Sign in to follow this  
wish2no

Window washing secrets?

My house is VERY tall with a small footprint.  On the side of a steep hill/cliff.  Hence, Not easy to reach or be motivated to wash the windows.  A death defying act each time.

I am spending more time inside and really enjoy the view... the benefit of the dilemma, and realize how much more beautiful things would be if not looking through dirty, stained, windows.  Inside, except for a couple are manageable, but I have a huge picture window perhaps 35 feet high, and then a steep bank with very small ledge almost directly below I can work from precariously to clean.  But, between the reach and being able to apply any scrubber or squeege pressure to the window, literally none, how do you clean? 

When I worked at the UNiv. they used some huge pole with treated water going through it then some other pressurized gas injected to help stop streaking.  What does a homeowner do wo cannot afford to have such a service come out and clean?  If it were a once every other year thing it might be worthwhile, but just to get someone to come out to my place, it is very remote, costs almost $200.00 just to have someone show up to do the work, then the work is on top of that. 

I AM ABle to get the hose to spray a stream of water that reaches the top of the window, but no pole or scrubbing possible within my means.  I used to see some products made to spray a "foam" onto the window giving it a chance to do a bit of soaking, then supposed to rinse off without streaks.  Well, it did a maybe 35% job.  Got the dust and minir stuff off, but never really clean.

Anyone have any home secrets or recommendations for commercial products that may work without hurting the cedar house siding?

I have in the back of my mind the idea of finding a way to spray TSP or even muratic acid (?) onto the window out of desperation, but not reached that point yet.  Plus, scrubbing seems to be my downfall, I need something that is going to dissolve aged water and mioneral residue with out scrubbing and let me rinse off with just a water spray from a hose. 

I know this is asking a lot.  I have done a lot of searching but just not found anything that seems to actually work.  The minimal cleaning is indeed beneficial, and perhaps multiple applications over time may be the answer.  But that is tedious and in my case dangerous.

Any miracle answers out there?

OK.  I am anal retentive.  Either the window is CLEAN, or not.  A streak here or there, not acceptable.  BUT, I DISCOVERED A MIRICLE SOLUTION that has worked on the windows within reach.  I am so pleased!

Keep in mind, I AM LAZY, and HATE washing windows.  Easy is good.  With 2 torn rotator cuffs, anything that makes it easy on my shoulders is a godsend.

So, just do a quick easy window wash with whatever window cleaner you have.  If you have hard water stains use some CLR or muratic acid (CAREFULLY), the muratic acid for worse case situations.USE MURIATIC ACID WITH EXTREME CAUTION.  Watch your skin and EYES, and if in an enclosed area be sure to have good ventilation.  But, very likely you will not need this unless you have nt washed your windows for 10 years and have had generalized well water spraying on them since.  But I digress.  Use common sense and be safe.  This is one of the best shower door cleaners I have ever used.

ON TO THE EASY PROCESS...

After a quick everyday, low labor wash and wipe, give the window another spray with your window washer, I like vinegar based washes, in fact, just use distilled vinegar.  Cheap and easy.  Nest, spray again and let soak without drying.  If you want, add more vinegar and water.  Then squeegee.  After using the squeege wipe with an old T-shirt.

BUT--YOU THINK YOUR WINDOW IS CLEAN NOW!!!  I lost treasured old cat a while back.  I had bought basically cat diapers, or cat pee pads.  Had several left over.  These things have a texture, abrasiveness and astounding amount of ABSORPTION.  Holy cat!  After the above, very light, easy, lazy ass cleanings to loosen things up, I just did a light spritz with the vinegar water, another quick squeegee and then used the cat diaper-pee pad to remove.  I cant see my window!  It is so unbelievable clean and clear.

The cat pads are not at all expensive when you realize how many uses you can get out of them.  And, so easy!  Bonus, if unfortunately you have some, it is a great wat to put them to use.

I found that WD 40 takes out soap scum and hard water streaks! I use it on the shower door - works great! Rinse off with a little soapy water; Use a rag to do the final run across the glass to prevent streaks, 

WD 40 is a lot safer than Muratic Acid! 

Posted (edited)

On 8/18/2020 at 10:10 PM, wish2no said:

OK.  I am anal retentive.  Either the window is CLEAN, or not.  A streak here or there, not acceptable.  BUT, I DISCOVERED A MIRICLE SOLUTION that has worked on the windows within reach.  I am so pleased!

Keep in mind, I AM LAZY, and HATE washing windows.  Easy is good.  With 2 torn rotator cuffs, anything that makes it easy on my shoulders is a godsend.

So, just do a quick easy window wash with whatever window cleaner you have.  If you have hard water stains use some CLR or muratic acid (CAREFULLY), the muratic acid for worse case situations.USE MURIATIC ACID WITH EXTREME CAUTION.  Watch your skin and EYES, and if in an enclosed area be sure to have good ventilation.  But, very likely you will not need this unless you have nt washed your windows for 10 years and have had generalized well water spraying on them since.  But I digress.  Use common sense and be safe.  This is one of the best shower door cleaners I have ever used.

ON TO THE EASY PROCESS...

After a quick everyday, low labor wash and wipe, give the window another spray with your window washer, I like vinegar based washes, in fact, just use distilled vinegar.  Cheap and easy.  Nest, spray again and let soak without drying.  If you want, add more vinegar and water.  Then squeegee.  After using the squeege wipe with an old T-shirt.

BUT--YOU THINK YOUR WINDOW IS CLEAN NOW!!!  I lost treasured old cat a while back.  I had bought basically cat diapers, or cat pee pads.  Had several left over.  These things have a texture, abrasiveness and astounding amount of ABSORPTION.  Holy cat!  After the above, very light, easy, lazy ass cleanings to loosen things up, I just did a light spritz with the vinegar water, another quick squeegee and then used the cat diaper-pee pad to remove.  I cant see my window!  It is so unbelievable clean and clear.

The cat pads are not at all expensive when you realize how many uses you can get out of them.  And, so easy!  Bonus, if unfortunately you have some, it is a great wat to put them to use.

Wash windows without Pane :segrin: OK Pain then . Seriously  phosphoric acid    works BEST with Dawn or Lemishine dish washing detergent . You can even use CLR.

Test portions on lower easy access window ,small amounts into water gradually adding more until YOU like it .  A Long handled ( Buy extensions )  Power pressure washer should be in YOUR IMMEDIATE  FUTURE !.  After washing rinse with clean water and Automatic dish washing spot free rinse . Piss on that scrubbing and streaking windows nonsense . I use Cascade  but Finish Jet Dry is even Better , so I'm told .

https://www.amazon.com/pcr/Top-Rated-Dishwasher-Rinse-Aids-Reviews/17419395011

https://clrbrands.com/Products/CLR-Household/CLR-Calcium-Lime-Rust-Remover

https://lemishine.com/products/detergent_booster/

Wish  FYI :

When We moved into our house ,the previous owners allowed the  lawn sprinklers ,to water on East Sun Facing side windows  and they were nearly opaque ,from calcium and manganese mineral spotting . My Wife got out a ladder and window cleaner  went to town on them . Sadly She DIDN'T ask Me before hand ,she just did it  and there was NO difference . Not only was she pissed off ,especially after I went out and sprayed the windows , once the Sun was on the other side of the house ; with Phosphoric acid  water and 1/4 cup of citranox   . Let it set about 20 minutes sprayed them again and 15 minutes later rinsed them . Looks like they came out of the dish washer :segrin: I screwed MYSELF good though , NOW I'm the WINDOW WASHER :tap:

Edited by BushXM15

No good deed goes unpunished, you must break a plate or cup if washing dishes and never, ever do a good job washing anything. I know, because........

So, that is the idea, but, washing windows is my job, do not know how this happened, it just did.

Long story short, be careful with phosphoric, especially right around your house. It kills brush, any and all brush, better than Roundup. Do not ask......it was the hard way and it was ugly.

3 hours ago, Recondo 101 said:

No good deed goes unpunished, you must break a plate or cup if washing dishes and never, ever do a good job washing anything. I know, because........

So, that is the idea, but, washing windows is my job, do not know how this happened, it just did.

Long story short, be careful with phosphoric, especially right around your house. It kills brush, any and all brush, better than Roundup. Do not ask......it was the hard way and it was ugly.

Yes acidic products will do just that , as acid changes PH levels in the soil as well as disrupts photosynthesis if allowed to contact plant . visqueen sheeting will prevent shrub damage but baking soda and lots of water will ensure soil level remains near what it was . 

On 8/22/2020 at 3:09 PM, BushXM15 said:

Wash windows without Pane :segrin: OK Pain then . Seriously  phosphoric acid    works BEST with Dawn or Lemishine dish washing detergent . You can even use CLR.

Test portions on lower easy access window ,small amounts into water gradually adding more until YOU like it .  A Long handled ( Buy extensions )  Power pressure washer should be in YOUR IMMEDIATE  FUTURE !.  After washing rinse with clean water and Automatic dish washing spot free rinse . Piss on that scrubbing and streaking windows nonsense . I use Cascade  but Finish Jet Dry is even Better , so I'm told .

https://www.amazon.com/pcr/Top-Rated-Dishwasher-Rinse-Aids-Reviews/17419395011

https://clrbrands.com/Products/CLR-Household/CLR-Calcium-Lime-Rust-Remover

https://lemishine.com/products/detergent_booster/

Wish  FYI :

When We moved into our house ,the previous owners allowed the  lawn sprinklers ,to water on East Sun Facing side windows  and they were nearly opaque ,from calcium and manganese mineral spotting . My Wife got out a ladder and window cleaner  went to town on them . Sadly She DIDN'T ask Me before hand ,she just did it  and there was NO difference . Not only was she pissed off ,especially after I went out and sprayed the windows , once the Sun was on the other side of the house ; with Phosphoric acid  water and 1/4 cup of citranox   . Let it set about 20 minutes sprayed them again and 15 minutes later rinsed them . Looks like they came out of the dish washer :segrin: I screwed MYSELF good though , NOW I'm the WINDOW WASHER :tap:

I dont have to worrk about plants close to the houe, have them all cut back a good couple fo feet.  Went the CLR route and find it works great fir mild stains.  A good wash, rinse, squeegie, then apply like a Car wax like McGuires with water repelling tenancy and add some isopropohol alcohol to it ti to make it dry quicker.  Not perfect, but much better.  And, think I mentioned I had some "pet diapers", super absorbant, really work well for the windows within reach.