Ziggys

Question on colt AR

I bought this about a year ago and have never shot it, the gun has never been fired. When I purchased it did not have a box so I am unsure of the specific model number , though I believe it to be a colt le6920 from assault rifle ban era. (New old stock). If anyone knows exactly what model this is, and what it’s be worth if I sold it myself or what to look for value wise on a trade with a gun shop that would be really helpful. I am a novice with these rifles, so any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance. 
tiJmbeb.jpg

NctOSZw.jpg
JwIzyey.jpg
BMxE2nf.jpg

Also. Can I shoot 5.56 out of this even though it’s stamped 223? They sold me 556 when I bought the gun, but I’m doubting that I can (or should) put 556 through it. 

Look at the barrel and see if it is marked 5.56mm NATO as barrels are the important part in determining actual chambering. Receiver marking really means nothing.

It is definitely ban era as they didn't start using Colt Defense name until 2002 and in 2004 when the ban expired they stopped using the "restricted" markings and some time between those 2 dates they stopped marking them with Colt Manufacturing for the civilian models and everything was marked Colt Defense. 

6 minutes ago, MontanaLon said:

Look at the barrel and see if it is marked 5.56mm NATO as barrels are the important part in determining actual chambering. Receiver marking really means nothing.

It is definitely ban era as they didn't start using Colt Defense name until 2002 and in 2004 when the ban expired they stopped using the "restricted" markings and some time between those 2 dates they stopped marking them with Colt Manufacturing for the civilian models and everything was marked Colt Defense. 

Thank you, this is great. So it’s from some time between 2002-2004. Any idea on value?  I have everything but the box , and I don’t think the manual I have is for this exact gun (but a very similar colt). 

Right now it is definitely a sellers market. Value is what someone who can't find an AR is willing to pay. Realistically, $600-$750 is probably what you could have picked one up for 6 months ago, right now I am sure you could find some sucker to probably give you close to double that amount if you wanted.

Colt Model AR6520. There was also a R6520. The difference is that the AR6520 has the LE markings and the R6520 did not. As far as value, these are being sold anywhere between $1200-$1500 right now in most cases. If NIB, they are worth even more to collectors. These are nice Colts to have. I have an AR6320 (one of 297 made). It has not been fired since leaving Colt in early 2002. I have everything (unopened accessory pack) except for the box. When the original owner had it, he kept the Colt in the safe, but the box was stored elsewhere and was eventually damaged by flood waters. I was after this Colt for nearly three years before I was finally able to buy it from the owner.

vo3BXmJ.jpg

J1NqrPi.jpg

4 minutes ago, TackleberryMCS said:

Colt Model AR6520. There was also a R6520. The difference is that the AR6520 has the LE markings and the R6520 did not. As far as value, these are being sold anywhere between $1200-$1500 right now in most cases. If NIB, they are worth even more to collectors. These are nice Colts to have. I have an AR6320 (one of 297 made). It has not been fired since leaving Colt in early 2002. I have everything (unopened accessory pack) except for the box. When the original owner had it, he kept the Colt in the safe, but the box was stored elsewhere and was eventually damaged by flood waters. I was after this Colt for nearly three years before I was finally able to buy it from the owner.

vo3BXmJ.jpg

J1NqrPi.jpg

Awesome. Thank you so much!

one reason I’m thinking about getting rid of this is I’d rather have one with a rail on the upper for optics (vs mounting in the handle). Would you recommend selling and buying something else a little cheaper with the rail or adding a new upper on this one?

1 hour ago, Ziggys said:

Awesome. Thank you so much!

one reason I’m thinking about getting rid of this is I’d rather have one with a rail on the upper for optics (vs mounting in the handle). Would you recommend selling and buying something else a little cheaper with the rail or adding a new upper on this one?

Selling it and buying something else. You do not want to mess with the originality of this Colt. I sent you a PM in regard to this.