Sign in to follow this  
oncewas

Suppressed/unsuppressed

I have a 14.7in that I cut off the pinned and welded A2 cage, I'm going to pin and weld a DeadAir flash hider. My question is should I add an Adjustable gas block before I pin and weld the F/H? I've got a Nomad 30 can in jail that will being shared with a 16in 223Wylde and a 11.5in 5.56 built. Most times suppressed but not always. So is an adjustable gas block recommended?

Not nearly as knowledgeable as many of the others on here that'll chime in shortly I'm sure, but it depends on your barrel mostly. If it's on the overgassed side as is, then a suppressor will only add to that, in which case an adjustable gas block would be very helpful and beneficial. If it's gassed in the 'Goldilocks' zone and cycles everything with bolt lock-back after the last round, an AGB wouldn't be as beneficial, but still be useful with the added back-pressure of the suppressor. If your barrel is undergassed, and will only lock back after last round with higher pressure ammo and has trouble cycling lower pressure ammo, then a suppressor would help reliability and you likely would benefit much from an AGB. 

Hope that helps some, but I'd give it a bit until some more knowledgeable members respond with more experience than myself. I'd also appreciate if they'd correct me if any of the info I gave is incorrect, as we're always learning and would like to know if what I've been told and think I understood isn't right. 

Good luck, and thank you everyone ahead of time for any and all of your help.

Someone on another site recommended I use the BTR Eztubes. First I've heard of these. But I'm willing to check them out more so I understand them better. But from what little I read they are custom tubes with specific sized port holes used to adjust the gas flow.
But I'm not sure how you know which size to use?
And if it's wrong are you just out the cost of an adjustable gas block?
Anyway since I'm not taking the gun to a range I have awhile before I have to weld it. But this does maybe give me other options.

If you do not reload, no use for an adjustable block. No need for a suppressor in the factory loaded 223, it is going to be loud. If you want a flash suppressor, just use a can style flash suppressor. A blind pin is all you need, without the weld for an extension.

If the exterior of the extension is less than .750 and the gas trunnion is .750 you can change gas blocks with the extension in place.

Edited by Recondo 101