oncewas

New build Blues

Okay well while building my last 5.56 11.5in pistol I ordered a BCM upper that never came in. Well surprise it’s on its way. So, since I have a new upper, I’m thinking I’ll build a new 300blk pistol with an 8.5in barrel. My problem is I recently bought a Ruger 556 10.5in 300blk. I’ve purchased two DeadAir Suppressors one Sandman Ti and a Nomad 30 which are still seven to ten months out.

My question is should I go for the 8.5in 300blk build or hold off or pick some other build. I know it’s my decision but I’m look for some input. Help me out guys. Thanks  

If you already have a 300 what about a PCC?

I thought about that but figured I like to look into a Stribog. Everything I've heard it's the way to go and at under $800 it sounds like a deal.

I'd save it for another build for a couple of reasons. A big one would be that you already have the best barrel length for a .300BLK pistol with your Ruger. 

On the BCM upper you could put together a Grendel, or maybe a 20" SPR. Either would have benefits at longer range, and if you don't have anything longer than 16" you're missing out. A 20" fast twist barrel spitting heavy pills can do things a carbine can only dream about.

A wise man once said that God and Eugine Stoner settled on 20" for a reason.

20” AR15 with green tip ammo will punch thru steel body armor, it was designed to defeat Russian body armor  :tiphat:

How modular are those cans, can they be used on a 5.56 or are they limited to 30 cal, I do not remember....

The sandman series cans work with both 5.56 and 30 cal......

Another question is.......ammo....what do you have access to and how much.....

My only concern going with a 20in barrel in either 5.56 or Grendel is my personal range is only 75 yards and the closet public range is 200yrds. I take my 7.62 SA Victor AR-10 there but just don't know if I would get that much use for something that can reach out past 500yrds or further. 

Both cans are suitable for use on 30cal or 5.56, not sure how I'm going to set them up yet I'd like to change them from direct thread to QD but that $500 worth of KeyMo not counting the muzzle devices.

I'm okay with ammo not great. Setting on about 600 5.56 and 400 300blk.

Interesting options and definitely worth consideration. Thanks guys that's the kind of input I was looking for. 

2 hours ago, oncewas said:

My only concern going with a 20in barrel in either 5.56 or Grendel is my personal range is only 75 yards and the closet public range is 200yrds. I take my 7.62 SA Victor AR-10 there but just don't know if I would get that much use for something that can reach out past 500yrds or further. 

It's worth it, because it translates out to longer ranges. 

If you're shooting ½" groups with your 16" guns @ 100yds, you might well get ¼" groups with a 20". So at 400yds, your ½" group @ 100 becomes a 2" group, and the ¼" group becomes 1". 

I know that when SHTF the only thing that ultimately matters is minute of man, but the concept of "aim small, miss small" always applies, and there is value in maximizing the efficacy of any weapon.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Longhair said:

It's worth it, because it translates out to longer ranges. 

If you're shooting ½" groups with your 16" guns @ 100yds, you might well get ¼" groups with a 20". So at 400yds, your ½" group @ 100 becomes a 2" group, and the ¼" group becomes 1". 

I know that when SHTF the only thing that ultimately matters is minute of man, but the concept of "aim small, miss small" always applies, and there is value in maximizing the efficacy of any weapon.

So you think I'd be better off going 5.56 20in or Grendel 18 or 20in?

3 hours ago, oncewas said:

Both cans are suitable for use on 30cal or 5.56, not sure how I'm going to set them up yet I'd like to change them from direct thread to QD but that $500 worth of KeyMo not counting the muzzle devices.

I'm okay with ammo not great. Setting on about 600 5.56 and 400 300blk.

Interesting options and definitely worth consideration. Thanks guys that's the kind of input I was looking for. 

Does it really matter what distance your personal range is???

Hell, in the military we shot M16A2’s at 25 yards with the tombstone targets that were sized for different distances, forget the actual ranges the tombstones were for, but they went from big to really freaking small :lol:

Figure out what the “mission” you want the next weapon to play, what it’s role will be and that will help guide you along the path of the build.....

Personally if it was me, right now I would stick with the same calibers you already have, the more calibers you have the harder and more expensive it will be to get ammonia, you are looking at at least 2 years from today before ammo availability gets better snd prices drop.......

That’s why I went with QD on the Sandman,  just a click away to change them with the muzzle device...

Went with direct thread for the pistol can, it works better on pistols and what my usage is...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, oncewas said:

So you think I'd be better off going 5.56 20in or Grendel 18 or 20in?

Why a Grendel, what will that caliber get you, what will it do for you that you do not already have......

What is ammo availability like as well as cost.....

17 hours ago, oncewas said:

I thought about that but figured I like to look into a Stribog. Everything I've heard it's the way to go and at under $800 it sounds like a deal.

Right now the CZ Scorpion is the king of PCCC’s, how long it will stay that way, who knows, but their are tons of aftermarket pieces parts, mags and such.....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, oncewas said:

Just saw this.........hummmmmmmm

Just FYI, this is my CZ Scorpion Micro for comparison.......

iEbgbQ4.jpg

My only concern with the two reviews was he didn't do a two thousand round test with the CZ. Unless I missed it.  But I did watch and read a few about the Stribog that were mostly positive. I do like the CZ from what I've read and yours does look sweet. It's all pretty interesting. I may look into building a 9mm PCC but I would want to use dedicated upper and lower.