wish2no

Recommendations for really good High Quality AM/FM Radio?

AM, FM, Short Wave would be a bonus...  Realized I spend the day listening to a 20 year old radio with tuning knobs.  Tuning is not particurally easy, so I have set it to the one station I listen to the most and just listen to the couple programs that come on here and there.  Made me think I dont have to do that.  I want to get a really good, easy to tune/change channels radio like in my truck where I can easily pick and chose a station as the day wears along.  Does not have to be a small hand held radio, although that woiuld be a bonus.  As long as it has good speakers or you can plug good speakers into it for clear sound.  I do not listen to music very much, 90% is talk radio.  But it is always breaking up, phasing in and out, and generally not staying well tuned depending on the weather and/or time of day.  I figure there has to be something new and wonderful out there now days that wont frustrate me so much.

Short and Long wave, other bands like weather, time, police, fire, first responder in general,  marine, aircraft would all be a fun bonus but not the main consideration.  Mostly just a super good high quality AM radio with a good antenna and tuning ability would be my biggest priority.  I would also say the ability to run on AC/DC and consumer batteries (AAA, AA, C, D, 9v etc) should power go out would be a high priority.

Any suggestions? 

This radio by Eton [Grundig] should fill-the-bill, Wish.  I have their crank radio-version, and it's been a solid performer.

Eton Elite Field AM/FM/Shortwave Desktop Radio with Bluetooth

https://www.amazon.com/Eton-Elite-Shortwave-Desktop-Bluetooth/dp/B07T6LK1X2/ref=pd_lpo_23_t_0/147-9901198-4084756?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07T6LK1X2&pd_rd_r=24470b42-edab-457e-9059-74e40de3b82c&pd_rd_w=7VqNA&pd_rd_wg=18oNu&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=9GJHR5KXHPQJR7DC14PC&refRID=9GJHR5KXHPQJR7DC14PC&th=1

AM/FM SHORTWAVE RADIO: With high sensitivity, strong anti-interference, low background noise, & even lower distortion, this Bluetooth ready AM/FM/shortwave radio delivers excellent audio quality.

FINE TUNING: This radio features an LCD display with coarse/fine digital tuning, treble/bass control & 50 memory stations. It's Bluetooth ready so you can stream your own music or favorite podcast.RF gain control

VERSATILE RECEIVER: This radio includes a line-in/line-out & headphone jacks, plus an FM telescopic antenna & external AM/FM/shortwave antenna connections. Plus it comes with a handy carrying strap!

CONTINUING A LEGACY: For more than 30 years we've combined the best of old world analog electronics with the efficiency of modern day circuits & systems. Custom designed accessories like stitched satchels & pouches round out the Eton experience.

ETON'S COMMITMENT TO INFORMATION: We're committed to helping you stay entertained with access to the latest news, music & information. Whether you're listening to a local radio station or signals from a faraway land, make Eton’s radios your go-to source.

They have other models with more SW bands, etc.

Amazon.com: Eton Field AM / FM / Shortwave Radio with RDS, NGWFB ...

Posted (edited)

Amazon also has the Voyager-series of crank-radios with NOAA channel, and solar-power.  Have no experience with them but they have over 4,000 positive reviews.  Five different case colors.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003A21DQA/ref=twister_B00E0ISVLI?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Kaito KA500 5-way Powered Solar Power,Dynamo Crank, Wind Up Emergency AM/FM/SW/NOAA Weather Alert Radio with Flashlight,Reading Lamp and Cellphone Charger

Kaito KA500 5-Way Powered AM/FM/NOAA Weather Radio (Yellow ...

6-way powered portable emergency radio with hand crank generator, solar panel, compartment for 3 AA batteries (not included), 5V USB input, 5V AC/DC input with a wall power adapter (sold separately), built-in NiMH replaceable and rechargeable battery pack

Comprehensive coverage of AM, FM, 2-band shortwave and 7 pre-programmed NOAA weather channels for entertainment, sports, talk-shows, breaking news around the world, and 24/7 real-time weather forecast (USA and Canada ONLY) with PEAS (Public Emergency Alert System)

Works as an emergency mobile battery charger with built-in standard DC 5V USB output port for charging mobile devices, such as smart phones, GPS units, MP3 players, digital cameras, and etc. Other features include a 5-LED reading lamp, LED flashlight and a red LED S.O.S. beacon light

Telescopic antenna extends up to 14.5" for high sensitivity reception assisted by advanced semiconductor circuitry design and LED signal strength indicator for pin-point tuning accuracy, and built-in speaker delivers loud and crispy sound

Made of strong premium impact-resistant and water-resistant ABS material, suitable for both indoors home/office use and outdoors recreational activities

Edited by Zephyr One/Zero

57 minutes ago, Zephyr One/Zero said:

This radio by Eton [Grundig] should fill-the-bill, Wish.  I have their crank radio-version, and it's been a solid performer.

Eton Elite Field AM/FM/Shortwave Desktop Radio with Bluetooth

https://www.amazon.com/Eton-Elite-Shortwave-Desktop-Bluetooth/dp/B07T6LK1X2/ref=pd_lpo_23_t_0/147-9901198-4084756?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07T6LK1X2&pd_rd_r=24470b42-edab-457e-9059-74e40de3b82c&pd_rd_w=7VqNA&pd_rd_wg=18oNu&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=9GJHR5KXHPQJR7DC14PC&refRID=9GJHR5KXHPQJR7DC14PC&th=1

AM/FM SHORTWAVE RADIO: With high sensitivity, strong anti-interference, low background noise, & even lower distortion, this Bluetooth ready AM/FM/shortwave radio delivers excellent audio quality.

FINE TUNING: This radio features an LCD display with coarse/fine digital tuning, treble/bass control & 50 memory stations. It's Bluetooth ready so you can stream your own music or favorite podcast.RF gain control

VERSATILE RECEIVER: This radio includes a line-in/line-out & headphone jacks, plus an FM telescopic antenna & external AM/FM/shortwave antenna connections. Plus it comes with a handy carrying strap!

CONTINUING A LEGACY: For more than 30 years we've combined the best of old world analog electronics with the efficiency of modern day circuits & systems. Custom designed accessories like stitched satchels & pouches round out the Eton experience.

ETON'S COMMITMENT TO INFORMATION: We're committed to helping you stay entertained with access to the latest news, music & information. Whether you're listening to a local radio station or signals from a faraway land, make Eton’s radios your go-to source.

They have other models with more SW bands, etc.

Amazon.com: Eton Field AM / FM / Shortwave Radio with RDS, NGWFB ...

I didnt realize Eaton was Grundig.  I have always heard great things about Grundig.  This radio actually reads like it is what I am after.  I dont care about the bluetooth, but the external antenna jacks are high on my list.  Does that big knob let you tune manually in addition to scanning for stations?  Have you used this radio yourself?  Price is a little steep but not out of line for what I am looking for if the quality is superior.  I am so tired of low end consumer performance.  Where I live it is difficult to get a signal so this is sounding like a winner so far.  Appreciate the recommendation.

Looks like it will run a 4 "D" or 4 "AA" batteries also which is a feature I want.  What I have not been able to discern is if it comes with a 120VAC plug also?  Prefer to run on AC most of the time, but do want the battery option also.  Reading the reviews etc I am not able to figure out the actual power options?  Do you know if it comes with an AC adaptor and which battery option it actually has?  The reviews and questions seem to contradict themselves.

Thanks,

John

In all likelihood stations who carry talk radio programs can also be found on the internet.

Posted (edited)

You're not likely to find an AM/FM radio of that type that includes police/HAM bands (unless the price is no object to you). Police radios now are almost universally digital, which means that even if you have a scanner that works on that frequency, you won't hear the broadcasts unless it's a digital receiver (not just digital tuning). It also probably will not enable you to listen to most HAM HF band conversations unless it can also receive CW or upper/lower sideband.

I just noticed the Eton Elite Executive, which includes aircraft and SSB, so it will cover some of the bases.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NOSCN0/ref=sspa_dk_hqp_detail_aax_0?psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUlhYQVY4RlRNNENOJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODk0MzI0M0kwT0lRU1FFSlZMJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2ODczMjMxN1FCS1RaRTVKVUo1JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfaHFwX3NoYXJlZCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Edited by olfart

Boy am I not one for this one.  Have a tub of radios I bought over the years, top brands with all sorts of power sources. 

Best AM I have I picked up on a whim for like $11 on sale.  A AA hand crank, damn cheap thing runs like an hour on one cranking.  Blew my expensive ones away.  Hands down best reception I have an old Radio Shack analog tunner AM/FM. SW LW, with side band.  Takes forever to find what you want but can pick up stations the other side of the country in AM.  Its my designated EOTWAWKI radio.  Best sound, Bose, expensive but wow. 

Best I can advise is features I like, multiple power sources including no battery options like solar or crank (got one with both), external antenna option where you can just run some wire to increase antenna reception, and most important a very good tuner that allows you to separate signals which sorry to say is analog not digital.  All digital rely on signal strength and will skip over a lot of signals. 

Another comment, SW is not what it use to be.  May pick up again some EOTWAWKI long term scenario but not like 30 years ago when there were channels everywhere.  Cold war, radios were fun.  In an emergency, you want what's happening in your area anyway. 

Sorry I can't be more help.  I often wonder when you reach a certain point of having too many of something, what's best becomes somewhat rhetorical.  I have so many guns, I couldn't begin to tell you what is the best gun.  

Tj

14 hours ago, Zephyr One/Zero said:

Amazon also has the Voyager-series of crank-radios with NOAA channel, and solar-power.  Have no experience with them but they have over 4,000 positive reviews.  Five different case colors.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003A21DQA/ref=twister_B00E0ISVLI?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Kaito KA500 5-way Powered Solar Power,Dynamo Crank, Wind Up Emergency AM/FM/SW/NOAA Weather Alert Radio with Flashlight,Reading Lamp and Cellphone Charger

Kaito KA500 5-Way Powered AM/FM/NOAA Weather Radio (Yellow ...

6-way powered portable emergency radio with hand crank generator, solar panel, compartment for 3 AA batteries (not included), 5V USB input, 5V AC/DC input with a wall power adapter (sold separately), built-in NiMH replaceable and rechargeable battery pack

Comprehensive coverage of AM, FM, 2-band shortwave and 7 pre-programmed NOAA weather channels for entertainment, sports, talk-shows, breaking news around the world, and 24/7 real-time weather forecast (USA and Canada ONLY) with PEAS (Public Emergency Alert System)

Works as an emergency mobile battery charger with built-in standard DC 5V USB output port for charging mobile devices, such as smart phones, GPS units, MP3 players, digital cameras, and etc. Other features include a 5-LED reading lamp, LED flashlight and a red LED S.O.S. beacon light

Telescopic antenna extends up to 14.5" for high sensitivity reception assisted by advanced semiconductor circuitry design and LED signal strength indicator for pin-point tuning accuracy, and built-in speaker delivers loud and crispy sound

Made of strong premium impact-resistant and water-resistant ABS material, suitable for both indoors home/office use and outdoors recreational activities

Bought the Wife one of those in Green and it WORKS GREAT , she uses it outside while gardening and listening to Rush & Hanity .  :thumb:

13 hours ago, wish2no said:

I didnt realize Eaton was Grundig.  I have always heard great things about Grundig.  This radio actually reads like it is what I am after.  I dont care about the bluetooth, but the external antenna jacks are high on my list.  Does that big knob let you tune manually in addition to scanning for stations?  Have you used this radio yourself?  Price is a little steep but not out of line for what I am looking for if the quality is superior.  I am so tired of low end consumer performance.  Where I live it is difficult to get a signal so this is sounding like a winner so far.  Appreciate the recommendation.

Looks like it will run a 4 "D" or 4 "AA" batteries also which is a feature I want.  What I have not been able to discern is if it comes with a 120VAC plug also?  Prefer to run on AC most of the time, but do want the battery option also.  Reading the reviews etc I am not able to figure out the actual power options?  Do you know if it comes with an AC adaptor and which battery option it actually has?  The reviews and questions seem to contradict themselves.

Thanks,

John

According to the blurb near the bottom of this page: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K2LQAZ0/ It runs on wall power or batteries. It's also only $100 at that AMZ link.

Also, the tunning knob is clicky (we call them encoders) and moves the dial in 10khz increments. So it's not "fuzzy" like trying to do an analog tuner.

Posted (edited)

It doesn't come with an AC power cord.  You have to buy one for $18.49 at Amazon too.  So radio, and adapter together are about $150 bucks out-the-door.

https://www.amazon.com/POWER-Compatible-S-450-DLX-Shortwave-Switching/dp/B077PFP2V7

Edited by Zephyr One/Zero

7 minutes ago, Zephyr One/Zero said:

It doesn't come with an AC power cord.  You have to buy one for $18.49 at Amazon too.  So radio, and adapter together are about $150 bucks out-the-door.

https://www.amazon.com/POWER-Compatible-S-450-DLX-Shortwave-Switching/dp/B077PFP2V7

Or this power adapter for ~$11.00. Combine that with the seller link I posted above you and the thing is about $112 plus tax.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018F3WS9Y/

On 8/12/2020 at 9:18 AM, TomJefferson said:

Boy am I not one for this one.  Have a tub of radios I bought over the years, top brands with all sorts of power sources. 

Best AM I have I picked up on a whim for like $11 on sale.  A AA hand crank, damn cheap thing runs like an hour on one cranking.  Blew my expensive ones away.  Hands down best reception I have an old Radio Shack analog tunner AM/FM. SW LW, with side band.  Takes forever to find what you want but can pick up stations the other side of the country in AM.  Its my designated EOTWAWKI radio.  Best sound, Bose, expensive but wow. 

Best I can advise is features I like, multiple power sources including no battery options like solar or crank (got one with both), external antenna option where you can just run some wire to increase antenna reception, and most important a very good tuner that allows you to separate signals which sorry to say is analog not digital.  All digital rely on signal strength and will skip over a lot of signals. 

Another comment, SW is not what it use to be.  May pick up again some EOTWAWKI long term scenario but not like 30 years ago when there were channels everywhere.  Cold war, radios were fun.  In an emergency, you want what's happening in your area anyway. 

Sorry I can't be more help.  I often wonder when you reach a certain point of having too many of something, what's best becomes somewhat rhetorical.  I have so many guns, I couldn't begin to tell you what is the best gun.  

Tj

Radio Shack used to sell some good  AM/FM/SW radios. I'm pretty sure Eton/Grundig were making some of them for the Shack. My boyhood analog model finally bit the dust so I picked one up more than a couple of decades ago with a digital tuner. I used it everyday at work for the past 15 years, and except for a battery door held on by a piece of packing tape, it works fine.  IIRC, I got it on sale for about 40 bucks, which would be consistent with the 100+ with more features and inflation.  It would be nice to try a new one, but can't find an excuse combined with the weather radio. 

Yes, you can pick up stuff all over the world (translator not included)   Missionaries really seem to like shortwave broadcasting, and a good number are in English.  

My crank up AM/FM/Weather radio is an inexpensive Eaton but it seems to work just fine. 

Looks good.  IO am always skeptical of "small" things.  In todays age and technology this is likely a bad attitude.  I will do some more reserch on this.  Although NOT a licensed shortwave person, I am now  considering something that allows both receiving and broadcasting.  Not sure the price differences, but in todays climate, even though the extremely remote possibility of ever making a broadcast, I am wondering the benefits of the price difference between units.  I know this is apples and oranges, but considering the $$ invested, I think of the buy once cry once proposition.

I got a green one....AM/FM/HAM...took it all over the world, would tune in to BBC and VOA for news and propaganda, learned that trick when having tea in Saudi once with some British SAS dudes....and then went out and got one......

Need to dig it out and see what it is.......

It wouldn't take much for you to become licensed, and then you can talk when and where you please.

• Like 1