Flesh Wound

Damn this heat.

I got a bunch of tooling in I need for a project. The weather is just too hot for my fouled up semi-old arse.

I'm itching to get busy but at 100F every day this week it's almost a no-no.

Totally get it.  With those temperatures I would spend the day itching other sweaty body parts.  Wishing it cools down for you!

About the same here.   Temps hovering around 100 and heat index well over that.  :sweating:

On 8/10/2020 at 4:56 PM, Flesh Wound said:

I got a bunch of tooling in I need for a project. The weather is just too hot for my fouled up semi-old arse.

I'm itching to get busy but at 100F every day this week it's almost a no-no.

Is it humid where You are ? Swamp cooler if it's dry  if not a portable A/C unit might be Your only hope at least cool air on You is better than nothing .

Yesterday it rained off and on all day.......add that to the 107* heat and today it is miserable. I don't do heat well and I sure don't do humidity very well either...combine them and I am down for the count. I did a little work in the shop this morning and was dripping sweat off my elbows and soaked my clothes in minutes......yuk. 

I remember years ago wiring my old house in the attic on a hot day. I literally had full streams of sweat coming off my elbows.....I thought for a second the roof was leaking on me. After a few close calls with heat exhaustion it does not take much to make me sick. Last Friday I almost passed out when I stood up to fast and for the last few days I have been off because of the heat. I keep sucking up the liquids but I am about done with this 105+ heat every day. 

I hear ya TT. I had to change a tire on the front of my Silverado in the 102F sun and heat on Sunday. While a relatively short job I had to change clothes afterwards. I was soaked. I also do not tolerate heat well any more. Like you after a couple of heat exhaustion episodes I'm screwed if I get too warm.

We are having one of the mildest Summers in my memory here.  

Highs in the low 80's, lows in the 60's to low 70's, and low humidity levels.

For Southern Illinois in the middle of August, that is approaching miracle territory. 

Weather has been different since last Winter. The odd thing is, this kind of weather used to be considered the norm,

and after years of numbers trending down, now it is unusually mild. What was once normal is now odd, and it cycles around again. 

I read it hit 130F in Death Valley the other day.  

I grew up about an hour from there where it was 114 yesterday. 

Glad I dont live there anymore.

On 8/11/2020 at 4:37 PM, BushXM15 said:

Is it humid where You are ? Swamp cooler if it's dry  if not a portable A/C unit might be Your only hope at least cool air on You is better than nothing .

Had a friend in N Texas whose ranch I used to go deer, dove and quail hunting on.  ALWAYS HOT and maybe 90% humidity.  House, actually opnly the living room was cooled, had a swam cooler.  Felt so good after being all hot and sweaty, but using the swamp cooler in the humidity made it feel like you were sitting on a wet sponge (his couch).  In hindsight... all us sweaty bodies, wonder what kind of nasty bacterias and mold must have been living inside that furniture.

I considered a swamp cooler for the garage but I really do not want to introduce more humidity into a workshop populated with machinery.

Leads me to another story that now pisses me off.  I was just a kid, maybe 14.  All the "ADULTS" were cramped up in the front seat of the truck with A/C.  I got to ride in the back with all the dead critters and heat.  Including mosquitoes.  I was a stupid kid sometimes.  Well, maybe a lot more than sometimes... but thats another story.  My dads buddy said he had some WD 40 in his gun kit.  "Just spray that all over you and the mosquitos and flys will leave you alone".  Now, all I have to say s well "F^CK HIM".  The heat, the oil, my skin was so broke out.  I was so miserable.  And it was a 6 hour ride home.  AND, I did not get to take the first shower.  What a butthead I was.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wish2no said:

Had a friend in N Texas whose ranch I used to go deer, dove and quail hunting on.  ALWAYS HOT and maybe 90% humidity.  House, actually opnly the living room was cooled, had a swam cooler.  Felt so good after being all hot and sweaty, but using the swamp cooler in the humidity made it feel like you were sitting on a wet sponge (his couch).  In hindsight... all us sweaty bodies, wonder what kind of nasty bacterias and mold must have been living inside that furniture.

Swamp coolers work great when humidty is 5-30% but really go down hill after 50% and anything over 70%

One's really pissing into the wind so to speak ,better off with a fan .

Swamp coolers also rust machinery any surfaces  which are unprotected. 

Lathe bed ways table saw Shaper Mill etc. . I used to use 600-1200 sand paper with oil ,clean surface rust off then solvent wash clean and dry then WAX those surfaces and polish them.

Finally built a double radiator closed cooling system ,using the swamp cooler as the air blower .

By running a chiller inbetween upper and lower radiators , dropped air temp 30 deg. Without humidity . Poormans A/C with air flow volume 👍

This is  one of many reasons why I left Kommyfornia   ,as where we lived it wasn't uncommon to have weeks if not a month of 100+ deg. weather .

An as fickle as the weather had become , it wasn't unheard of having a 100 deg. day on Christmas , back in late 90's or early 2K  it  did just that ; I commemorated the occasion by sending a Email photo  of myself  to friends in Montana , while setting out side at 2 PM in My underwear :sweating:.

We lived 24 miles from the Big Blue Pond  and 45 miles North of San Diego ,CA. . During the early 80's  I was still building and doing a large room addition remodel for a friend . I remember it like yesterday  , We were siding and sheeting a roof closing it up because thunder showers were forecast in August ( unusual for us in that area and time of year ) it reached 114 that day and was actually 102  when it began raining !. MY Good Friend and I had both Served in VN  and had flashbacks about it , Ironic how certain situations smells temperature trigger the memory bank :ack:

Hottest I can remember actually being in  was 121 in Glamis ,CA.  back in the 70's ,while running Dune buggies . As a frequent visitor of the Colorado  River , 60's- 115 deg. was common depending upon time of year and activities .  Dove hunting in Yuma, AZ.  Every September 1 St.- 3Rd. for #20 plus years gets one somewhat used to the Temperature . Lord help you when those ranchers flood their citrus trees and  the humidity along with mosquitoes  eat you alive . It's NOT for the faint of heart at the Temps Yuma sees !!!.   

Anyway at least I didn't see this : 

Death Valley ,CA.

Got lucky..only 103 degrees that day..