towtruck

Simple she says....

TT : Next time : That could have been accomplished with  1/4 of the amount of charge they used !

• Haha 1

Neighbors would love that!

I have some new neighbors about 150 yards away and they learned (hopefully) a valuable lesson this morning........they shot a skunk, twice. It only took about 10 minutes for the smell to drift my way.   I'm sure they are rethinking their decision to blast him in their own yard.  

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, towtruck said:

ADHD with OCD

Maybe you can tell me how to get my wife, who has one of the worst cases of OCD I have ever witnessed, to switch the focus of her OCD back to homemaking, instead of becoming a freelance butterfly/caterpillar entomologist, who will spend the entire day looking for the eggs, larvae, caterpillars, and chrysalises of not only Monarchs, but about 4 other species of butterflies.

She is creating her own spice bush, pawpaw, and sassafras bucket forest, and keeps track of the caterpillars so that she can put them in one of her many bug boxes, so the caterpillars are safe from these wasps who lay their eggs in them and kill them. Of course, she is using old fabric net travel hampers to cover the plants the caterpillars are eating to protect them from predators...She came in the other day soaked to the bone with sweat after spending most of the day outside, declaring she was officially "a crazy old cat lady."  I did not make the connection immediately,  so she said "cat" was short for caterpillar.

HarHarHar. 

She can now name the winged butterfly or moth that will come from any caterpillar she sees. She spends so much time in the woods, she discovered a very large, rare, and bizarre looking caterpillar that gorges itself all year, and then in the Fall, seals itself inside a rolled up leaf with it's silk, but does not hatch until the next Spring, when the adult moths don't eat, but hatch all at once mate, lay their eggs, and die, starting the year long over wintering process again. She also requisitioned one of my new extra aquariums to collect and breed grasshoppers as a food for my daughter's chickens, since the mealworm farm I set up for them in an old tank of mine is not producing enough in wintertime, so she says. I don't believe they are harvesting the mealworms properly, and are letting too many turn into the beetle stage.  Anyway...

Since you are a fellow sufferer of OCD, what can I do to redirect the focus of her OCD, besides putting her over my knee and spanking her ?  (That never works anyway, she always manages to change the subject) 

Any ideas for changing the target of the OCD in such a disabled individual ?      Thanks

Sincerely,

John

BTW: She finally accomplished ruining her 400 buck Canon digital zoom camera by carrying it out in the rain on her bug and bird quests. ("But it's only drizzling" she says, also leaving it sit out in 95 degree heat and 95% humidity all day so the lens does not fog up when she brings it from indoors to outside. I have been warning her for months she is ruining the camera but the OCD Force to have pics and videos of what she finds is too great.  

Plus she was out in the woods 2 days ago with her head in the brush when she spotted a fawn. Then she spotted Momma deer. She refuses to carry and she is going to get turned into hamburger by one of these grumpy does.  Wife says, I just say the same thing "grandma is not gonna hurt your baby", and then she slowly moves away.. GRRR...I have had to call her in from around the tallest trees on the tallest hill in a thunderstorm while she has been looking for little tiny eggs, or an "escaped" caterpillar.    Help !  Just so you know, it was a kinda joke... but for real, when the kids were young and living at home, you never asked Momma where anything you lost was, because everything else would stop until the item was found. It mattered not how long it took, or whether the item was easily replaced with another, or if a substitute was found.  

35 minutes ago, Retcop said:

Maybe you can tell me how to get my wife, who has one of the worst cases of OCD I have ever witnessed, to switch the focus of her OCD back to homemaking, instead of becoming a freelance butterfly/caterpillar entomologist, who will spend the entire day looking for the eggs, larvae, caterpillars, and chrysalises of not only Monarchs, but about 4 other species of butterflies.

She is creating her own spice bush, pawpaw, and sassafras bucket forest, and keeps track of the caterpillars so that she can put them in one of her many bug boxes, so the caterpillars are safe from these wasps who lay their eggs in them and kill them. Of course, she is using old fabric net travel hampers to cover the plants the caterpillars are eating to protect them from predators...She came in the other day soaked to the bone with sweat after spending most of the day outside, declaring she was officially "a crazy old cat lady."  I did not make the connection immediately,  so she said "cat" was short for caterpillar.

HarHarHar. 

She can now name the winged butterfly or moth that will come from any caterpillar she sees. She spends so much time in the woods, she discovered a very large, rare, and bizarre looking caterpillar that gorges itself all year, and then in the Fall, seals itself inside a rolled up leaf with it's silk, but does not hatch until the next Spring, when the adult moths don't eat, but hatch all at once mate, lay their eggs, and die, starting the year long over wintering process again. She also requisitioned one of my new extra aquariums to collect and breed grasshoppers as a food for my daughter's chickens, since the mealworm farm I set up for them in an old tank of mine is not producing enough in wintertime, so she says. I don't believe they are harvesting the mealworms properly, and are letting too many turn into the beetle stage.  Anyway...

Since you are a fellow sufferer of OCD, what can I do to redirect the focus of her OCD, besides putting her over my knee and spanking her ?  (That never works anyway, she always manages to change the subject) 

Any ideas for changing the target of the OCD in such a disabled individual ?      Thanks

Sincerely,

John

BTW: She finally accomplished ruining her 400 buck Canon digital zoom camera by carrying it out in the rain on her bug and bird quests. ("But it's only drizzling" she says, also leaving it sit out in 95 degree heat and 95% humidity all day so the lens does not fog up when she brings it from indoors to outside. I have been warning her for months she is ruining the camera but the OCD Force to have pics and videos of what she finds is too great.  

Plus she was out in the woods 2 days ago with her head in the brush when she spotted a fawn. Then she spotted Momma deer. She refuses to carry and she is going to get turned into hamburger by one of these grumpy does.  Wife says, I just say the same thing "grandma is not gonna hurt your baby", and then she slowly moves away.. GRRR...I have had to call her in from around the tallest trees on the tallest hill in a thunderstorm while she has been looking for little tiny eggs, or an "escaped" caterpillar.    Help !  Just so you know, it was a kinda joke... but for real, when the kids were young and living at home, you never asked Momma where anything you lost was, because everything else would stop until the item was found. It mattered not how long it took, or whether the item was easily replaced with another, or if a substitute was found.  

Short answer...your screwed.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/2/2020 at 3:56 AM, Mack68 said:

Dynamite would fixed it quick

That's what I was thinking. Dupont used to make great stump and window removers.

10 hours ago, towtruck said:

Short answer...your screwed.

I wish.

She may be a crazy old "cat" lady, but she's my crazy old cat lady.     :flowers:

Especially combined with ADHD, I would have thought you would surely have had some life lessons on 

prioritizing and organizing these amazing powers...     :laugh:

4 hours ago, tommag said:

That's what I was thinking. Dupont used to make great stump and window removers.

Don't forget Dupont spinners for fishing.

4 hours ago, Retcop said:

I wish.

She may be a crazy old "cat" lady, but she's my crazy old cat lady.     :flowers:

Especially combined with ADHD, I would have thought you would surely have had some life lessons on 

prioritizing and organizing these amazing powers...     :laugh:

Long answer.......you cannot change what she is interested in. You may get short times frames of interest in other things but they will always go back. 

I run in 10 year cycles of interest but there is an underlying common theme in 80% of them, meaning whatever I'm doing at the time there is an 80% chance it's fixing or building something. I have a natural inclination to fix stuff or build what I need. 

Think back....what is your wife's interest cycle longevity?    That will give you an idea how long she will be in the current state of mind. 

Myself, I'm in a mode of getting rid of stuff I don't use anymore. Cars, tractors, stuff...stuff I collected over the years that I don't want to keep around anymore. I want to clean my place out and get rid of everything so it's easy to maintain. I'm tired of keeping 35 engines running, tired of keeping track of a hundred or more tires, dozens of batteries and such. I'm getting older and instead of hording stuff like my dad and grandfather did I want it all gone, Instead of adding more buildings to house junk I am clearing junk.....and by junk I mean good stuff that I don't use very often. Yesterday I gave away two tires with tubes that fit my military trailer. I swapped over to tubeless and hung on to the old tires because they had value and I might have needed them....those are gone now. This morning a gentleman is coming to buy my 50 year old riding lawn mower that has been in the family since new. I'm tired of maintaining it and I have a new tractor that replaced it. It's in my way and instead of spending money for another shed or barn it's gone. I have a motorcycle going up for sale today once the tractor is gone. I'm tired of moving it out of my way and I have not ridden it more than 15 minutes in the last year.....it needs to go. After that there is an endless amount of crap that just needs tossed. I have a shed full of engines and stuff....it all needs to be thinned out. it's hard to let go of stuff and it has taken small attempts over a few years to part with things. 

My goal is to clean my place out so when I'm old or if I need to move there is not a bunch of crap to move......I have moved so many family members crap after their death that I don't want to be like that.....my OCD is for once in my life taking over the ADHD......but it's hard when all the stuff I have is there for a reason...if I need something I usually have it. Just like fixing that flail mower...I had all the parts I needed because I save everything I might need someday. My buddy runs a metal shop and he tosses out scraps of metal that make me cringe....he cannot afford to store all the scraps and puts the cost into the project.....me, I see those scraps as gold. When I need a scrap of metal I look under my bench and there it is because I don't toss anything until it's too small to make anything out of it. 

Here is an example of my collection.....I have 300 pounds of nails in boxes. Everyone should have nails around right?......well I have 6  fifty pound boxes of them. I have 4-500 pounds of nuts and bolts..........boxes of hose and tubing. I keep all that stuff as it costs lots of money to go to the store and get. But at the same time I have things, things like 60 year old hedge clippers that work, portable B/W TV's, fish tanks, and a whole mess of other stuff that is too good to toss and never used by me......yards sales are not worth it for that kind of stuff as it's all old and you end up giving it away plus having to dig all that out at once, clean it up, and try to sell it takes more time than I want to dedicate to it anymore. I'm at a point where I still need some of the stuff as support for projects but want it all gone and out of my way. 

Changing the way I operate has been slow. I have been trying to focus on one or two things and only save stuff for those projects. My jeep, my current tractor, my BBQ, my shooting trailer.....everything else needs to go. 

Remember a few years ago we had a thread where I was challenged on if I had something? People would name and item, any item, and I would post a picture of one.....nobody stumped me. That was fun but at the same time I'm getting older and instead of collecting more it's time to let it all go. it's a change that has to occur naturally.  

24 minutes ago, towtruck said:

Long answer.......you cannot change what she is interested in. You may get short times frames of interest in other things but they will always go back. 

I run in 10 year cycles of interest but there is an underlying common theme in 80% of them, meaning whatever I'm doing at the time there is an 80% chance it's fixing or building something. I have a natural inclination to fix stuff or build what I need. 

Think back....what is your wife's interest cycle longevity?    That will give you an idea how long she will be in the current state of mind. 

Myself, I'm in a mode of getting rid of stuff I don't use anymore. Cars, tractors, stuff...stuff I collected over the years that I don't want to keep around anymore. I want to clean my place out and get rid of everything so it's easy to maintain. I'm tired of keeping 35 engines running, tired of keeping track of a hundred or more tires, dozens of batteries and such. I'm getting older and instead of hording stuff like my dad and grandfather did I want it all gone, Instead of adding more buildings to house junk I am clearing junk.....and by junk I mean good stuff that I don't use very often. Yesterday I gave away two tires with tubes that fit my military trailer. I swapped over to tubeless and hung on to the old tires because they had value and I might have needed them....those are gone now. This morning a gentleman is coming to buy my 50 year old riding lawn mower that has been in the family since new. I'm tired of maintaining it and I have a new tractor that replaced it. It's in my way and instead of spending money for another shed or barn it's gone. I have a motorcycle going up for sale today once the tractor is gone. I'm tired of moving it out of my way and I have not ridden it more than 15 minutes in the last year.....it needs to go. After that there is an endless amount of crap that just needs tossed. I have a shed full of engines and stuff....it all needs to be thinned out. it's hard to let go of stuff and it has taken small attempts over a few years to part with things. 

My goal is to clean my place out so when I'm old or if I need to move there is not a bunch of crap to move......I have moved so many family members crap after their death that I don't want to be like that.....my OCD is for once in my life taking over the ADHD......but it's hard when all the stuff I have is there for a reason...if I need something I usually have it. Just like fixing that flail mower...I had all the parts I needed because I save everything I might need someday. My buddy runs a metal shop and he tosses out scraps of metal that make me cringe....he cannot afford to store all the scraps and puts the cost into the project.....me, I see those scraps as gold. When I need a scrap of metal I look under my bench and there it is because I don't toss anything until it's too small to make anything out of it. 

Here is an example of my collection.....I have 300 pounds of nails in boxes. Everyone should have nails around right?......well I have 6  fifty pound boxes of them. I have 4-500 pounds of nuts and bolts..........boxes of hose and tubing. I keep all that stuff as it costs lots of money to go to the store and get. But at the same time I have things, things like 60 year old hedge clippers that work, portable B/W TV's, fish tanks, and a whole mess of other stuff that is too good to toss and never used by me......yards sales are not worth it for that kind of stuff as it's all old and you end up giving it away plus having to dig all that out at once, clean it up, and try to sell it takes more time than I want to dedicate to it anymore. I'm at a point where I still need some of the stuff as support for projects but want it all gone and out of my way. 

Changing the way I operate has been slow. I have been trying to focus on one or two things and only save stuff for those projects. My jeep, my current tractor, my BBQ, my shooting trailer.....everything else needs to go. 

Remember a few years ago we had a thread where I was challenged on if I had something? People would name and item, any item, and I would post a picture of one.....nobody stumped me. That was fun but at the same time I'm getting older and instead of collecting more it's time to let it all go. it's a change that has to occur naturally.  

I really appreciate the insight, TT.

This all started with a new camera and wildlife photography, she even entered a contest at the Wildlife Refuge. 

She soon took up the save the Monarchs cause, and then long hours taking wildlife photos turned into Monarch "rescue" and then all things butterflies and moths. I encouraged her, especially on the photography. With Fall and winter coming on, and a new camera needed, I am hoping things will shift back to photography.

She intends on become a "tagger" of Monarchs next year, so they can follow their migration pattern. 

There are a lot of things she is good at. 

Good job TT.  That's a hell of a lot of work!