towtruck

A little info needed

My wife has a friend whose 21 year old kid is in the Air Force. We'll call him Gary just to keep things straight. One day Gary and a friend (we'll call Steve) started to pick on a new recruit and tease him a bit. Steve pulls out a thumb drive and tells the new guy it's info on a top secret program. He even names the program. 

New guy takes that info all the way to the top and they end up arresting Gary and Steve. It was all just a prank except the top secret name Steve threw out was real. 

What kind of trouble is Steve and Gary into?  What is their future?

If the name they reviewed actually belongs to a TS project, they can get into a lot including prison and dishonorable discharge.  It depends on how far the CoC wants to take it.

• Like 1

Apparently when the brass heard the TS name from the new guy, when he reported it, they shut down current operations and it cost millions.  

45 minutes ago, towtruck said:

Apparently when the brass heard the TS name from the new guy, when he reported it, they shut down current operations and it cost millions.  

If that is the case then my guess he is in pretty deep trouble.  At a minimum loss of security clearance.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, towtruck said:

My wife has a friend whose 21 year old kid is in the Air Force. We'll call him Gary just to keep things straight. One day Gary and a friend (we'll call Steve) started to pick on a new recruit and tease him a bit. Steve pulls out a thumb drive and tells the new guy it's info on a top secret program. He even names the program. 

New guy takes that info all the way to the top and they end up arresting Gary and Steve. It was all just a prank except the top secret name Steve threw out was real. 

What kind of trouble is Steve and Gary into?  What is their future?

How long ago did it happen...week, 2 weeks or a guess at the time line......

Can you say what town/base this happened in/near???

Are they in military pre trial confinement or released to their commanders??

Have they had, or will they be getting a article 32 hearing??

Did this happen on base or off?

The thumb drive, was it military, or privately owned, was the data on it allowed to be in the possession of Steve, did Gary know he had it & have a security clearance at that level & did Gary know the code name?

If the thumb drive did not have classified on it & it was a prank, did Gary know about the prank, did gary have clearance to know the code name Steve mentioned....

How long have they been in the Air Force, what rank are they.....

Gary might get off easier than Steve......

Depending on Gary's knowledge and involvement & his commander he could get a Art 15 and loos of a stripe or 2 and a large fine.....at the best....

Steve.....is freaked....court martial, jail, kicked out all depends on what happened and the nature of the classified project and such.....

However, if if either one is in pre trial coinfinement or get's a Art 32 hearing...they are going to get a court marshal....and if convicted they are federal felons

Edited by Rampy

25 minutes ago, towtruck said:

Yeah, they are hosed. At worst they are looking at Leavenworth. At best they are looking at losing any security clearance they had and getting booted out with an other than honorable discharge. If it resulted in closing of a program and loss of money then it has already gone higher on the COC than what could be dealt with non-judicially. 

2 hours ago, towtruck said:

I worked in a SCIF and was a entry controller for them, we had rooms in the SCIF that not only had a TS clearance to get into, but a SCI to get into that room inside the room kind of thing & if fire or anything happened, we as responding cops could not go in, the fire department could not go into the room till the classified was secured & if we did hell was to pay for going into the room....and this was not the most sensitive area....

One base I know of has a compound within a compound, you need a TS to get into the compound, then to get into the inner compound you need a TS with a exchange badge system on a special list & even then only cleared to specific rooms in the inner compound. Fire/EMS/Cops can not go into the building at all, no emergency under the sun can the responders go into the building...

If one was to mention the code word name of the project outside of the room.....even to other people with a TS but not the SCI for that project.....best you could look for was ART15 and loss of stripes and a cross train into a job without a clearance needed......

8 minutes ago, MontanaLon said:

Yeah, they are hosed. At worst they are looking at Leavenworth. At best they are looking at losing any security clearance they had and getting booted out with an other than honorable discharge. If it resulted in closing of a program and loss of money then it has already gone higher on the COC than what could be dealt with non-judicially. 

All security breaches like this go to the Pentagon.....no exceptions.....

If the name was classified at the minimum he might lose his security clearance. A thumb drive is verboten on military computers unless it has been preapproved to store data on.  I also let everybody know that if they stuck an unauthorized thumb drive in a government computer he was getting reported. He is going to be grilled to the nth degree how he knew about a TS program I don't envy him. If he needs a security clearance to do his job he can kiss that goodbye. The military has gotten quite a few black eyes over this and they take it very serious. The first thing you have to do after getting a security clearance is sign a form about security information after a briefing.  It pretty much says they can throw the book at you if you mess up.   

NM

Edited by Retcop
A stoopid person posted

6 hours ago, Retcop said:

My 2 cents.

I think the Brass are going to have a hard time believing that Steve knowing the codename for the TS project was a coincidence. 

They are not going to view that as happenstance.

I would think that Gary immediately reporting the incident to his superiors is going to go a long way in reducing the consequences for him. 

Gary had no control over the "prank" that Steve pulled. I would think that the Brass would look at what Steve did to Gary as extremely malicious,

not to mention all the rules/laws broken.  

Gary did the right thing. Not quite sure why any punishment for him would be extreme, or even necessary, depending on how long Gary waited to report it, or if he talked to many people about it before he reported it.  Has the Military provided an attorney for Gary, or is it too soon in the process ? If Gary has a good reputation and record with his superiors, I'm not understanding why he would be in serious trouble for doing the right thing. It is not Gary's fault that Steve's "prank" cost millions and fubarred a TS operation. That is if all that was involved was this "prank". 

Would his superiors have rather had him destroy the thumb drive and say nothing ?  I don't think so. My cop brain is telling me that the relationship between Gary and Steve needs very close examination, to discover why Steve would want to set Gary up for possible espionage charges. Was Steve gonna report Gary, or had he already done so  ? What was on the drive is a real important question. Did Gary view it ?  If he did, what was his reason ?  I can't stress enough that no one is going to believe Steve just happened to grab the name of a TS project out of the air that just happened to be the name of an actual operation. That lack of belief then can bleed over to Gary.  But gary did the right thing and reported it, right ?  How did Steve get the name, because I don't believe he made it up ? I would also think it would help Gary for investigators to find out what Steve has against Gary. That is not something someone does to a "friend" given the potential consequences. I don't think that Steve is that stupid to pull such a "prank".  There is a good chance there is more to the story, and Steve's intent. 

Just one other thing, and I mean no disrespect. Gary needs to make sure he is telling the whole truth and nothing but, because it will all come out in the wash. If there is more to it than this dirty deed by Steve, Gary had better clarify that now.  I remain optimistic that Gary doing the right thing, no matter what Steve's intentions, will go a long way.  I thought we were not supposed to reward the whistleblower, not punish them...

John

Gary did not report anything...it was the new kid that did.  

Rampy, this just happened recently  (weeks to a month ago) All three were working on base when it happened. I believe Gary and Steve have been released to their commanders. I do know they were grilled for six hours. 

Even I am not going to go into any more detail about it because I am pretty sure the mother of Gary was not supposed to blab about it. From what I heard even though it was Steve that pulled out the thumb drive and mentioned the TS name both Gary and Steve will go down for it. 

And Gary's mommy thinks she can go down there and help fix the situation :bellylaf:

2 minutes ago, towtruck said:

Gary did not report anything...it was the new kid that did.  

Rampy, this just happened recently  (weeks to a month ago) All three were working on base when it happened. I believe Gary and Steve have been released to their commanders. I do know they were grilled for six hours. 

Even I am not going to go into any more detail about it because I am pretty sure the mother of Gary was not supposed to blab about it. From what I heard even though it was Steve that pulled out the thumb drive and mentioned the TS name both Gary and Steve will go down for it. 

And Gary's mommy thinks she can go down there and help fix the situation :bellylaf:

Unless she sits on the Armed Services Committee, I doubt she will do anything but add fuel to the fire.

14 minutes ago, redbarron06 said:

Unless she sits on the Armed Services Committee, I doubt she will do anything but add fuel to the fire.

She grew up in a small town with a Rich daddy that knew all the local politicians. She is used to dropping names and getting out of bad situations, she was the cute daughter of the big business man her whole life.......my wife tried to tell her, "Dorthy, your not in Kansas anymore!"   

She has an unnatural relationship with her son.....she won't let him out of her sight and is always helping him out of messes. He has crashed more cars, gotten more traffic tickets, pulled more bone head moves than anyone I know. He just does not learn.....and she is still tracking him with his cell phone to make sure he is where he says he is..........if it weren't true it would be laughable.  

1 minute ago, towtruck said:

She grew up in a small town with a Rich daddy that knew all the local politicians. She is used to dropping names and getting out of bad situations, she was the cute daughter of the big business man her whole life.......my wife tried to tell her, "Dorthy, your not in Kansas anymore!"   

She has an unnatural relationship with her son.....she won't let him out of her sight and is always helping him out of messes. He has crashed more cars, gotten more traffic tickets, pulled more bone head moves than anyone I know. He just does not learn.....and she is still tracking him with his cell phone to make sure he is where he says he is..........if it weren't true it would be laughable.  

Well if jr let out any details of classified operations to momma he is only going to get in more trouble and mommy can be called as a witness against him.

18 minutes ago, redbarron06 said:

Well if jr let out any details of classified operations to momma he is only going to get in more trouble and mommy can be called as a witness against him.

She knows the classified name and proper spelling...........that is what makes me think jr is in deep doo doo.....

I'll hear about the outcome at some point, the wife talks to this gal every other month or so. I guess her next move is to rent and RV and go down to where he is for a month or so to be there for him......:doh: