wish2no

Robot Vacuumes - the joys

I finally broke down and bought a robot vacuum cleaner.  At around $175.00 it had the highest suction and auto return to recharge functions.  It also does medium shag carpets well (saying from experience).  The other feature I wanted was for it to be short enough to go under my bed.  I try vacuuming there but is very difficult. The matress and bed are too heavy for me to move anymore.  This thing has been great.

So, never had one before.  Basically the girl friend dosent vacuum at all, and when she decides to wash the sheets I figure it must be time to change the oil in the truck.  Just saying, not being judgemental.

So I turned this guy lose in my room after I had done the best I could do with a hose and attachment on a shop vac.  This thing took 6 runs, kept filling the collection bin with cat hair and other stuff, but now I really feel the room is clean (at least the floor).

Girlfriend bitched at me for making a mess in the kitchen (I did not) and proclaimed she cleaned it and I better keep it clean.  About an hour latter I turned the robo-vac loose in the kitchen/dining room and it picked up a whole container of crap.  Man, did that piss her off.

Other FUN things... I have 2 cats.  one cat terrified of the thing.  Sits on the bed and watches/stalks it.  He dosent know what to do but hide.  Other cat will sit on the floor, the robo-vac will bump right into him and he just gives it an evil look while it figures out how to go around him.

In any case, I am very happy with the purchase.  Just getting under the bed clean was worth it.  Plus it has a full 3 year parts labor and shipping warranty.

Oh, on the carpet it runs around 45-60 minutes.  On the wood floor around 1.5 hours.

COuple things I have found... you have to pick up cheap, super lightweight throw rugs or it will tangle.  Also move cat water and food dishes or it will just push them along the floor until they hit something and spill.  It comes with a remote you can use or run it off Bluetooth/your phone.

Not had any trouble with stairs.  It seems to have a self preservation sensor that keeps it from falling.  Every once in a while it will get trapped and cant fond its way out and will beep to let you know to come save it.

When these first came out they were $500.00 to $1000.00 plus.  For $175.00 it is not the fanciest, but has the same vacuum power, just not the ability to program where it goes.  I could care less about that... just let it run like a pong game and it does very well.  And it has some sort of logic built in as I see it will follow a wall, or do a spiral to get everything.  Once it hits something the program just resets into random.

In any case, I am so happy with it. If you have never tried one and have uncluttered areas you need to clean here and there I will definately recommend them.  I would list my model bu not sure what it is off hand.  But VERY pleased with it.  What a time saver and makes you feel good knowing things are clean.  Just dont piss the wifey or gf off with it showing them what a shatty job they do.  Just say, "I will vacuum" and leave it at that.

JOhn

• Like 3

So what one did you get, have thought about one, but they always seem so stupid expensive

I bought one when they were $350. It would get jammed under my toe kicks in the kitchen, it would  run around and not get everything, it would get stuck and just beat itself under the table until it found a way out. I got mad at it and gave it to a friend. She gave it back a month later. I ran it a bit more and it was a joke, always get hung up and not cleaning well. I got mad at it and tossed it all in the trash on trash day....gone. 

My wife was against it from the beginning and had nothing to do with it........I don't think the trauma is over with me yet to try another one :yukyuk:

My animals don't crap in the house but a dropped piece of charcoal from the wood stove will do the same as this dog poop....

unmlbvl.jpg

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, towtruck said:

I bought one when they were $350. It would get jammed under my toe kicks in the kitchen, it would  run around and not get everything, it would get stuck and just beat itself under the table until it found a way out. I got mad at it and gave it to a friend. She gave it back a month later. I ran it a bit more and it was a joke, always get hung up and not cleaning well. I got mad at it and tossed it all in the trash on trash day....gone. 

My wife was against it from the beginning and had nothing to do with it........I don't think the trauma is over with me yet to try another one :yukyuk:

My animals don't crap in the house but a dropped piece of charcoal from the wood stove will do the same as this dog poop....

unmlbvl.jpg

Now that would be "shatty" :hysterical3:

10 minutes ago, Rampy said:

So what one did you get, have thought about one, but they always seem so stupid expensive

I will post the description here first, then the link.  Since I am looking at past purchases in my account not sure you will be able to access the link.  I think the reason it shows the price as $194.00 is because I also bought the 3 year warranty.  Seems without the warranty it was around $30.00 cheaper.

Robot Vacuum, dser 23T 2200Pa Robotic Vacuum Cleaner, Wi-Fi Connected, 2 Boundary Strips, Self-Charging, Multiple Cleaning Modes Vacuum for Hard Floor Carpets and Pet Hair, Work with Alexa

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083DJTZ46?psc=1

About this item

• [2200Pa Powerful Suction] : Dser 23T robot vacuum picks up pet hair, dust, crumbs easily with max 2200Pa super suction. It automatically increases suction power on different type of floors from hard floors to medium-pile carpets. 600ml large capacity dust bin holds more debris. Washable filter ensure convenient daily maintenance.
  • [WiFi Connected and Works with Alexa]: The robot vacuum cleaner compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant voice control-services, let you control the robot at anytime. it also can be controlled by dserlife App through WiFi connection or the remote control, you can easily create a cleaning schedule and control the cleaning direction by your phone.(A secured 2.4GHz WiFi network is required)
  • [Automatic Charging]: Use automatic recharge technology, dser 23T will be back to charge when in low battery. Enough power to clean all your house floor and carpet-covered areas. 2600mAh Li-ion batteries ensure up to 120 minutes of constant working after per fully charging.
  • [Multi Cleaning Modes & Ultra thin Design]: Dser smart vacuum robot cleaner supports 6 cleaning modes including automatic cleaning, spot, max, single room, edge and manual cleaning. Freely switch between different modes and power levels as you want. dser robotic vacuum has a slim 2.83-inch body. It's thin enough to reach every corner of a house or narrow space.
  • [What You Get]: Worry-free for 12-month, 2x 6.6ft magnetic boundary strips, 4x side brushes, 1x extra filter, 1x remote control (2 AAA batteries included), 1x charging dock, 1x adapter, and 1x cleaning tool.

John

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wish2no said:

I will post the description here first, then the link.  Since I am looking at past purchases in my account not sure you will be able to access the link.  I think the reason it shows the price as $194.00 is because I also bought the 3 year warranty.  Seems without the warranty it was around $30.00 cheaper.

Robot Vacuum, dser 23T 2200Pa Robotic Vacuum Cleaner, Wi-Fi Connected, 2 Boundary Strips, Self-Charging, Multiple Cleaning Modes Vacuum for Hard Floor Carpets and Pet Hair, Work with Alexa

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083DJTZ46?psc=1

About this item

• [2200Pa Powerful Suction] : Dser 23T robot vacuum picks up pet hair, dust, crumbs easily with max 2200Pa super suction. It automatically increases suction power on different type of floors from hard floors to medium-pile carpets. 600ml large capacity dust bin holds more debris. Washable filter ensure convenient daily maintenance.
  • [WiFi Connected and Works with Alexa]: The robot vacuum cleaner compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant voice control-services, let you control the robot at anytime. it also can be controlled by dserlife App through WiFi connection or the remote control, you can easily create a cleaning schedule and control the cleaning direction by your phone.(A secured 2.4GHz WiFi network is required)
  • [Automatic Charging]: Use automatic recharge technology, dser 23T will be back to charge when in low battery. Enough power to clean all your house floor and carpet-covered areas. 2600mAh Li-ion batteries ensure up to 120 minutes of constant working after per fully charging.
  • [Multi Cleaning Modes & Ultra thin Design]: Dser smart vacuum robot cleaner supports 6 cleaning modes including automatic cleaning, spot, max, single room, edge and manual cleaning. Freely switch between different modes and power levels as you want. dser robotic vacuum has a slim 2.83-inch body. It's thin enough to reach every corner of a house or narrow space.
  • [What You Get]: Worry-free for 12-month, 2x 6.6ft magnetic boundary strips, 4x side brushes, 1x extra filter, 1x remote control (2 AAA batteries included), 1x charging dock, 1x adapter, and 1x cleaning tool.

John

Very interesting, they sure have come a long way since I last looked at them, will be looking around at them as we have a dog that loves to shed hair & lots of crap laying on the floor like dog toys and such....

I have two roombas, one I control from the phone it empties itself in the dock with a nice hepa bag  change once every 45 days seems like , however it eats the corner brush, and cannot run in the dark even though it uses IR to map the rooms.

The other one is dumb and all manual, but dang it is a cleaner and tough.

16 minutes ago, Nwatson99 said:

I have two roombas, one I control from the phone it empties itself in the dock with a nice hepa bag  change once every 45 days seems like , however it eats the corner brush, and cannot run in the dark even though it uses IR to map the rooms.

The other one is dumb and all manual, but dang it is a cleaner and tough.

So you dont have to empty the collection container on the Roomba?  That would be cool.  After each run I remove the collection container, super easy, dump into the trash can then take a brush and brush off the HEPA filter.  Takes me 1 minute. 

To me, I try to just keep the thing running 3 or so times a day.  It takes it around 3 hours to recharge, but I figure as long as it is there just keep it going.  But I do have to dump it each run.  WIth a self dump unit you could just tell it clean, dump, re-charge and clean again.  Let that thing just run constant.  I live in the country so always all sorts of debris being drug into the house. The other thing I do is between one run or another I move some chairs etc so it can get to new places.  Compared to a GF who cleans once a month, this has been a G-dsend.  Plus, it just makes me smile and laugh.  I get a kick out of dodging it and just watching it go. Floors have not been this clean in 15 years!

Another nice feature I eluded to earlier, it is only around 2.2 inches tall, so it goes under the counter overhangs and under the bed/furniture.  It has zero trouble transitioning from wood floor to carpet and one type of carpet to another type of carpet.  Its a miracle!  I think it also has a separate attachment you can buy that will also mop a wood floor.  Crazy!  I always thought not for me, a gimmick until my sister and Mom started raving about them.  Now with prices pretty much affordable, at least for the cheap but powerful ones like I got I see great value in it.

The S9 yes it empties itself, I blow out the hepa filter inside the unit every week.

The 680 is all manual, push the clean button to start, empty the tray every other day, and I blow out the filter in it every week also.

I run them both daily if I don't forget, the S9 covers the majority of the house, where the 680 only does my bedroom, bathroom, and closet.

Then I use the Miele upright every other day in the main rooms with the cats I just feel better, the rooms look and feel cleaner, and the Miele has a dual hep filter system the air does seem cleaner.

12 minutes ago, Nwatson99 said:

The S9 yes it empties itself, I blow out the hepa filter inside the unit every week.

The 680 is all manual, push the clean button to start, empty the tray every other day, and I blow out the filter in it every week also.

I run them both daily if I don't forget, the S9 covers the majority of the house, where the 680 only does my bedroom, bathroom, and closet.

Then I use the Miele upright every other day in the main rooms with the cats I just feel better, the rooms look and feel cleaner, and the Miele has a dual hep filter system the air does seem cleaner.

Technology is amazing.  All those things you watched in The Jetsons cartoons growing up are becoming reality. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, wish2no said:

Technology is amazing.  All those things you watched in The Jetsons cartoons growing up are becoming reality. 

Yes and the brushes I clean they weekly as well, when you clean your make sure to get inside of them at the ends where they connect into your machine, those places are cat hair magnets.

11 minutes ago, wish2no said:

Well, the Jetsons was set in 2062 so we are getting closer and closer to robots and bubble cars that fly :tiphat:

Been looking at the The Proscenic M7 Pro

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/proscenic-m7-pro

We only have 3 rooms without carpet, the 2 bathrooms and kitchen & the rest carpet and this looks like it would work really good on carpet with lots of dog hair.....

But I'm just a starting to learn about them.....

Yeh, so many features.  I just went with the very basic that included self docking and high vacuum.  Mine actually changes the amount of vacuum depending on carpet or hard floor, hence the difference in run times for each surface.  My other requirement was it had to be less than 2-3/4 inches tall so it could get under the bed and counters.  I dont have or use Alexa or Siri so dont care about that.  I also dont care about it mapping out my floor... stuff here moves all the time so it wouldnt do me any good.  Mine was CHEAP and does everything I wanted it to do.  I am sure there are benefits to some people for the bells and whistles but I just wouldnt use them.  What I would like now is one I can run outside on the wood decks that is able to pick up leaves and other stuff that falls out of the trees.  Not found anything like that yet.  Still have to use the leaf blower.

I read some of the propaganda from Shark's new robot vacuum. 

Looks pretty cool

I have had a regular Shark vacuum for many years now and it is still going strong.

Very innovative design, and being able to disconnect from the roller to a and held is way cool.

Also, switching from floor vacum to using tools is a matter of hitting one button on the upper handle, and you instantly connect the hand tools. If and when this one wears out, I will buy another Shark. Their prices are still lower than the competition, but they are creeping higher. The new roller system that prevents hair getting tangled up in the roller is brilliant. 

When I did my reasearch years ago, one of the things that sold me was the allergy endoesements it got as it is a sealed system that allows virtually none of the dust, mites, pollen, etc back into the room air. My wife has allergies. If I did not have other priorities, I would love to have their new model, as it is even better than the old.  If you can believe the blacklight testing

that Shark uses, there is only one other vaccum that comes close to keeping the dust and dirt inside the vaccum. The uber expensive dysons are a disaster in this regard, but Shark also tells you which model comes close to theirs in not releasing dust, and which one come close to suction power. I have a tear in one of the layers of foam that is designed to catch the large particles first. It is washable. I got hold of some silicone sealer to repair the small tear in the thick pad, and if that does not work, I will call Shark to see what they want for a replacement. I really don't think it is hurting the vacuum since the pad is so thick, put I may use it as an excuse to buy their new model. I could give the old one to the kids, and it would be much easier for my grandson to use than the big old bulky one they have, which is also a hand-me-down. He has become quite the helper now that he is older, and especially since the baby is now 14 months old. He is a great big brother, and I think he would enjoy helping keep the floor clean for his sister, as we all know stuff on the floor goes straight in their mouths, and their are many foods which she is "allergic" to.

It may sound weird, but vacuuming has always been one of my chores, and I have always appreciated a good vacuum, and especially one that uses innovation to get the job done. IIRC, they built plants in the USA, but my guess would be they are using a good number of foreign sourced parts to assemble here. 

One thing I liked about the Shark robot is that it uses GPS technology  to map your home, and uses the "corn row" method to vacuum rather than the random method. You can see an example of the random method in the picture that Rampy posted with his dog, and how it kind of bounces around randomly. The Shark will do that room in rows, just like a farmer tilling his field. The Shark model i was looking at was comparable to an I robot I7 something IIRC, with some advantages, like more suction and rollers that don't get clogged up with hair. I lost a lot of interest in the Robots when I saw in the testing they were using ping pong balls to test the suction on the Robots, and pool cue balls for the suction test on their regular models. That's a big difference in suction. Plus, with a regular machine, Shark will give you a 5 year replace or repair warranty, and they pay the shipping both ways. 

My current Shark is well over 5 years old now, though, so not sure if the warranty will be needed. 

Since I no longer have a dog, I have a lot less thick GSD hair to pick up. With the new Shark being 300 bucks, it's not cheap, but you can find it cheaper in the stores than on the infomercials, but you don't get the 5 year paid shipping "VIP" warranty at the store. I was all excited about buying a Dyson last time I needed a vacuum, until I started reading the test scores. maybe they have improved over the years, and the prices used to be outrageous. I presume they still are.  A robot would be good to have if you have pets that shed all the time, but I would still want a good vacuum for deep cleaning and the tools to uses to get under things, etc.