hlhneast

LR .308 Build

What a serious disappointment.  I wrote Aero to find out when they might have some lowers back in stock and this was the reply.  "Blah blah blah, limited production, blah, no longer producing this, blah, blah, high demand, blah, blah, dont know when we will start another rum of LR308, blah, blah, sorry for your luck."

I expected more from a company like Aero Precision.  Most of my rifles are built on their products one form or another.  This flaccid reply from their CS makes me reconsider my go to company.  I know there is high demand across the industry but someone should have an idea when they will go back to producing high volume products that make them money. 

Lack of availability make me think about shelving my .308 project.  Damn shame, I coulda built two AR15s for what I have spent so far.    I have three 'AR15 U/L sets, I guess I will concentrate on turning them into something.  Time to build a 7.62X39 to satisfy my .30cal hunger.

Unless something else happens in the LR.308 saga, I guess this thread will roll on to obscurity.

All sources I can find are sold out of Aero M5 lower receivers. At this point I am wondering if I should go ahead and grab what I can to build this rifle and if I dont like it I can always replace it later.  At $119.99, the PSA lower is cheaper than most and it doesnt have upgrade features like a threaded mag catch roll pin, threaded take down pin hole or a nylon slack take up like most other offerings for just a bit more.  Patience isnt a virtue I have much andworrying about whats happening in the market, I am really considering buying this Gen 3 PSA.

What do y'all think?  Be patient or jump and dont have regrets?

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen3-pa10-stripped-lower-receiver.html

SCORE!  I joined a 308 forum and a member found an Aero M5 lower and I bought it.  The build will commence!

I found out I bought the wrong hand guard.  Aero has two picatinny rail profiles, high and low and of course I chose the wrong one.  I will see how well Delta Team Tactical handles the return.  I am going to exchange the rail for an Odin Works rail thats a bit more expensive but is the correct height to match the upper receiver.  It isnt exactly what I want but its gonna work and be fine.

Still need a stock/buffer assembly and a BCG.  Hopefully those things wont be too hard to find.

1 hour ago, hlhneast said:

SCORE!  I joined a 308 forum and a member found an Aero M5 lower and I bought it.  The build will commence!

I found out I bought the wrong hand guard.  Aero has two picatinny rail profiles, high and low and of course I chose the wrong one.  I will see how well Delta Team Tactical handles the return.  I am going to exchange the rail for an Odin Works rail thats a bit more expensive but is the correct height to match the upper receiver.  It isnt exactly what I want but its gonna work and be fine.

Still need a stock/buffer assembly and a BCG.  Hopefully those things wont be too hard to find.

Good deal ! !

Where there is a will there is a way, my Dad used to say. 

You can't stop progress...of a build.   :segrin:

I m awaiting a response from Hogue on the overall length of this fore grip (their term) before I buy it but I am definitely going to buy one of these and an over molded adjustable stock to match.  Apparently the pistol grips are OOS or I would buy that combo.  No big, black will be fine.  All I need is a buffer tube assembly.  I have a .308 buffer spring left over from my PCC build, I might just buy a tube and a heavier buffer.  I have an adjustable gas block for it so I dont need to sweat buffer weights too badly.

I bought the wrong profile HG from Delta Team and have an RMA, just waiting on return shipping instructions from them.  I thought I might exchange it for another one but DTT's offerings are pretty slim.  I dont want to "settle" for something I wont like after I shoot it.  The Odin Works HG I was thinking about is keymod and is pretty well opened up making it light weight but maybe a bit rough handling during extended shooting sessions.  The Hogue is a solid tube with over molded rubber gripping surface and looks more user friendly.  I like the Ghillie green pattern as well.

https://www.hogueinc.com/ar-15-m16-rilfe-length-overmolded-free-float-forend-ghillie-green

https://www.hogueinc.com/ar-15-m16-overmolded-collapsible-buttstock-fits-mil-spec-buffer-tube-ghillie-green

Well hell, if I waited a few days I could have saved $25!  Primary Arms just sent me a "Back in Stock" email..  I guess I will be getting about 9 more of these notices in the next week or two as the retailers get their back orders.  No special editions yet tho.  I really wanted the Freedom Edition rather than a big "A" on thew side of my rifle.  No big, I am happy I found anything.  My cuz wants me to build a Creedmore for him so I will most likely grab one for him if he is ready to jump.

Glad to see something I want back in stock somewhere.

Isn't always that way with sales ?  <sigh>

Are you still clean shaven like in your picture, or do you have a beard now ? 

Edited by Retcop

14 minutes ago, Retcop said:

Isn't always that way with sales ?  <sigh>

Are you still clean shaven like in your picture, or do you have a beard now ? 

I wear a short goat-tee to hide my double chin, why?

1 minute ago, hlhneast said:

I wear a short goat-tee to hide my double chin, why?

Then I don't think those slots on the stock will give you any problems. 

When I looked at what appears to be a very nice stock, those M-lock looking slots 

made me think it might be a whisker puller for someone with a full beard.  Hard to tell

from a picture.  I don't think a goatee will give you any problems at all, and they might not be a problem

with even a full beard. Just thought i would mention it since it was the first thing that popped into my head

when looking at it.  Can't wait for you to review it. That looks good for a decent price, and we all know Houge

stuff is first class. The grips I have on my J frame are amazing, and they have withstood heavy use over time. 

Houge is quality stuff, designed by shooters. 

I'm very interested in your build, and I sure it's gonna be one of those "go to" rifles that can do a whole bunch

of different stuff well.  If I did not have a box fed .308 semi auto in the safe that was an Anniversary present,

there is no doubt I would have an "AR 10" in my line up. Such a versatile weapon and caliber. 

I have daydreamed talking to the wife about selling it for an AR in .308,

but it always turns into a nightmare ending with my slow, painful death.     :bellylaf:

Plus, I love the wood and steel infusion into my modest collection.   

John

20 hours ago, Retcop said:

a box fed .308 semi auto in the safe that was an Anniversary present

Yeah I think you are asking for trouble if you raise that question.  Its going to be easier to convince her you need an LR308 because one is none ya know.  Approach it on the HD aspects, more simple of a weapon, similarity of systems with your 15's, you already have ammo, etc.

I like wooden stocks as well and I miss it with our EBR's. They wouldnt be so evil if they had wooden stocks, right?  I will build one some day.  The three receiver sets in my safe are screaming for some wood for one of them.  One I think is gonna be a 7.62X39 so I have most of the .30cal options covered in case SHTF I have a rifle that will shoot the popular choices of military ammo dropped on the ground or otherwise acquired during battle.

3 hours ago, hlhneast said:

Yeah I think you are asking for trouble if you raise that question.  Its going to be easier to convince her you need an LR308 because one is none ya know.  Approach it on the HD aspects, more simple of a weapon, similarity of systems with your 15's, you already have ammo, etc.

I like wooden stocks as well and I miss it with our EBR's. They wouldnt be so evil if they had wooden stocks, right?  I will build one some day.  The three receiver sets in my safe are screaming for some wood for one of them.  One I think is gonna be a 7.62X39 so I have most of the .30cal options covered in case SHTF I have a rifle that will shoot the popular choices of military ammo dropped on the ground or otherwise acquired during battle.

I came close to buying an "AK".  It was the ammo and needing more AR's that held me back. I think it actually worked out for the best with my limited gun budget. The wife not working was very unexpected. Wen I use 20/20 hindsight, I maybe should have just layed in 1 case of Tula, for the potential of barter, cash, or if I came across a battlefield pick up.. HA! 

I put in ,ore .308 instead. I need to ask here, or check my book for the best parts for an M!A repair kit. I almost bolt a sparet bolt one time, but was unsure of the quality. I need to figure out what fails the most often, and get the parts. I know they are very proud of the op rods, don't know how often they fail.....

When I was younger, I was lukewarm on AR's, but I went to buy one. With Colt just about the only thing around, they were asking a pretty penny. I wonder what it's worth now.  Stoner's platform is genius, and over the years the engineers have made it amazing. Still hoping for a true intermediate cartridge adopted by the Military and Police so that ammo is cheap and plentiful after the contracts are filled the first round. 

Good Luck ! Hope all is well. 

18 hours ago, Retcop said:

Stoner's platform is genius, and over the years the engineers have made it amazing.

A truer statement would be hard to find.  While I am building an impingement rifle I am amazed at form and function.  Most parts perform more than one duty and the simplicity of the rifle is truly a work of engineering wonder to me.  I think thats what started my BRD.  I think Mr. Eugene is smiling down on the industry he started.  It wasnt recognized at the time but with Curtis LeMay and Colt, the AR platform became the go to for our and many other country's military's.

I just ordered the Hogue ghillie green overmold hand guard and collapsible stock.  I kinda wanted to do a DuraCoat in burnt bronze but now I am not sure it would look good with the ghillie green furniture.  That color is a kinda streaky green camo so I am not sure if I want to paint over the anodizing now.  With the other parts I have built up, I still have time to do another rifle in BB.

I am still waiting for some instructions from DDT about returning the HG I bought mistakenly.  I told them a store credit would be fine as I still need a few parts for the .308 like a buffer tube assembly with a properly weighted buffer, maybe a set of BUIS.  Truthfully I think I have almost everything to start this rifle build so i may review my parts box for items for future '15 builds on the receivers I have.  The last big item is the .308 BCG and another $200.  This rifle will be my most expensive build to date but I dont really mind.  I know its gonna be a badass.

On 7/17/2020 at 4:54 AM, Retcop said:

those M-lock looking slots 

made me think it might be a whisker puller for someone with a full beard. 

John, I looked at the Hogue description on the stock when ordering it and it actually said "Beard Safe"!  That's funny right there!  I guess the question arose at some point.

Woo hoo!  My Aero M5 lower is in town at BCP waiting for me to pick it up.  Another $20 to BCP for the transfer, and the wait for FDLE  BC approval and I am out the door and I will start the build.  Crap, I forgot U/L receiver assembly blocks.  Back to the 'net.

2 hours ago, hlhneast said:

I just ordered the Hogue ghillie green overmold hand guard and collapsible stock.  I kinda wanted to do a DuraCoat in burnt bronze but now I am not sure it would look good with the ghillie green furniture.  That color is a kinda streaky green camo so I am not sure if I want to paint over the anodizing now.  With the other parts I have built up, I still have time to do another rifle in BB.

I am still waiting for some instructions from DDT about returning the HG I bought mistakenly.  I told them a store credit would be fine as I still need a few parts for the .308 like a buffer tube assembly with a properly weighted buffer, maybe a set of BUIS.  Truthfully I think I have almost everything to start this rifle build so i may review my parts box for items for future '15 builds on the receivers I have.  The last big item is the .308 BCG and another $200.  This rifle will be my most expensive build to date but I dont really mind.  I know its gonna be a badass.

John, I looked at the Hogue description on the stock when ordering it and it actually said "Beard Safe"!  That's funny right there!  I guess the question arose at some point.

Woo hoo!  My Aero M5 lower is in town at BCP waiting for me to pick it up.  Another $20 to BCP for the transfer, and the wait for FDLE  BC approval and I am out the door and I will start the build.  Crap, I forgot U/L receiver assembly blocks.  Back to the 'net.

All right, the rocket has almost reached the launchpad !

I have a feeling (could be off) that you are going to kinda take this one a bit slowly and savor the build, perfection over speed.

That IS funny about the "beard safe" in the description.  To be frank, I hesitated saying something because I did not want to be misinterpreted that I was dissing your build. But I thought, man, if he has a beard, that looks like it's gonna hurt. Maybe he is not thinking about it in the excitement, and I should say something in case he has a mountain man beard, and he can return it. 

It feels good that it is apparent that those slots were creating a giant FAQ, and so I was not the only one who noticed.

I am just a tiny bit less insane today then I was yesterday.      :laugh:

On 7/22/2020 at 2:08 AM, Retcop said:

But I thought, man, if he has a beard, that looks like it's gonna hurt.

Funny story.  I worked with an electrician who had about a 4" beard and this guy was an accident haiting to happen.  He was drilling holes overhead and really got bucked up under his drill.  HE titled his chin up and got too close to the rotating drill and snatched out about a quarter sized chunck of his beard, roots and all.  I sawhim years later, clean shaven, so I asked him about it.  He said the beard never grew back so he stayed shaven after that point.

On 7/22/2020 at 2:08 AM, Retcop said:

I am just a tiny bit less insane today then I was yesterday.

Mmmm, OK???  LOL!  :ack: