olfart

Build a Suppressor?

I've been mulling the idea of building a suppressor using BATFE's Form 1 process.  The form asks typical questions for a firearm (yeah, I know... they classify suppressors as firearms) but as yet I don't know enough about what I need to answer the questions.  What I'd like to do is to build a 9mm suppressor that I could use on my Polymer 80 Glock build and my AR9.  I'm sure that would involve two different sized barrel adapters, one 1/2" X 28, the other 5/8" X 24.  Yes, both barrels are threaded.  What I don't know is what length/diameter suppressor would meet my needs.  Would one of the "solvent trap" kits be adequate, or do I need to go to a genuine suppressor dealer and buy a kit there?  Mainly I'd like to be able to grab a gun and step outside to shoot a 'possum without having to hunt down my earmuffs.

It would also be nice if someone has the time to walk me through the Form 1.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I’m definitely following this. It’s my understanding that, no matter where the suppressor comes from- bought, home made, found in the woods... it still needs a stamp costing $200. But, maybe, this form 1 route is different?

John
”Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” -Buckaroo Banzai

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Built or bought, every suppressor has to have the $200 stamp.  The Form 1 route is alleged to be a little quicker than any other form of application, from what I've read.  As I misunderstand things, the suppressor is a stand-alone item, not tied to any specific firearm.  Therefore it could be used on any firearm it would fit.

• Like 1

I can answer a few of the questions. 

First off, if you buy a solvent trap kit like from quiet bore, they will only have the one size length. 

You can probably choose between aluminum or titanium for the tube. 

Let quiet bore or whomever your purchasing from do the engraving.  It's just easier to have it done by the time you receive it. 

Lastly, go through the ATF EFORM 1 before placing order for solvent trap. As it will allow you to view your previous purchased model names. Which you will need to make up. 

If you choose one that's already created by an earlier buyer, it will. Save a few weeks as ATF will take their time "researching" the model. 

Once you choose a model name or create your own then place your solvent trap order. 

Put all your info into EFORM, name, town, zip, model name and serial number that you also create. 

And you will still pay the 200 stamp extortion fee. 

If you have anymore questions, just ask.   I only have one and it was slow but successfully purchase. 

Not to mention since atf is getting hit hard add a few extra weeks to wait time. 

But still way faster than regular paper eform. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately, the Quietbore 9mm units are out of stock.  Any other suggestions?

6 hours ago, olfart said:

Unfortunately, the Quietbore 9mm units are out of stock.  Any other suggestions?

Just make your own.

If it wasn't for the $200 permission slip I'd have already done so,

• Like 1

Unfortunately I think you will find most if not all dealers out of stock. 

So the wait time if you ordered 2 months ago would have been 2 weeks, now it's 4 to 5 weeks.  If they are allowing new orders to be processed. 

So it's a first come first serve scenario. 

Certainly easy enough to build your own as stated. 

The cones are available as are the end caps and adapters. You just need just need a tube of correct diameter, the engraving and 200 bucks. 

Edited by pierceg
  • Like 1