Sign in to follow this  
BushXM15

OK Computer ,Electronics Sherlock Homes Mystery

Posted (edited)

The Sherlock Homes hour of electronic mystery  now begins :  

Bush : Finially  broke down and purchased a New Epson scanner a V600 model ( Hard to come by , waited a while to locate one ) it arrived undamaged  . The previous one DIDN'T !!.

OK ; So USB 2.0  hook up , Power 100-240 AC/ 14 VDC converter . MY computer is a small form factor Dell  with  Intel I core 7, 4.2GHz    16GB 2X8GB DDR4  2933MHz , with a  NVIDA RTX5000 Graphics card  Win 10 Pro OS . This is essentially a High End Workstation  CAD setup . I NO Game and never have . Oh  the monitor is a Samsung U28E590D 28-Inch 4k UHD LED-Lit Monitor . MY New computer has dual SSD'S solid state drives and has  Been firing on all 16 cylinders  since Jan 2020  ,NO problems what so ever .

Bush has everything plugged into protected power strips  and have #3 separate multi receptacle   power strips on separate circuits to boot .

So Here goes the problem : Easy Peasy used to say Japanesee  now Chinesee  Flat bed scanner and software install ; Simple right .  :tap: NOT quite so simple !!!!!!!!!!.

I turn off the Computer shut down sound system , then rearrange peripherals printers and MY Slave box with  additional RAID  SATA disc's piggy'd  through OLD Win 7 Computer .

OK So Bush hooks everything up and gets ready to install software . NO F ING Monitor :CONFUS12: CPU is ON All other peripherals  are GOOD . What happened ??.

Bush isn't easily defeated , I check connections plugs adapters  , I break out the ohm /volt meter  I even pull the Monitor power converter and check voltage on it ,then change it as I have a Brand New one that Samsung had sent ME .  NOTHING  NO MONITOR . I pulled power cords and plugged them into different power strips ,all the while testing voltages

OK Sherlock's   BUSH aka Watson figured it out  :ohmy:                          NOW CAN YOU ?

Edited by BushXM15

Ya gotta say Hocus Pocus..:segrin:

29 minutes ago, Snake46 said:

Ya gotta say Hocus Pocus..:segrin:

That wasn't what I said and I can't even begin to tell You what I really said  ,too many expletives as the Unit is Black  You can guess :cussing:

Anyway it turned out to be a BAD 120 V receptacle on the power supply and Here's the Pisser ; It was the same receptacle it had been plugged into the entire time !!!!!! :cussing:

An as that power supply is attached to MY computer desk , I did unplug all of the devices and plug them into another power strip to check voltages and ALL were FINE !.

As a last resort  , I crawled under the computer desk and used the volt meter , BINGO Bad Hole . My Wife thought I'd cut MY finger off  ,as she came running down the stairs while I was swearing like a banshee . 2 Hours of swapping cords power supplies HDMI cables and all for a Freaking Stinking BAD electrical receptacle !!!!! :angry: