hlhneast

LR .308 Build

Ive taken the plunge into the .308 rifle build.  I think I have the right term for the rifle, its a bit confusing all around because of the non Mil Spec and basically two different platforms.  The best I can figure is if its a DPMS pattern, its an LR .308.  Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

The LR .306 will most likely be my most expensive to date as all components are basically twice as expensive.  My build has started with a 20" Criterion DPMS pattern barrel.  I need to buy a BCG that will match this quality.  The barrel description says Criterion uses Fulton Armory BCG's  for head spacing so I am wondering if the FA BCG is a must or can I use another brand without fear of problems.  Ive never head spaced any of my AR15 rifles and have had no issues but with the new platform I am not so sure.  What says the Forum?

The barrel is all I have so far and this build may take a while or who knows I may get a wild hair and buy everything I need.  I generally buy my lower receivers from Black Creek Precision and use Aero uppers.  BCP doesnt have any receiver sets in stock now and Ive asked but  havent received any info on when they may start another run.  As far as the upper, I do want FA and dust cover or at least the dust cover.  I am looking at different sets now in case BCP wont produce any any time soon.

I bought a cheap RRA two stage FCG to try out, its my first two stage.  I dont know if the LR will be its final destination yet since I have no experience with them.  Ive pretty much used ALG ACTs in most of my builds with a smattering of this that and the other single stages.  I plan to use the LR for mostly hunting so I dont know if I even need the two stage.  Some range time is needed for sure.

As far as the other components, its all personal preference for me and I will buy as I catch a sale or when I see something I want.  I think I am going to Duracoat it burnt bronze but everything is open.  The most money will be spent in the important stuff.

Its gonna be fun!

I’ve considered a .308. Since Iowa is a “straight wall” state, I could only use it for hunting as a guest in other states, so I went with a Bushy. .308 will take about any North American game. I once saw a 375 lb black bear sow shot at 150 yards and she didn’t move a step. What are you hunting? 

I was confused by the terminology and configurations of AR’s chambered for .308  I’m watching your build- pics when you got them! I’m still on the fence about a .308

Typically this rifle will be carried during Gun season so its mainly deer and hogs but can go down to bobcat and coyote size critters.  With the exception of a coyote, I dont shoot anything I wont eat, I revel in seeing the natural at its best.  I love sitting in a tree and have something like a bobcat pass close by and it not knowing I am there or how close its days came to ending.  Bear are highly regulated so no shooting them altho I have no doubt the .308 is more than enough.  Hogs can get pretty big but maybe 350# would be about tops in the woods and the deer have no fat and with typical low protien browse, they just dont get big here.

Pics will be posted once I have something more than a barrel.

My second Ar was a DPMS LR308.  24inch heavy barrel, nice optic.  It is my favorite.  Using Hornady match ammo it is a freaking tack driver at 300 yards.  I mean 1.5 inch or less groups.  I just love the thing but never shoot it.  Too heavy to hunt with because of the heavy barrel, ammo kinda expensive but really not so bad.  I have a friend who always laughs and wants to hear me say it... my AR15 is a defensive rifle.  The LR308 is a BATTLE rifle.  Even though I dont shoot it it is my favorite of all.  Accurate as hell, way powerful compared to the .223 cartridge.  I bought about 15-20 magazines for it.  19 rounds per magazine.  With all this unrest going on these days, if it headed my way, this is the rifle I would have sitting in my house, all magazines loaded and ready to go.  I did replace the stock trigger with a JP adjustable trigger... but not really necessary in my opinion.  Just a fine as heck rifle.  Rock solid.  And a beautiful sight to behold.  I would encourage you to build or buy one.  If you plan to hunt with it from anywhere except a blind I would go with a lighter barrel.  Maybe I am just old, but it is heavy.  I cant shoot it from my shoulder anymore.  Put it on a bench with a bipod or bags and you have a winner.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 2:57 AM, wish2no said:

My second Ar was a DPMS LR308.

When they came out I wanted one badly but it just wasnt in the budget.  The G2's are super nice too. I will probly end up spending more on mine a bit at a time.  CDNN has DPMS U/L receiver sets pretty cheap but they dont have FA and a dust cover.  They may not really be needed but if you do need an FA, sure is nice for a back up.  DPMS also uses Fulton bolt carriers but I assume they use their own bolt so head space enters into the mix again.

I like Granite Ridge Outfitters.  They always seem to have stock at decent prices when no one else does.  I havent stopped looking but this ME5-E1 Gen 2 set looks good.  I kinda want burnt bronze but I dont have an FDE rifle either.  If anyone knows where a cheaper price may be, post up a link.

https://graniteridgeoutfitters.com/Aero-Precision-M5E1-308-Enhanced-Upper-Handguard-Combo-Gen2-APPG110002.htm

And possibly this Fail Zero bolt.  Maybe go with NiB or one of the EXO or DLC varieties.  I like the quality of Tool Craft, I run a coupleinmy 5.56 rifles. 

https://graniteridgeoutfitters.com/Toolcraft-308-Black-Nitride-Bolt-Carrier-Group-with-Logo-TC308-016-GRO.htm

Edited by hlhneast

Next question.  I believe the receiver extensions are the same for the LR 308 and AR15.  Since the Criterion barrel is a 20" rifle length gas system I am seriously considering an A2 stock with rifle buffer.  I already have a .308 spring in my parts box and the rifle buffer is 5oz so it should be adequate for recoil reduction and prevent bolt bounce.  I also really like the Hogue Overmolded collapsible stocks so my question would be since the Hogue would use a 6 position carbine extension will I need to use a rifle buffer and .308 spring in this type of buffer tube?

6 hours ago, hlhneast said:

When they came out I wanted one badly but it just wasnt in the budget.  The G2's are super nice too. I will probly end up spending more on mine a bit at a time.  CDNN has DPMS U/L receiver sets pretty cheap but they dont have FA and a dust cover.  They may not really be needed but if you do need an FA, sure is nice for a back up.  DPMS also uses Fulton bolt carriers but I assume they use their own bolt so head space enters into the mix again.

Yes expensive, but I found mine used.  Apparently some family with a kid, the wife caught the kid handling it and she told hubby it is outa here.  Still cost around 1K.

What are you referring to with "FA" ?  Not full auto I presume?

16 hours ago, wish2no said:

What are you referring to with "FA" ?  Not full auto I presume?

No.  Forward assist.

3 hours ago, hlhneast said:

No.  Forward assist.

Yes, you are correct.  Was trying to make it into something else.  As an aside, how often have you needed to use your forward assist?  Maybe on a muddy battlefield, but in general shooting after 1000's of rounds dont think I have ever needed it.

3 hours ago, wish2no said:

Yes, you are correct.  Was trying to make it into something else.  As an aside, how often have you needed to use your forward assist?  Maybe on a muddy battlefield, but in general shooting after 1000's of rounds dont think I have ever needed it.

Its absolutely true.  I do own two rifles without FA.  I think I have used it one time after shooting a bunch of dirty ammo.  In our typical world its kinda like a dinosaur but we arent living in typical times I am afraid.  Goes back to that battle rifle you talked about.  Better to have and not need.

Now if I could just find some receivers manufactured before 1986.......

Anyone built an LR .308 out there to give me some input on how important head spacing on this build will be?  Ive never done it on any of my AR15 rifles because of the mil spec nature of them.  With two major platforms, things are different with the big brother and may be more important to sweat the details.  I am not going to cheap out with no name brands but with the Futon Armory BCG going for $250 or so I would like to either find a Fulton at a lower price or a high quality substitute for less than $200. Aero Precision, Fail Zero or the like.

Anyone??  Bueller?  Bueller??  :ack:

15 hours ago, dfairclothrra said:

Joe Bobs has 308 BCGs   nitride toolcraft  

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/AR-10-Bolt-Carrier-Groups-s/50554.htm

Thanks.  I am seriously conideing Toolcraft as well.  I have a couple 5.56's that are excellent products.  I have made a but of progress on the procurement.  I bought an Areo blem upper after reading the reviews.  I also picked an ambi CH and safety lever, a brand I hadnt heard of but those things arent critical and I cant see paying $70 for a safety lever because it has somebody's famous name on it.  I also bought a Guntec M-lok slim hand guard and an Aero LPK.  Still upin the air are the stock, BCG.  I have a 308 buffer spring but not sure if its a rifle spring or carbine in my parts box.  I have a beat up A2 surplus stock I may buy a few pieces for.

I am waiting for BCP  to get some lower receivers into production but if I buy everythng else nd they stil havent done any I will most ikely go with an Aero.

I didnt think about it but I guess I am going to need an LR308 vice block.  Any suggestions there?

I guess I should clarify the upper i bought was a high top.  i learned there were two varieties after the fact while shopping for hand guards..

Edited by hlhneast

On 6/19/2020 at 1:37 AM, hlhneast said:

Ive taken the plunge into the .308 rifle build.  I think I have the right term for the rifle, its a bit confusing all around because of the non Mil Spec and basically two different platforms.  The best I can figure is if its a DPMS pattern, its an LR .308.  Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

The LR .306 will most likely be my most expensive to date as all components are basically twice as expensive.  My build has started with a 20" Criterion DPMS pattern barrel.  I need to buy a BCG that will match this quality.  The barrel description says Criterion uses Fulton Armory BCG's  for head spacing so I am wondering if the FA BCG is a must or can I use another brand without fear of problems.  Ive never head spaced any of my AR15 rifles and have had no issues but with the new platform I am not so sure.  What says the Forum?

The barrel is all I have so far and this build may take a while or who knows I may get a wild hair and buy everything I need.  I generally buy my lower receivers from Black Creek Precision and use Aero uppers.  BCP doesnt have any receiver sets in stock now and Ive asked but  havent received any info on when they may start another run.  As far as the upper, I do want FA and dust cover or at least the dust cover.  I am looking at different sets now in case BCP wont produce any any time soon.

I bought a cheap RRA two stage FCG to try out, its my first two stage.  I dont know if the LR will be its final destination yet since I have no experience with them.  Ive pretty much used ALG ACTs in most of my builds with a smattering of this that and the other single stages.  I plan to use the LR for mostly hunting so I dont know if I even need the two stage.  Some range time is needed for sure.

As far as the other components, its all personal preference for me and I will buy as I catch a sale or when I see something I want.  I think I am going to Duracoat it burnt bronze but everything is open.  The most money will be spent in the important stuff.

Its gonna be fun!

I just happened to be reading an older Firearm News that had an article about 1 stage and 2 stage AR triggers. There was something about the geometry of the 2 stage trigger that The Guys at the Crane Navel Warfare Center in Indiana (I hope I got that exactly right) leaning toward the 2 stage trigger. There was something about the actual design that makes a good trigger easier to produce, especially with computer machining, and they also found them to be a bit more safe, in regards to drops with the safety disengaged. The Navy boys decided they liked the Geissle  2 stage with a flat trigger, and said they were putting them into a lot of weapons for "Special Forces."  Now I do know enough that I'm not an "operator, and the fact that some guys who really go there and do that like them, does not make whatever piece of gear God's gift to man, but it is interesting that they are finding that they are getting measurable time and accuracy differences with no loss of durability 

or reliability out of these 2 stage trigger than over a single stage, with the side benefit of being a bit safer is a mortar hits to close just as you were about to take a shot. The Navy guys even went in to detail about a "focus effect" of prepping the trigger, etc etc. Fascinating.  I have no idea if they tested other 2 stage triggers and found the same things. It was implied that someone pointed them to these Geissle 2 stages, so they went in to some depth in making sure they would go bang every time, and found out a lot about 2 stage triggers that was good.  

What I can tell you is that I have a RRA 2 stage on my main AR, and I love it. My build, which looks more like a Pistol every day, will have a Larue 2stage at that amazing price of 87 bucks.  What I'd love to know from some of the connected people here if there is anyway to get the actual report they issued. It's obvious they went beyond just this trigger and were looking into the use of 2 stage triggers in the M16/M4 platform  in various combat roles. 

It's a sweet trigger. It might be inexpensive, and not the latest high tech cartridge trigger costing 2-300 + bucks,  but I certainly would not call it "cheap".   I know you really want to use good quality parts, and I hope you are pleasantly surprised with the RRA. Good is good, and RRA has been making them forever, and knows what they are doing. You could always put an 87 buck Larue in it...  :laugh:          It's got more cool factor than the RRA...    :cool: