GLShooter

NEW CONVERSION SET UP

I have a Ciener conversion for my AR/M16 that I love to play with. It was done up with a Ruger 10-22 barrel rechambered in 223. It is a real blast to shoot. Several years ago I swapped the upper out to use a DPMS thick wall target type that I traded some 30 Carbine brass for..  I just never did like the raised rail and it's bugged me from day one. 

I got to thinking at my age I wanted my cake and I wanted to eat it too.   Mulling this around I finally reached out and lined up Tactical Ordnance for some custom work. I looked around and found that Green Mountain had 1" 22 RF blanks so I got one of those dirt cheap and shipped it off to Tac Ord.  I emailed back and forth with the owner of Tactical Ammunition- TAC ORD and their top machinist. Matt, the machinist, did me up a 3-D rendering of the project. and we settled on an 18" threaded  0.750 profile with four nice long flutes in a machine finish.  He fitted the extension, chambered it out and had them laser the barrel for 22 LR. 

I could have just bought an aftermarket 22 conversion barrel but I like GM barrels and Matt's work is superb. I must say it came out quite nice. This was the second piece of the puzzle as I have already acquired a nice LW Aero upper with no FA or door for this one. I am now on teh hunt for an M-lok forend to complement the whole rig.

Here's what FedEx just dropped off. I'll post as things progress.

OojUak6.jpg

Greg

• Like 3

How much was the ticket on that, if you don't mind telling?

$45.00 on teh blank and $150 on the barrel profiling.  I have the LEW  upper that was about $49.00 IIRC  Kind of high on the upper but supply and demand..LOL

Greg

9 minutes ago, GLShooter said:

$45.00 on teh blank and $150 on the barrel profiling.  I have the LEW  upper that was about $49.00 IIRC  Kind of high on the upper but supply and demand..LOL

Greg

Does that include fitting the extension, barrel threading, and chambering work? 

Edited by Longhair

16 minutes ago, Longhair said:

Does that include fitting the extension, barrel threading, and chambering work? 

Yes it did.  Being a friend of the owner helps.  I am waiting on barrel stock for two fast moving 20 caliber wildcats. One will be a 20 Practical REMAGE, I just got the 700 action pinned, and the other will be another RUGAGE in 20 LBC.

Greg

3 minutes ago, GLShooter said:

Yes it did.  Being a friend of the owner helps.  I am waiting on barrel stock for two fast moving 20 caliber wildcats. One will be a 20 Practical REMAGE, I just got the 700 action pinned, and the other will be another RUGAGE in 20 LBC.

Greg

Mind if I PM you at a later date for contact info? I'd really like to build a faster twist .22LR upper for a Ciener conversion.

No problem. This is the standard 1:16 for the LR cartridge. The original Ruger tube shot pretty well. I'll stick a big scope on this one and see what it does.

Greg

Awww, hell. I just went and looked the GM website and found the $44.95 .17 18" blank and the $36.38 .17 11" SS pistol blank. I've been thinking about doing a new barrel for the Ruger Precision rimfire .17 for giggles. And that price is cheap. 

The pistol barrel will be to turn the PMR-30 .22 Mag into a PMR-30 .17 HMR. You know, in case the squirrels launch a full frontal assault while out in the woods. Hmmm. I wonder if I will have time this winter before we all die of covid and rioting.

3 hours ago, GLShooter said:

No problem. This is the standard 1:16 for the LR cartridge. The original Ruger tube shot pretty well. I'll stick a big scope on this one and see what it does.

Greg

I've got an Aguila fast twist barrel on a 10/22 to shoot 60gr subs with, and it shoots standard 40gr really well, too. So since I have two conversion BCGs, my plan is to tune one for use with subs, and keep one in original nick for standards, and just set the whole thing up with the fast twist tube.

I'm pretty sure that GM makes a fast twist 10/22 barrel, but I'll have to look into whether they offer a fast twist blank or not. Worse case scenario, I'll get a 10/22 barrel and have him work his magic on it.

10 minutes ago, Longhair said:

That would work. But it would work better if it were in stock. :lol: 

Oh, you actually want to buy one? Sheesh!

• Haha 1

I figure it's another one of those NOTIFY ME deals. A Google hunt might turn up a raw fast twist RF blank but you are definitely upping the price. It's a good thing that requirement makes all of us instantly well off.

Greg

• Haha 1

I finally found a fore end I liked so it came in. I dropped it off with George and he put it together for me.  This is what it looks like now. Very much cleaner than before. I am now in the process of looking for some glass to put on it. I think the clear lower looks nice. You can look through the side and see the hammer sear engagement even. It has a 3 pound BTE drop in trigger.   I wil be getting some Black Dog magazines as they are not expensive and they look better than the original Ceiners.

NiXiXKj.jpg

Greg

• Like 2