srjdsmith

Supressor

I don’t want to step on olfart’s thread, but it got me thinking... Can supressors be moved between guns? I‘d sure like to have a supressor for my Bushy. Usually deer hunts are a “1 trigger-pull and done” deal, but there are those years... And touching off that 450 Bushmaster in the woods can knock down small trees! And, if there’s a chance to fill my bonus tag right after my regular tag is laying on the ground, I sure like to collect more venison.

So, about supressors? Whether you make it or buy it whole, you still have to have the stamp, yes? Assuming I’m willing to part with $200, and assuming that I’ll be hunting this season without the supressor, because the waiting time is the time to get the stamp and legally possess the equipment. So, does one apply for the stamp, get the stamp, then make the device? Or does one make part, add a serial number, then wait for the stamp before making the rest? Can that same .45 cal supressor be used on a .45 handgun, or is it only licensed for that particular rifle?

• Thanks 1

The can is not tied to any gun.  It is a separate item.  The can is the item with the stamp not the gun (assuming it is not on a gun requiring a stamp for another reason).  

Pistol cans will normally not be rated for the pressure of rifle rounds.

• Like 1

...and a rifle can would be too awkward on a pistol to be worthwhile, I suppose?

Well, maybe if I accidentally get that bolt action Bushy, I’ll feel better about the ability to move a suppressor from the AR to the bolt gun and the cost of a stamp might sting a little less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, srjdsmith said:

...and a rifle can would be too awkward on a pistol to be worthwhile, I suppose?

Well, maybe if I accidentally get that bolt action Bushy, I’ll feel better about the ability to move a suppressor from the AR to the bolt gun and the cost of a stamp might sting a little less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for a rifle can big enough for a 45 cal maybe.  

As I understand it,  get the stamp and then build it. I'm fairly certain that if a person were "quiet" about it, the risk would be low by starting the build prior to obtaining the stamp, but I'd hate to take that chance.

There are certain parts of the build you can do before you get the stamp.  There is actually a kit where you get everything and have all of the components, and once you get the stamp, you drill the baffles and screw them all together.  By doing it yourself rather than a transfer you save about 10 months of waiting.

I’ve got a 45 cal can that works on handguns  & planning on getting my 45/70 barrel threaded as it’s also rated for 45/70 full house loads :D:

On 9/23/2020 at 4:09 PM, redbarron06 said:

This is old info, you can buy a “pistol” can that is rated for rifles, it all depends on the quality and knowledge of the manufacturer.

The market is driving more multi cal cans as well as multi purpose