GLShooter

NEW CONVERSION SET UP

Here is the rifle after I changed out the scope. I picked up a 3X9 Athlon set up for 22 RF with the BDC features.  The scopes looks good.  I think I have almost a dozen types of ammo to try on this one.  That is going to be a fun day at the range. No chronograph just me and a trigger mano y mano.

LoGjpqi.jpg

Greg

PS: I ordered three steel lipped Black Dog magazines yesterday direct from them. Best price on the net and I was just notified they are ready to ship out.  I can't wait to get this one on the bench.

• Like 1

Finally got this one out to the range. I shot 21 various kinds of 22 from Standard Targetto Hypervelocity. Groups were decent to no bueno.  I was shooting two groups with each ammo then swapping out. Truthfully that is stacking the deck against the platform.  22 barrels need a bit of "seasoning" with a given bullet/load to really show their true capabilities. I found that pretty much across the board that the second group was tighter than the first. That would be pretty indicative of what happens in these little guys when you swap back and forth. . With the dearth of backfill 22 I was a bit more parsimonious on this testing. With the better second groups I would normally put about three more group on paper and at that point I feel I would have a good idea of what I have.  

Ammo shot was from thunderbolt up to some $10.00/box Lapua/Eley/RWS.  The match grade was OK but was easily matched by some of the cheaper fodder. I will be crunching target numbers later but I know that the PMC ZAPPER stuff was one of the better rounds as was IIRC CCI Mini Mag.  I happen to have four or five bricks of ZAPPER so that is a good thing.  I need to look at the Aquila stuff as I have a grundle full of it laying around  with about 7,000 or f them handy.  I'll post up some findings as I develop the chart.  I used a CIENER conversion in the custom GM barrel and it ran over 200 rounds without a glitch even with the heavy anti=bounce weight in place.  I'll be swapping this over to my rock and roll platform and see how it does. Also this was the first time I usd the Black Dog magazines and I am quite frankly more than pleased with them.

The only negative for the day was the ATHLON 3X9 that I bought last year for this one. It is the RF version so has a 50 yard parallax built in. Unfortunately the only way I could get it to give me a clear picture at 25 and 50 yards was to unscrew the ocular adjustment that is really designed to work on the reticle.  I may well have had some parallax induced group enlargement but if so it would have been miniscule IMHO. I got on the phone this AM and talked with their Tech guy and after ascertaining that it really has a 50 yard parallax and he agreed that the scope had issues.  I told him about the ocular adjustment actually clearing up some of the blurry. He kind of  choked up trying to explain that was not what the ocular adjustment was for and broke into a dissertation of how it was supposed to be used and the proper procedure for setting it up. I kind of chuckled at him and explained I had a pretty good grasp of what it was for hence the call to them.   I boxed it up and it is heading back to Kansas as I type this  so it will be interesting how quickly I get a repaired/new scope on the gun. I'm betting two weeks from Monday.

I'll add some tomorrow when I get some pertinent data worth sharing.

Greg

• Like 1