin the two side pieces, next will be the back and rear sides, then make the rounded sides for the top and finally filling in the top. I do believe I will make the door frames and their weather stripping backing before any skin goes on. 

wYWwXYG.jpgdcdMBXL.jpg

There will be one big back window inside the area that I framed and two side windows, like oval portholes, in the rear sides. All the windows will be the same height as the windshield and the same level.

• Like 1

I always enjoy seeing your projects come to life!

• Thanks 1

I finished welding all the seams today and cut the excess off the headers in the corners. I need to grind welds next and then set it back on the Jeep and make the front center mount plate, make the front skin over the windshield, and set the rounded sides on and blend them into the front piece. My metal guy is rolling me a 5" diameter tube that I will cut into my two rounded transitions from the flat roof to the sides. The front header trim and the two side rolls will be the only curved pieces...all the rest of the panels will be flat....should be fairly easy to skin once those three curved pieces are set. 

4 hours ago, towtruck said:

I finished welding all the seams today and cut the excess off the headers in the corners. I need to grind welds next and then set it back on the Jeep and make the front center mount plate, make the front skin over the windshield, and set the rounded sides on and blend them into the front piece. My metal guy is rolling me a 5" diameter tube that I will cut into my two rounded transitions from the flat roof to the sides. The front header trim and the two side rolls will be the only curved pieces...all the rest of the panels will be flat....should be fairly easy to skin once those three curved pieces are set. 

Looking Good  However DON'T ROLL That  over :horror020: !.   Have You given thought as to what you're going too paint it with ?.

https://www.durabakcompany.com/

Haven’t thought about paint but I’m leaving the roll bar on the Jeep. 

• Like 1

Today I tinkered with the cab and put it back on the Jeep. I made the front center mount and welded in on, made the four curved corner pieces and welded them on. I also made a cardboard template of the front panel that will seal against the windshield. It will be 14g material so I can weld it to the frame and it will provide some support to the front header. Next I have to cut the template out into the sheet metal. I'm going to cut it fat so I don't have to make another one if I mess up the first cut. I have lots of clean up work to do on the frame now, welds to grind, brackets to trim and such. I need to get the metal I will use for the weather strip to seal the door openings next. My buddy is working on rolling me two pieces to fit to the sides for the rolled edge on the top. 

1GEHAlw.jpg

• Like 3

MY roll bar is full cab  and had forgotten You had the half roll bar in addition to Your cap structure .  Now doors are you using hard doors half doors or framed fabric doors ?. Got hinges figured  or will You use slip pivot bushings ?.  IF so  I suggest IGUS  as Mine have held up for 20 years . All different types of materials  I went oil bronze on mine . Knowing Your capability I'd guess You'll make full doors with metal . Coming along nicely TT .  :thumb:  

https://www.igus.com/info/plain-bearings-product-overview 

1 minute ago, BushXM15 said:

MY roll bar is full cab  and had forgotten You had the half roll bar in addition to Your cap structure .  Now doors are you using hard doors half doors or framed fabric doors ?. Got hinges figured  or will You use slip pivot bushings ?.  IF so  I suggest IGUS  as Mine have held up for 20 years . All different types of materials  I went oil bronze on mine . Knowing Your capability I'd guess You'll make full doors with metal . Coming along nicely TT .  :thumb:  

https://www.igus.com/info/plain-bearings-product-overview 

Full metal doors with a big piano hinge along that straight section of the frame in the picture. The hinge will be out board but I may recess it into the door frame and bolt it in front to back instead of side to side...that way I will only have the hinge part exposed and not the flats......I have not decided on that yet...a lot of work to do it that way. 

I can also make half doors and use the same hinge mount holes as the full doors use.   Most likely one set of full doors and I will take them off in the summer. 

My windows will go up and down in the doors using a T handle to loosen the window and slide it down and lock the handle again by tightening the T. I am going to make as big an opening I can and still get them to drop down into the bottom of the door....there is challenges there with the uneven door bottom on the CJ5. 

44 minutes ago, towtruck said:

Full metal doors with a big piano hinge along that straight section of the frame in the picture. The hinge will be out board but I may recess it into the door frame and bolt it in front to back instead of side to side...that way I will only have the hinge part exposed and not the flats......I have not decided on that yet...a lot of work to do it that way. 

I can also make half doors and use the same hinge mount holes as the full doors use.   Most likely one set of full doors and I will take them off in the summer. 

My windows will go up and down in the doors using a T handle to loosen the window and slide it down and lock the handle again by tightening the T. I am going to make as big an opening I can and still get them to drop down into the bottom of the door....there is challenges there with the uneven door bottom on the CJ5. 

TT ; Using T handle and operating widows such as in  a postal jeep ?. They have pinch dogs each side of a vertical track without handle .  Do You actually have doors  or are you going too make everything from scratch ?.

14 minutes ago, BushXM15 said:

TT ; Using T handle and operating widows such as in  a postal jeep ?. They have pinch dogs each side of a vertical track without handle .  Do You actually have doors  or are you going too make everything from scratch ?.

I'm making everything from scratch. I have only found one way to raise and lower windows on the net...I would love pictures of how other windows and tracks are made to better make them. 

The one I have seen pics of is just a T handle bolt and nut that you loosen and slide the window down and re tighten to lock it. 

6 minutes ago, towtruck said:

I'm making everything from scratch. I have only found one way to raise and lower windows on the net...I would love pictures of how other windows and tracks are made to better make them. 

Just a suggestion  but if it were Me , I'd scour a junk yard for doors or at least doors with appropriate glass size in them ,then Gut the doors and use components ?.

Over the years I've done a couple of custom fabrication projects  and without scrounging junk yards  for regulators cranks rods channels Etc.  it's gonna be TOUGH and time consuming !.  An besides that  IF You don't have safety glass side windows  which fit a specific vehicle , WHERE do you get them  without mortgaging your house !?.

I say that because before realizing a 1954 corvette  windshield ,was an actual shape and size I needed while restoring a Chriscraft launch  , it was PROHIBITIVE cost wise to even consider having one made . Used both 54 & 56 windshields I later found out .     

https://www.howacarworks.com/bodywork/adjusting-and-replacing-window-winding-mechanisms