hlhneast

LR .308 Build

My fore end and stock arrived Tuesday.  I was hoping the "camo" pattern wouldve been a little more distinct but you have to look closely to see any variation of color.  The HG and Stock are quality pieces and I expected no different from Hogue.  At least I can mock up what I have and see what it looks like.  I sent the wrong hand guard back to DTT Saturday and asked for a store refund.  I will figure out what I want from them, probly some mags or BUIS.  A high quality BCG is my main focus now and the last piece of the puzzle.  I ordered a couple of C-Products steel mags, one 5rd and a 20rd along with a .308 carbine buffer kit.
If anyone has a goodsuggestion on a quality BCG that will most likely headspace with the Criterion barrel, let me know.

On 7/18/2020 at 11:33 PM, hlhneast said:

A truer statement would be hard to find.  While I am building an impingement rifle I am amazed at form and function.  Most parts perform more than one duty and the simplicity of the rifle is truly a work of engineering wonder to me.  I think thats what started my BRD.  I think Mr. Eugene is smiling down on the industry he started.  It wasnt recognized at the time but with Curtis LeMay and Colt, the AR platform became the go to for our and many other country's military's.

Our Military should be using the 6.8 round, IMHO.

NATO sucks, and I would like to see our guys with something with better terminal ballistics than the 5.56. 

The 6.8 also does well in shorter barrels, so you would have a great CQB and a DMR  cartridge all in one. 

9 hours ago, hlhneast said:

My fore end and stock arrived Tuesday.  I was hoping the "camo" pattern wouldve been a little more distinct but you have to look closely to see any variation of color.  The HG and Stock are quality pieces and I expected no different from Hogue.  At least I can mock up what I have and see what it looks like.  I sent the wrong hand guard back to DTT Saturday and asked for a store refund.  I will figure out what I want from them, probly some mags or BUIS.  A high quality BCG is my main focus now and the last piece of the puzzle.  I ordered a couple of C-Products steel mags, one 5rd and a 20rd along with a .308 carbine buffer kit.
If anyone has a goodsuggestion on a quality BCG that will most likely headspace with the Criterion barrel, let me know.

Look no further than Young for that little goodie IMHO. Decades of supplying shooters that win seem to be a good indication of what quality will do in the right hands.

Greg

2 hours ago, GLShooter said:

Look no further than Young for that little goodie IMHO. Decades of supplying shooters that win seem to be a good indication of what quality will do in the right hands.

Greg

Thanks Greg.  The Grendel Type 1 bolt you put me on was one fine piece of craftsmanship.

I am still hung up on the BCG.  Cost variables run from $130 to well over $400.  Criterion offers Fulton Armory and JP Enterprise's bolts headspaced on their website and I should probly have gone that route but Primart Arms had a good deal on the barrel.  Scratching around for the good deal sometimes isnt a good deal.  While I want a quality bolt that will head space properly, I am nervous about spending a ton of money only to discover the bolt is a No Go.  The bolt and carrier I would like is $375 and i cannot click the "Buy" button. Ive set $200 or a little more as my limit and there are several options there.  I think the best candidate is an Aero Precision.  If their bolt wont head space, I will then maybe look to Young or JP enterprises.  I still havent started the assembly as yet but it will start this weekend as I received my assembly blocks from PlastixRevolutions this week.  Pics to follow shortly.

99.9% of the bolts you will buy t will be perfectly fine. "match bolt and barrel" combos just mean that they throw a bolt in there, it turns and head space passes the  GO/NO GO test. They do not cut your chamber specifically to a bolt. They have a bucket full of bolts and will try one until gets as close as they need to be.  The same goes with "matched" uppers and lowers. They just slap two together and look for a good fitment. With CNC milling and computerized chambering the consistency is truly amazing.  

I would buy the AERO and not look back because just like everyone here budget does often rule out choices. If I were going to campaign a new rifle in matches etc. heavily I might dip my toe deeper in the money pool but for me my AR10 was never going to be a daily shooter. I much prefer my M1A's for play..LOL

BTW I went down and talked to Young last week as we had not chatted in a few months. He no longer  makes full 308 BCG's. He does have some carriers in stock but you wil have to plug in the rest of the parts.  Personally if I were doing that I'd just order up a DPMS set up and added it to Dan's product.  He basically felt that with teh cheap stiff flooding the market like BCA it was not worth his machine time to do the 10's. He can sell many more 15's BCG's in comparison and looking at the geography of the shooting areas I frequent the AR10 versions only show up about 1 in 20 vs. the 15 platform.

Greg

Thanks much for your input, Greg.  It puts my mind at ease.  About the only thing left is to decide whether to buy Nitride or NiB.  I like the slick black look of the Nitride and the silver of the NiB.  Both are slick and easy to clean.  Nitride right now is easier to find so I will probly go that route.

shiney can scare critters

1 minute ago, GLShooter said:

I like shiny!! LOL

Greg

1 minute ago, dfairclothrra said:

That's why they make dust covers.

Greg

Just now, GLShooter said:

That's why they make dust covers.

Greg

i gone to side charger no dust cover 

10 minutes ago, dfairclothrra said:

i gone to side charger no dust cover 

The funny thing is bolt action rifles have and have had shiny bolts for decades yet most of us never give a thought to that. I have a couple side charges but they came with black BCG's and are still awaiting something appropriate to hang on the barrel wise.   I know my bright stainless barrels,AFAIK,  don't hurt with PD's but if I were going after real game/predators I'd rattle can them in a heart beat.

Greg

1 minute ago, GLShooter said:

The funny thing is bolt action rifles have and have had shiny bolts for decades yet most of us never give a thought to that. I have a couple side charges but they came with black BCG's and are still awaiting something appropriate to hang on the barrel wise.   I know my bright stainless barrels,AFAIK,  don't hurt with PD's but if I were going after real game/predators I'd rattle can them in a heart beat.

Greg

yup yotes are skittish i been busted with my bead blasted 257 wby mag trying to get a young kid a shot. 

Aero black nitride ordered.  Its the last piece of the rifle.  Now I gotta decide on glass.

Glass, glass, glass.  What to buy for this new build.  I will budget up to $500 on it to match the quality of the build but I am not sure what route I want to take.  I am building this rifle for a highly accurate hunting rig but in my neck of the woods, shots longer than 100yds are the exception.  Do I want to be 200yds+ capable, absolutely, but it would be a rare thing.  I am looking at variable scopes with low power starting points of 3X or 4X and upper sides at or above 9X.  These scopes are typically long and can be bulky and dont really suit a black rifle with a shorter barrel (mine is 18") than say a long barreled bolt gun.  If I can find a "tactical" variable rifle scope with a smaller frame, I would buy one. On the other hand, I also like the smaller 1X4X/6X or 8X with smaller tube diameters like a 28 or 30mm.  These scopes are much smaller and suit a black rifle much better. 

Price ranges are all over the spectrum with brand names, focal planes and optical coatings.  While my new build is top quality, I cant really justify spending a bunch of money on glass.  I would love to buy a Trijicon or top notch Nikon or Leopold but I would mount them on a $3K rifle for a high dollar guided hunt or safari.  I dont see that in my future but some hard use flogging public Management areas in the swamps, pine forests and occasional clear cuts until I cant do it any longer definitely is.

Ive been looking at reasonably priced Primary, Vortex, Leopold and Nikons, mostly in around $300 or so.  Coated optics definitely and I would like a FFP if its in the budget range.  I am open to any suggestions on what to buy with the above considerations in mind. If you have a scope on a black rifle you have had good luck with, please let me know what you have.  Its the last piece of the whole project as I now have everything I need for the actual rifle.