GLShooter

$14.95 WILL COST YOU $600.00

We all know the dangers of "extra" parts and how they may adversely effect our pocketbook.  Two years ago I picked up a Rogers Super Stoc for a build and they were so cheap I bought two extra. The extra two have resided on top of a couple of powder cans on my shelf and I got tired of moving them around.  Once the tiredness passed I pulled one down and pondered how to get one out of the way. Heck if you have a stock you need a buffer tube and a buffer,right? , and if you have a buffer you need a complete lower and upper, right?, and if you have a those two you need a barrel and hand guard. Es verdad?  I don't own a PCC so figured I might as well get my tow wet with another distraction.

As many have commented parts are hard to come by at this time. I went and consulted with George  of BTE as he builds a lots of guns and makes a lot of parts. He was way out on uppers/lowers but some of his parts were at the anodizers and would be in in about three weeks.  If I could find the main stuff he could help me out on the rest.  The hunt was on!! 

I started a nationwide, via Google, search and came up pretty dry so went native and started looking here in Phoenix. K&E is a company that is down near Tempe and they got into the business during the last go around of shortages.  Lo and behold they did have a set of 9MM Glock style uppers and lowers in stock and I had a chat with them setting up a delivery to a local FFL they deal with that would do the transfer for free.  I waited a couple days and contacted the FFL and set up a time to pick up the parts. The drive down took twice as long as the transfer..LOL  

I already had a 9 MM 16" barrel that I obtained several months ago from hat a fellow I had assisted over a long period of time on a project and  sent it  along as a Thank You. I had all the FCG parts tucked away. With those issues settled I headed on down to see George.  I've  arranged for a BTE trigger, one of his M-Lok HGs and his own buffer tube/buffer combo to be set aside when they come into his shop in a few weeks. The stock, as you can see, is tan and he has agreed to Cerakote the whole rifle for me using that as a starting point.   I have already picked out a scope but that is the least of my concerns in the time line.  I am looking at a set of bck up irons for the rig. I have a GG&G rear that I won in a match years ago so I'll have to get a compatible front one for it.

Here's the part that is starting my pocket book drain to fill in the time waiting on my three bolt action switch barrels to come in.  I could have bought a complete finished gun a tad cheaper but where's the fun in that?

OGkVgN7.jpg

I'll post more as it goes along.

Greg

• Like 1

Spare parts are good. Just label that bin "replacement parts" and move on. If you don't do that, you'll never have spare parts or a positive balance in your checking account  

I have a number of small parts, but I made it a practice several years ago to not buy larger pieces until I had a real reason for them (to do a specific build). I had found by having larger pieces laying around (ie, handguards, stocks, optics, BUISs, receivers, barrels, etc.) that I had a greater chance of building something without any reason behind it. Granted, I love building and get a great deal of pleasure from it, but these days I need a reason to justify it other than just doing it. I rarely buy a complete AR, although I did just drop some cash for an excellent condition Colt AR-15 A2  GOVT CARBINE (AR6520 - LE markings) to add to my Colt collection. This is one of the few exceptions I will make to justify buying a complete AR.

11 hours ago, tommag said:

Spare parts are good. Just label that bin "replacement parts" and move on. If you don't do that, you'll never have spare parts or a positive balance in your checking account  

After 50 years of doing this I have lots of "replacement" parts. I tend to always buy extra anytime I need something so I am better prepared the next time.  Looking for a FCG  group for this one I found an ambi-safety that I must have got a deal on a couple years ago. As I dug deeper in my big bag of lower parts I found two more ambi-safeties!!  For the life of me I can't remember buying them but I know I got a smoking deal on them or I wouldn't have them.  That's how I got-the Rogers stock.. They run around $80.00 or so and a fellow told me about them on E-bay. At less than $15.00 I figured now was the time to get ready for the future.  I'm looking at six unbuilt lowers in my spare parts box and a pair of side charge uppers and around 15 AR barrels new in the tube. It is a challenge not to slip back into the addiction.

3 hours ago, TackleberryMCS said:

I have a number of small parts, but I made it a practice several years ago to not buy larger pieces until I had a real reason for them (to do a specific build). I had found by having larger pieces laying around (ie, handguards, stocks, optics, BUISs, receivers, barrels, etc.) that I had a greater chance of building something without any reason behind it. Granted, I love building and get a great deal of pleasure from it, but these days I need a reason to justify it other than just doing it. I rarely buy a complete AR, although I did just drop some cash for an excellent condition Colt AR-15 A2  GOVT CARBINE (AR6520 - LE markings) to add to my Colt collection. This is one of the few exceptions I will make to justify buying a complete AR.

I'm with you Tack. I just don't buy whole guns much and I am getting so bad I'm doing switch barrel rifles on Remington and Rugers now. The Savage got me spoiled for that and in 15 minutes I can have a "new" gun to play with.  Noneya would be proud..LOL

Greg

• Like 1

A couple more parts of the puzzle.

zkxRMQy.jpg

Greg

Totally get it.  Started with a replacement spring kit.  Now I need to build a small shed.

More puzzle pieces.

bUEPoIe.jpg

Still waiting onthe BTE goodies.

Greg

The Rodgers Super Stock is a fine piece of kit.  I ran into a good deal as well a couple years back and just used the last one a few months ago.  I like the solid lock up feature to stop a noisy stock to buffer tube fit.  I found them on sale for about $25 from a TX company whos name escapes me right now.  They still hasve them for less than $40 the last time I looked and I will buy more for future builds especially if they go on sale.

My parts box can put me in the same situation you describe.  Part of it is if I see a good deal, I will buy two or more and chunk them into the box for the future.  I like ambi safeties and I prolly have three at least.  Left over mil spec FCGs and pistol grips I will most likely never use.  I try to buy LPKs without but when ya see a good deal on a kit its no big deal.  I usually need the grip screw anyway.  I could run to the hardware store and buy a few for the box but havent as of yet.  I am like James tho, I wait to buy the bigger parts until a plan comes together.  Sometimes a sale on a larger part may start a plan like my .450 Bushy but it was something I was already thinking of building.

I have a box for my LR308 and I need to go thru it and make sure I have all the pieces and scratch around in my parts box for what I havent transferred.  No time like the present.

Good luck with the rest of your parts.  Its good to have friends in the industry as you do or you might be like the rest of us, looking for the unobtanium.