srjdsmith

6.5 Creedmore questions and musings

So, 6.5 CM.

Do people hunt with these things? Or mostly long range target shooting? As a hunting rifle, wouldn’t an AR10 or LR308 (or whatever they call those AR monstrosities) be stupid heavy? It seems like you can get anything from 18” to 24” barrels, or maybe an even bigger spread. What barrel length do you build if you’re a hunter who might, ideally, shoot it once per year at game, and then want to shoot it at the range the rest of the time? Once that goofy stretched-out lower is built, can you swap the 6.5 CM upper for .308 Win or .243 Win?

Someone please tell me a few things about a Creedmore? My son’s been dropping some hints and I don’t want to sound ignorant.

Let me start out by saying that every time I start daydreaming about large frame ARs, my practical nature kicks in and I talk myself right out of it.

IMO, unless you're the SDM in a battle zone, a 6.5CM auto-loader is a novelty. In combat they have a 4-500 yard advantage over a .308, but an average ethical hunter isn't going to be taking 600+ yard shots on game animals. Pests like coyotes maybe, but not anything that you care about not chancing letting it get away wounded. Yes, you can share a BCG and even mags with .308 and other similar cartridges, but with any of them mag dumps are prohibitively expensive unless you're stinking rich or have a sponsor paying for your ammo.

In any case, if long range accuracy is important...get a bolt gun. Auto-loaders are inherently less accurate as a general rule. 

If he's independently wealthy, tell him to go for it, because doing it right won't be cheap. If he's just stuck on having a 6.5mm something, help him put together a Grendel upper that he can run on a standard AR15 lower, and have a gun that won't break the bank to own or shoot, that will reach out with enough more steam than a 5.56 to take pokes at 'yotes @ 4-600 yards.

YMMV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are wanting this for hunting alone, there are many good bolt actions out there that won't cost you an arm and a leg. 

As far as the .243, I think you could get by with it, but you guys grow some monster bucks out in Iowa. 

Only if I was going to set it up for overwatch/self defense, would I be thinking about an A10 platform. As you said they can get kinda porky with the weight of a scope. You could split the difference and get a bolt action in Scout Rifle configuration and detachable magazines, so you could put a 10 round magazine on it in times of trouble.  

If this is only for hunting, I'd go bolt action, or a used Ruger #1.  But I tend to favor thr traditional where I can.

I'll tell you this though, if I did not have my M1A, and had a couple of moer 5.56, I would have an AR10 platform rifle, most likely in .308.  The TC Compass is now the Compass II, and if TC improved on that gun, it could be quite a buy if you find it on sale.  Even the Stevens by Savage has undergone some upgrades recently...it depends on what you want out of the rifle. 

43 minutes ago, Retcop said:

but you guys grow some monster bucks out in Iowa. 

Yeah. Not for Iowa. Straight wall only. I’ll stick to my Bushy and 350 Legend AR’s for home. (Also might be eyeing a Ruger American rifle in 450 Bushmaster...) He’s in Wisconsin, where .308, .243, 6.5 CM, 30-06 etc are legal. In fact, anything .22 (not rimfire) and bigger is allowed.

It’s just that those goofy hulk-sized lowers look like they would make for a disgustingly heavy rifle. My son-in-law has gotten deer with his .308 AR, but he hunts from a tree stand and carries it very little- mostly just carry it in and sit, then rest it on the bar in front of the stand to shoot.

But my son is into novelty. So, if the lower could also run uppers in “normal calibers” for .243 or .308 for coyotes and deer, I’d feel a little better about him messing with a 6.5 CM upper.

Just now, srjdsmith said:

Yeah. Not for Iowa. Straight wall only. I’ll stick to my Bushy and 350 Legend AR’s for home. (Also might be eyeing a Ruger American rifle in 450 Bushmaster...) He’s in Wisconsin, where .308, .243, 6.5 CM, 30-06 etc are legal. In fact, anything .22 (not rimfire) and bigger is allowed.

It’s just that those goofy hulk-sized lowers look like they would make for a disgustingly heavy rifle. My son-in-law has gotten deer with his .308 AR, but he hunts from a tree stand and carries it very little- mostly just carry it in and sit, then rest it on the bar in front of the stand to shoot.

But my son is into novelty. So, if the lower could also run uppers in “normal calibers” for .243 or .308 for coyotes and deer, I’d feel a little better about him messing with a 6.5 CM upper.

Got it. Whoops on me for missing the gun was to be used in Wisconsin. 

Yep they hunt with them. Mostly wrapped up  n a bolt gun. They are effective out yonder. Anything a 260 Remington will do so will the Creed with only a very slight loss in non-noticeable range.  Those AR10 types are heavy unless you get into the DPMS G2 and that shaves a bit of weight off and makes them mo-betta'.  I would probably just do a 260 and call it good as it would give me all the flexibility I needed with that tiny bit of extra power plus the ability to make brass out of 243/308. Of course a 260 has no flash and pop like the newest fishing lure in the box.

You will find the gas gun harder to tune for ultimate accuracy.  Not that you can't but it is just a bit more challenge. The biggest downfall I see in the big platform period is there is zero consistency.  Nothing worse than some of the mishmash of stiff taht is "AR10 " spec when there is no such animal. On top of that even the same company will have different configurations in upper/lower design. Not good.   My suggestion would to buy a compete gun and then add and subtract from there. One other issue that is not mechanical is they kick like a mule compared to a bolt gun. That big BCG slamming around hurts me. I've shot hundreds of 308 rounds in my bolt guns a day in 308 but after about 50 I find the AR10 in 308 I have a bit tedious. I don't count myself in the world of being recoil sensitive but it s real to me. I find my M1A's that I have much more comfortable on my shoulder and body in general.

Just some thoughts and meanderings here. I don't own a Creed but when I do it will be a 6 MM..LOL

Greg

• Like 2

The one thing I can say about 6.5 CM is that (prior to current events) there was plenty of ammo. All the mfgs are offer a wide selection. I agree about non standard large frame ARs and weight issues. Can't really argue with the round's ballistics either. I would go with a bolt action though to gain the best of the round.