Jump to content
towtruck

New gear on the way

Recommended Posts

I am going to start packing my new Colt King Cobra on my CCW in January and I have been waiting for speed loaders to become available for this gun. I read where the twist tops for K frames will work but I hate twist tops. I wanted to get some more Safariland comp II's but I read where they are just "off" enough you cannot fully seat the rounds in order for the release to be tripped. The Colt has very tight tolerances to the frame as well when the cylinder is open so I am not sure if that will have a negative effect on loaders. 

 

I opted to by some quick strips. I purchased two 6 rounder's and two 8 rounder's. I'm not sure how I will pack them as I don't want them stuffed in a pocket. I currently have a 6 round drop pouch on my belt for the gun. The quick strips will not fit in that pouch but I think I could have one made pretty easy.  I'm going to get the strips and then work on how to carry them.

 

I ordered one Safariland Comp 3 speed loader for the K frame as I read that loader will work with the Colt. Since the release is on the top my hope is to get the cases started and be able to release them into the cylinder. If that loader works out I will buy two more and the carrier for them. That will give me 24 rounds on board. I may have to carve on my new grips, that I made, but I did plan for speed loaders and took off quite a bit of material in that area already. 

 

I'll post up pictures and if the Comp 3 works or not when the order gets here. I'm so glad to be able to start packing the Colt as I have become pretty good at shooting it as it's a fine gun now that I have tweaked it to fit my needs. Once I have a reloading system I like I will practice with them and get good with the system like I have done with my SP101 and the Comp II's. 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The comp III's came in today and while the Colt has some very tight tolerances I can make them work. My grips do not interfere with them but the closeness of the cylinders to the frame and the slight difference on diameter from a K frame makes them not go all the way in straight.  The push button on the rear of the comp III's is the key to making them work. I can start the bullets into the cylinder and whack the button on the end of the loader and all six drop in. I will be picking up two more and a holder for them all for my belt. It will be nice having 24 rounds on board for the Colt. I got the speed strips too but have not taken them out of the packaging yet. I'll get a picture of the loader on the gun soon to post. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What holster did you go with & how does you like it???

 

Oh and pictures :D:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's not for you, but saw some pictures today of that new holster system Enigma being worn with a 7 shot S&W 686 L frame & the guy was doing pushups and jumping jacks in sweats with it along with siting at a table, chairs and all kinds of other stuff, was really strange and warped, but woza....talk aboout steady and not moving around....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went with another Wright's pancake OWB....it's beautiful.  

 

Jgl3PH3.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, towtruck said:

I went with another Wright's pancake OWB....it's beautiful.  

 

Jgl3PH3.jpg

That's a good looking piece of leather. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, towtruck said:

I went with another Wright's pancake OWB....it's beautiful.  

 

Jgl3PH3.jpg

 

 

Was assuming it was from that company, but not 100% sure, nice hunk of leather that is.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played around with the speed loader today and lengthened out the push button release a bit to see if it would work better.....it did not. It works best stock but is still tight. The edge of the loader is against the frame of the gun. The top of the loader is hitting my grips too but since the bottom is hitting first carving on the grips won't help it align any better. The loader works and that is all that matters. I am going to chamfer the cylinders a little to smooth up the leading edge into the chambers. I want to take away that small amount of bite the edges have on the cases. I'm liking these comp III's.  They are taller than the comp II's and won't conceal as well but they will go under my shirt on the left side just fine. I can carry them in the same holders I use for the SP101 b with them. but the extra height makes them less secure. A three slot holder for my left will be out of the way for everyday use and I will just have to practice a left hand load or a hand switch. 

 

The wife will be buying the holder and two more loaders for me for Xmas. 

 

I also played with the speed strips a little and don't care for them much. I did not pay too much for them so they can sit until I decide if I want to try them or sell them off. I bought 6 and 8 rounders.....just not my thing. 

 

This is the pouch I will get.....except it's cheaper through Dillon.  https://safariland.com/products/model-333-triple-speedloader-holder-11017

 

This is the holder I have for the SP101  https://safariland.com/products/cd-2-speedloader-holder-1103084

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing the chamfer will help. I won't run a serious gun that has not been done.   That's a little deal that the factory should make as standard issue IMHO.

 

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2020 at 1:26 PM, towtruck said:

I played around with the speed loader today and lengthened out the push button release a bit to see if it would work better.....it did not. It works best stock but is still tight. The edge of the loader is against the frame of the gun. The top of the loader is hitting my grips too but since the bottom is hitting first carving on the grips won't help it align any better. The loader works and that is all that matters. I am going to chamfer the cylinders a little to smooth up the leading edge into the chambers. I want to take away that small amount of bite the edges have on the cases. I'm liking these comp III's.  They are taller than the comp II's and won't conceal as well but they will go under my shirt on the left side just fine. I can carry them in the same holders I use for the SP101 b with them. but the extra height makes them less secure. A three slot holder for my left will be out of the way for everyday use and I will just have to practice a left hand load or a hand switch. 

 

The wife will be buying the holder and two more loaders for me for Xmas. 

 

I also played with the speed strips a little and don't care for them much. I did not pay too much for them so they can sit until I decide if I want to try them or sell them off. I bought 6 and 8 rounders.....just not my thing. 

 

This is the pouch I will get.....except it's cheaper through Dillon.  https://safariland.com/products/model-333-triple-speedloader-holder-11017

 

This is the holder I have for the SP101  https://safariland.com/products/cd-2-speedloader-holder-1103084


 

Ever seen these??

 

They keep popping up as being high quality speed loaders....

 

https://www.speedbeez.com/product/speed-beez-speed-loader-new/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rampy said:


 

Ever seen these??

 

They keep popping up as being high quality speed loaders....

 

https://www.speedbeez.com/product/speed-beez-speed-loader-new/

 

 

 

What I use for my 22lr 10 round S&W 617, not for speed as much as convenience..really like the system..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rampy said:


 

Ever seen these??

 

They keep popping up as being high quality speed loaders....

 

https://www.speedbeez.com/product/speed-beez-speed-loader-new/

 

 

I have been watching those guys to come out with some for the Colt but nobody has them yet. They were my first  choice. The K frame S+W loaders I bought work but just barely. These speed beez are quality for sure but until they make them for the new Colt King Cobra I'll have to pass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never heard of them but that doesn't mean squat. I had some HKS twisty type I used on my original PYTHON.  They also work on L-Frames and vice versa.  Have you tried and L-frame loaders? The K's were a bit too small in diameter IIRC.

 

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not so much the chamber circle diameter as it is the clearance to the frame for the speed loader. I need to pull the cylinder off the gun and just see how close the K frame is to the Colt as far as the rounds dropping in still attached to the loader. The cylinder only clears the frame by a few thousandths so the thickness of the loader is the issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, towtruck said:

It's not so much the chamber circle diameter as it is the clearance to the frame for the speed loader. I need to pull the cylinder off the gun and just see how close the K frame is to the Colt as far as the rounds dropping in still attached to the loader. The cylinder only clears the frame by a few thousandths so the thickness of the loader is the issue. 

 

I wish I had my old one to  measure. I'll dig through my stuff and see if there is a huge difference in my L Frame vs PYTHON loaders in diameter.

 

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...