hlhneast

LR .308 Build

after looking on the net  if i was going to buy a upper block for lr 308 i would give this 1 a try. i dont have a dpms  i own a RRA lar 308 which is a odd duck not much interchanges with dpms, 

https://www.plastixrevolution.net/collections/ar10-upper-receiver-vise-blocks/products/308-upper-receiver-vise-block-ar10-sr25-lr308

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 8:00 AM, dfairclothrra said:

after looking on the net  if i was going to buy a upper block for lr 308 i would give this 1 a try. i dont have a dpms  i own a RRA lar 308 which is a odd duck not much interchanges with dpms, 

https://www.plastixrevolution.net/collections/ar10-upper-receiver-vise-blocks/products/308-upper-receiver-vise-block-ar10-sr25-lr308

I have that same block for the AR15.

Just used it yesterday for my 9mm AR pistol upper.

Great product well worth the price.

Thanks.

Glenn

Thanks brother, I looked at those and may buy one yet.  I wish Magpul made a BEV type block for the bigger platform.  Ive used the shat out of mine and its perfect for the 15 platform.  Most of the LR308 polymer blocks do not have good reviews and none have the barrel engagement feature for upper work.  Ive removed some frickin stubborn barrel nuts with it and its held up well.

Come on Magpul!  Get with the program!!

Received my Blem Aero upper today and all I find is one very very minor scratch on the side of the receiver.  Something the rifle will get on its first outing.  I dont know if all the LR308 uppers have an allen screw for the forward assist but I really like that feature.  Dealing with that roll pin is a PITA trying to keep the upper stable while pushing the FA button and hammering home a pin.  Its almost a four handed operation.

I am thinking of Duracoating this rifle for something different and was looking at camo stencils thinking maybe multicam, digitals in green or brown, maybe tigerstripe and ran across this site offering a Damascus pattern.  Wow, Ive always liked the Damascus look on knives and it got me thinking (dangerous, yes, I know!) about doing a midnight bronze overlay on a lighter burnt or sunrise bronze.  It also could be used to look like wood grain with brown colors.  Then even wilder I thought about incorporating a distressed American flag in the pattern on an A2 fixed stock, sorta ghosted into the camo pattern.  I wrote the company to see how big the flag image is to see if its feasible. 

Maybe I need more sleep!

Links:

WeaponWorksLLC Home

Damascus camo pattern

Distressed Flag

On 7/6/2020 at 1:22 AM, hlhneast said:

Man I really like this lower from Aero.  At $200 its quite expensive but only $10 more than the regular M5 lower.  With some careful color infill, it will be outstanding!

Aero Precision Liberty Edition Lower Receiver

Looks Good !

The graphic is classy. 

I ordered one of these linear compensator/sound forwarders for my LR308.  These are amazing muzzle devices, I own two, one on my .45ACP PCC and the other on my .450 Bushy.  I shot 5 rounds from the Bushy and didnt use hearing protection!  Its something I would never recommend but in my excitement to shoot my new rifle. I didnt grab my muffs, sat down and shot the first round.  Hmm, first round high and to the left.  Adjust scope.  Shoot no. 2.  adjust.  Shoot 3, "Hey I dont have hearing protection on".  Ears not ringing......Hmmmm.  Shot two more, scope sighted and I am pleasantly surprised how quiet this rifle is for the shooter.  Dont think I want to be anywhere else without protection but behind the trigger is good.

Kaw Valley Linear Compensator

* If your are interested in trying one of these, be careful, there are two varieties that look the same/  One is designed for PCC's and the other for rifles.  The Magnum is for rifles and is made of stronger materials.

On 7/4/2020 at 7:00 AM, dfairclothrra said:

I was thinking about getting a combo block set up, so I could do both AR 15 and AR 10 with one kit. 

Does anyone use a combo their combo caliber kits, or is it best to stick to the caliber specific kits ? 

It looks like an innovative product, and the reviews from the Board are solid. Seems like you get more for your money than the price of a Magpul BEV block alone. 

I wish they had a video of exactly how the product works for us build virgins.  Much is self explanatory, but i'd like to see it in action, as i'd never seen anything exactly like it before. 

19 hours ago, Retcop said:

I was thinking about getting a combo block set up, so I could do both AR 15 and AR 10 with one kit. 

Does anyone use a combo their combo caliber kits, or is it best to stick to the caliber specific kits ? 

It looks like an innovative product, and the reviews from the Board are solid. Seems like you get more for your money than the price of a Magpul BEV block alone. 

I wish they had a video of exactly how the product works for us build virgins.  Much is self explanatory, but i'd like to see it in action, as i'd never seen anything exactly like it before. 

John it looks to me like the plastic blocks clamp the upper in the vice on each side.  I dont know if the clear plastic is included or it is there for illustrative use.  Dfaircloth or Glenn will have to answer that.  It also looks like you still need a reaction rod for torquing the barrel nut and also need a lower receiver block as well for full service.  IMHO thats what makes the BEV the best deal for the AR15.  It covers all those situations.  Its tough as well.  I had one barrel nut I  ended up using a cheater bar to break loose and I thought I was going to break my picnic table where the vise was attached.  I dont think the linked holding device linked would be sufficient without damaging the upper.  I need the big brother of the BEV for the 308.

I am going to Quote Dfaircloth and Glenn here to hopefully get a response and a bit of education.

On 7/5/2020 at 7:21 PM, geepee3 said:

I have that same block for the AR15.

Just used it yesterday for my 9mm AR pistol upper.

Great product well worth the price.

Thanks.

Glenn

Whatcha say fellers?

you dont need a reaction rod with it. i am sure there is other videos then this 1.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 2:22 AM, hlhneast said:

Man I really like this lower from Aero.  At $200 its quite expensive but only $10 more than the regular M5 lower.  With some careful color infill, it will be outstanding!

Aero Precision Liberty Edition Lower Receiver

Aaaaauuuggghhhhh!!!!

Freakin out of stock!!!  Its hard to fathom Aero is OOS on all  M5 308 stripped lowers, regular, special edition, black, FDE, all..  Heavy sigh.  I bought my M5 upper first thinking no big, I will grab a lower the next week.  I guess I shoulda blew up my CC instead of being responsible.  Not like its the last piece to buy but as hunting season looms and more parts come in I get antsy.  I put my name on the "Notify when available" list.  Hopefully one of these lists Ive subscribed with will come thru at some point before opening day.  Gun season opens Nov. 7th but I may need this rifle a bit earlier in the week.  No telling if there will be disillusioned radical loonie tunes needing lead injections after Election Day.

Sometimes my BRD is so strong I just want to complete the rifle right away or sometimes I buy a part here and there and chuck it in a box labelled with the caliber or configuration.  The LR308 is on the front burner and I need  some treatment for my illness.  :ack:

7 minutes ago, dfairclothrra said:

you dont need a reaction rod with it. i am sure there is other videos then this 1.

Thank you D man!  I see how it works now.  What are you using for your lower assembly?

2 hours ago, dfairclothrra said:

Thank you, kind sir !

John