towtruck

Simple she says....

"Just dig around the bottom of the stump and cut it off." 

The tree I cut down earlier still has 4' of trunk and the stump in the ground. I tried a month ago to knock it out of the ground with the Cat but that root ball is tight. Today the wife cleaned up the last of the branches and wanted the stump gone and the area cleaned up so she could walk around it. It's kinda a mess as it's near the creek. The tree is next to another living tree and the ground is humped up around the two trees. Some one years ago buried a bunch of broken concrete in that spot. I have ran into pieces for years digging around and mowing. 

So I get the Kubota out and start digging around the base of the stump to remove dirt to get lower on the stump. I immediately hit concrete. I ended up digging up over a ton of concrete chunks with my little tractor. The tree had grown around some of them. I dug down 2' on one side and tried to dig on the other but ran into some concrete the little tractor would not budge. I fired up the Cat and worked  around on the stump and base some more. I tried again the loosen the stump but only ended up knocking off the one rotten sides of the trunk. The roots are still tight. 

The next step will be to hand dig around the base as low as I can get and take a chain saw across the bottom. I'm going to dig through my saw chains and find the oldest one I have and use it....I know there is no way I'm going to make that cut without hitting concrete or a rock.....

easy she says........once she saw the 8400 pound cat pushing on that trunk and nothing moving she changed her tune....

This is the side I dug down 2'. I back filled most of it once I got the concrete away from the stump.

DR16vj1.jpg

The front of the oak tree ,where the red shovel is, is one of my pet cemeteries. I have buried at least six cats and two dogs there...the ground is super easy to dig in....get around to where the pile of dirt is and it's a different story with all the rip rap.

This is the other side....lots more concrete........I took over a foot out of this side..

1AKHYFE.jpg

And this is the piece I managed to break off.....

i28sf7Y.jpg

It's done.....a few minutes hand digging then a chainsaw to the bottom and it's out of there. Three hours on the tractor and it's all leveled off and all the rip rap is in the pile. I had to bring in over a yard of fill dirt (composted horse poop) to get enough dirt to replace all the concrete I pulled out. I have it smooth enough to mow over with the belly mower and that is what we were after. 

I was able to cut 90% of the way through the stump and I got lucky to not hit any rocks. I got the chain in the dirt and that dulled the chain but it still cuts. I used the winch on the Jeep to snap the rest off and pull the stump out of the way.  I could not pick the stump up with the tractor so I used it to roll it over out of the way....I'll have to cut it in half to load it in my trailer. 

Tomorrow I will tackle fixing the flail mower and try it out mowing around where I was working today.......so much for relaxing on my vacation.......:sweating:

• Like 1

Shovel  what the hell is that :run:       I don't work well with that implement , damn thing stabs ME in the Back every time !!!.

Now  a Tractor , Loader ,Dozer ,Excavator, Backhoe, Trencher, I speak that language  :thumb:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BushXM15 said:

Shovel  what the hell is that :run:       I don't work well with that implement , damn thing stabs ME in the Back every time !!!.

Now  a Tractor , Loader ,Dozer ,Excavator, Backhoe, Trencher, I speak that language  :thumb:

I'm good for 20 minutes in the heat on a shovel and good for 5 hours on a tractor......the worst part was the chain saw.....I used my old 7-10 with side discharge exhaust the normally blows downward. It has no handle on the right so you can get right down a dirt level to cut sideways....That exhaust blowing on my leg almost caught my pants on fire. I kept having to reposition to keep from burning. A little backhoe would have been handy to have for this job. I could have pecked around the stump better.....but my old Cat and the baby Kubota did the trick. 

• Like 1

Rough job.  I remember when I worked and was younger; after a vacation, I had to go back to work to rest.

• Like 1

Dynamite would fixed it quick

• Like 1

I got the rip rap stacked up on the ditch bank before I died of heat stroke. I need to straighten out the right half next but those are bigger pieces so I may not get them to look like the left side.

LwJZCxX.jpg

You are a madman.........:ROFLLMAO::segrin:

10 minutes ago, Rampy said:

You are a madman.........:ROFLLMAO::segrin:

This is me on vacation...you should see me work  :bellylaf:

5 minutes ago, towtruck said:

I'm so sorry :screwloose::laugh:

At the VA today.....they scheduled me for a "new" hearing appointment to replace my old hearing aids......something about how they have exceeded the expected life & need a "new" hearing test so they can order new ones.....

Going to ask for the kind that do not take batteries, but are rechargeable and blue tooth to the iPhone as well as will connect to the TV.......Have a bro who is a cop out east and the VA got him hearing aids that he can directly hook to his department issued radio & don't take battried, but are rechargeable and he's worn them for a 20 hour riot shift & they were still going strong.....

1 hour ago, Rampy said:

I'm so sorry :screwloose::laugh:

At the VA today.....they scheduled me for a "new" hearing appointment to replace my old hearing aids......something about how they have exceeded the expected life & need a "new" hearing test so they can order new ones.....

Going to ask for the kind that do not take batteries, but are rechargeable and blue tooth to the iPhone as well as will connect to the TV.......Have a bro who is a cop out east and the VA got him hearing aids that he can directly hook to his department issued radio & don't take battried, but are rechargeable and he's worn them for a 20 hour riot shift & they were still going strong.....

That is what I have and they have never run down more than a third power in 15-16 hour day. Drop them in the charger and away you go. The charger is a battery too and will charge the aides four times without being plugged in. The blue tooth for the phone is awesome. Being able to adjust them with the phone is great except I am not one that packs my phone like a pacifier.   I can set mine up for areas....save the setting and whenever you are in that area they adjust automatically to that saved setting. 

The only place I have to turn mine down is at home. My house is loud with no carpet to absorb sounds. My wife has a big voice but it's dishes clanking and other sounds that have me running to turn them down. I was just not wearing them at home but now I wear them and turn them way down so if I leave the house I can bump them up instead of getting to the store and realizing I don't have them in. 

ReSound Lynx Quatro are what I have currently. My deaf friend loaned me her Mini Mic and that was cool. I could place it by the TV and hear it perfectly with the volume down low. I want to try it when I teach. I want to leave it in the back of the room and see if it picks up the people talking in the back so I can hear them. 

Taking phone calls you still have to speak into your phone so they can hear but you hear everything through the aides. It rings in your head when in silent mode. people think I'm faking a phone call as I walk around talking into my phone but they don't see anything in my ears or hear the caller. I can play music from my phone right into my ears and nobody knows....I do it at work when I don't want to hear the whining and crying in the room :bellylaf:

My friend has one dead ear and one that a super powerful hearing aide works for her. She got a Cochlear implant in her dead ear and that made a world of difference. You would never know she is deaf and her hearing is better than mine now.  She hated it at first as she could hear too much stuff she did not need to hear :laugh:  once her brain got used to hearing things she does not mind it now. 

• Like 1

Will have to ask about that brand/model also, sound excellent  :tiphat:

20 hours ago, towtruck said:

Tell us the secret of your seemingly boundless energy, please.                        :holycow:

You are a better man than I,  Gunga Din, but then I have told you 

that before.  

I knew I should have joined the Military straight out of high school.

I could have earned me some hearing aides.  

5 hours ago, Retcop said:

Tell us the secret of your seemingly boundless energy, please.                        :holycow:

that before.  

ADHD with OCD

• Haha 1

On 9/2/2020 at 5:56 AM, Mack68 said:

Dynamite would fixed it quick

Stumpin' sticks for the win!!

6 hours ago, Retcop said:

that before.  

Clearly his wife is working hard at working him to death.