towtruck

Apple is getting a cab.

I have been getting side window glass cut for years on my old Model A cars and trucks. I just use flat windshield glass. My doors are going to be made from 3/4" box tube like the frame material. I may have a thicker section where the windows slide up and down but my goal is to keep the doors less than 1" thick with inner and outer skins and structure. No room for conventional regulators and such. Manual means of dropping the windows will be used.  A simpler method is to just build a slider and only have half the width open.....I don't want that, I want the window to drop all the way in my opening. 

My doors and windows will look like this one as close as I can make them.

R1r8qrw.jpg

• Like 1

OK ; I'm expecting to see progress report on Apple's  New Top Hat  aka Cab :segrin:

On 6/21/2020 at 2:00 PM, towtruck said:

I have been getting side window glass cut for years on my old Model A cars and trucks. I just use flat windshield glass. My doors are going to be made from 3/4" box tube like the frame material. I may have a thicker section where the windows slide up and down but my goal is to keep the doors less than 1" thick with inner and outer skins and structure. No room for conventional regulators and such. Manual means of dropping the windows will be used.  A simpler method is to just build a slider and only have half the width open.....I don't want that, I want the window to drop all the way in my opening. 

My doors and windows will look like this one as close as I can make them.

R1r8qrw.jpg

2 hours ago, BushXM15 said:

OK ; I'm expecting to see progress report on Apple's  New Top Hat  aka Cab :segrin:

Right now the half cab is on hold. I found a full cab and doors and will have it mid August. I'm going to make my half cab using the full cabs doors so I needed to stop working on the frame until I have the full cab in my possession. I am certain I will need to adjust my fabrication in order to make the doors work with my home made cab. 

My plan is to run the full cab most of the time and only use the half cab in the summertime. By not building my own doors I am going to be saving a ton of time and money. I do have the frame pretty much done but I think I will have to add more material at the header and possibly shorten the side panels or have to add to them to get the factory doors to fit my frame. I made my rear door edge at the round hole for the soft top and I'm not sure where the factory door jamb lies. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, towtruck said:

Right now the half cab is on hold. I found a full cab and doors and will have it mid August. I'm going to make my half cab using the full cabs doors so I needed to stop working on the frame until I have the full cab in my possession. I am certain I will need to adjust my fabrication in order to make the doors work with my home made cab. 

My plan is to run the full cab most of the time and only use the half cab in the summertime. By not building my own doors I am going to be saving a ton of time and money. I do have the frame pretty much done but I think I will have to add more material at the header and possibly shorten the side panels or have to add to them to get the factory doors to fit my frame. I made my rear door edge at the round hole for the soft top and I'm not sure where the factory door jamb lies. 

Fully understood ; Fabrication using someone Else's doors dictates You need them in hand before proceeding , as they will be dual purpose :thumb:.

I'm anxious to see what it looks like as well as functions like . I've been giving Serious thought  as to possibly purchasing a wrecked or blown up Jeep ,so as to snatch the top off of it .  However have hesitated NOT having My shop and knowing dimensions of the CJ series as opposed  to other Newer models ; Major fabrication would be in order ( to say the least ) .  Carry on :thumb:

I have started on the half cab again. I picked up a full factory cab with doors.  Today I cut down the door frames on the half cab to fit the factory doors, installed the header piece and have a few tweaks to it still left to do, mounted the top to the factory A pillar frames, mounted those factory A pillar frames to the windshield frame, mounted both doors, and have dialed it in for fit. I also refitted my mirrors to work with the factory doors. The driver side was easy as all I had to do was tip it out further...the passenger side needed more tweaks and now you actually look through the lower right corner of the windshield to see down the right side of the Jeep. 

Next up will be the door latch stops. I have to make those then mount them on the door frame. I still have to make one more small piece of frame work that goes between the rear wheel wells to form the back/bottom of the cab. I need to make some rain gutters and a filler/backer piece for the door tops to seal against and the frame work will be done. I will then take it all off and work on getting the skin on the frame. 

Once all the framing is done I will tear everything back off the jeep and paint the small parts, tear down and rebuild both doors with all new weather stripping, fix any dings, then paint the doors. Once the cab is skinned I will paint that and get a back window glass installed. I have one inside door handle to make as well. I think I can copy the other handle pretty close. 

Still a lot of work ahead. I need to get all new weather stripping for the doors and windows. I found a place that sells it all so I just need to measure it up and get it ordered. 

Once I have the half cab all done I will then set out to rebuild the full cab. I have some metal work to do on the full cab before I can mount it and I have decided I will completely rebuild the full cab. All new seals around the windows, all new sealant between the top and sides, metal and body work done, and a full paint inside and out. That will take some time and that is the reason to finish the half cab first as it is closer to being done than anything else. My plan is to run the half cab in the summer and the full cab in the winter and be able to swap between them when I want. 

I'll get some more pics up soon....it's 105* outside right now and I'm taking a break :laugh:

• Like 1

I made the door latch blocks out of brass bar, made the small frame between the fender wells, drilled all the holes to mount them and ran out of steam again. I have two holes to drill and tap in the bed for the lower frame to attach ...I need to take the cab off to drill those as my drill is too tall to get in there. 

Next up is to figure out my door header/ rain gutters. I'm going to have to stack material in there to get it right....I just have not found the right material yet. I need a trip to the hardware store to see what they have and get a few more bolts. 

I have a mountain of odds and ends nuts and bolts and almost never need to go buy anything.....I'm out of 1/4-20 bolts of any length so I have to pick some up. Once I get those headers done I can pull it off for the second to last time. When I pull it off this time I need to finish up two bolt holes, finish up the header, and make a rubber spacer for the center mount. Then I will put it back on one more time and check all the fitment for the last time. After that it comes off to be skinned and painted then mounted up and taken in for glass. 

It's starting to look pretty good. 

My computer is running slow but here are some pictures......The front header is not trimmed yet so it sticks up and out the sides. I had to leave it long in order to weld it on properly....I have a bunch of welds to grind down once it's all fabricated. I am embarrassed of my welds...I cannot for the life of me make flux core wire feed welds look good on thin metal.k4ahoyE.jpg 

dtygX0I.jpgsyX8Iz6.jpgJG7Ghs7.jpgfLKvIrM.jpg

• Like 1

I got the rain gutters in and the top door backstop in that the weather strip attaches to. I had 5/8" of space from the top of the door to the frame. I ended up finding 1/16"x 1.5" aluminum angle iron and a piece of 1/4"x 1" aluminum bar stock.  I stacked the angle iron and bar stock into a Z shape with the bar stock in the middle. I trimmed the angle iron to get the dimensions I wanted for the rain gutter lip and the back stop width cut to 1'" to match the bar stock. Clamped it all in place and drilled and tapped the frame for four screws on each side.

I have some file work to finish up as I want to round the corners of the rain gutters and smooth out my cut edges. I will be installing these pieces last and seal them together on the final install with a little caulk. I will use paintable caulk to seal the rain gutter at the front and rear  against the body. They turned out pretty clean looking. 

Next I will do a final check before I pull it all apart and get it ready for grinding and the skin. 

Edit. I added a couple more bolts from the top to the side frames, drilled and tapped the two holes in the bed, and then pulled the entire cab off. next time it goes back on it will be done. I'm going to start grinding the welds on the frame and prepping it for skin. I will begin taking the doors apart and rebuilding them as well. I need to measure up how many feet of each kind of weather stripping I need and get that coming to. 

I needed to find a place to store the full cab while it waits for it's rebuild. I tore it down into four pieces and went out to my shed and looked to see if I had any room in there for it.....that shed is packed full and I have a pony cart tore down and hanging from the rafters already. I did some careful measuring and I was able to hang the Jeep top under the pony cart shafts from the same rafters. Then I stacked the other three parts on top of it.....so now it's hanging up out of the way high and dry. I will have to say getting that 5'x5'6" steel top up there by myself took some wrangling. It's a good thing I have a degree in redneck engineering or it might not have happened. 

• Like 1

I got the doors stripped down. Those went pretty smoothly. I need to measure for window felt and weather stripping the next time I go outside....it's hot outside :sweating:

With those colors the doors look like they came off a postal Jeep.

Just now, Flesh Wound said:

With those colors the doors look like they came off a postal Jeep.

Nope...they came off a blue and white standard CJ5.  They were originally white and turquoise. I'm going to go back with all white.....not a bright white either...something egg shell or off white. I have not figured out if I will use rattle cans or do it up with the spray gun......I can do a pretty mean rattle can paint job if I set my mind to it and wet sand the primer first. Most likely they will get sprayed with enamel but I have not even thought about it yet.....I don't want it to look too good as the rest of the Jeep is pretty worn.  

• Like 1

At 4 am this morning I had an epiphany.....it came to me in a dream like state (or maybe I had to pee)....I was trying to figure out how not to buy a ginormous amount of sheet metal just to skin this thing and also thinking about paint.....I do believe I have killed two birds with one stone. Today I will venture to a couple places and confirm my idea and gather the necessary items.   

In order to skin this I needed two full 4x8 sheets and there was going to be lots of waste.........my new plan is a surprise....pics when I make it happen!!!    

edit:  :dance-hula-smiley:   My plan worked. I was able to get the blind, sealed, domed, rivets I need to put the skin on, I ordered all the new weather stripping, and I stopped by a metal roofing place that custom cuts 3' wide corrugated roofing that is already painted.  That roofing metal comes in a big flat roll that is 42" wide. I needed 38" widths maximum. I asked if they would cut me some of the roll before they squished it into roofing. Not only do they sell it flat they had two 10' sheets pre cut in white. Each side is painted white so I eliminated having to paint the skins. I will paint the frame white and after assembly I will make a template to go over the rivets and paint each rivet white by hand. 

Now I have to get busy and prep the frame.....grind, smooth, clean, and paint then I can get to work skinning it. I need to pick up some white caulking to seal the panels with as I don't want it to leak around the seams. 

That's going to be cool. That skin is what would have worried me as well. I have some body panels that I've kept laying around just for the large areas of flat sheet metal that I can beat into shape if necessary. 

Looking  good.  Going to be real nice when finished.

As far as a coating, there's something to think about. That big flat roof will get loud. Might not hurt to use undercoating on the inside, and do it yourself bedliner on the outside. That should quiet it down considerably.