AR15Armory.com

New gear on the way

towtruck

Speaking of speedbees, I was thinking about a crossdraw holster to carry with my strong side EDC while driving. 

When I look at the Speedbees J frame crossdraw, holster it seems it is a pretty tight fit to get my mitt on the grip. (a "rubber" Pachymar) They say no metal reinforcement at the holster mouth as a good thing, I like the metal stiffening. 

You can look at the photo, or scroll over with magnification. 

I could probably get more purchase space if I went back to the original wood grips.

What says our revolver brain trust ? 

Note to TT:  If those speed strips are for .38 special, I might take them off your hands, IF you decide to get rid of them. 

The ones I've handled that work the best are super flexible.

Thanks for letting me pop in while we have so many revolver fans looking. 

Congratulations on getting your Colt set up with 24 rounds. 

Just throw that AR pistol behind your truck seat...:segrin:

11 hours ago, Retcop said:

Speaking of speedbees, I was thinking about a crossdraw holster to carry with my strong side EDC while driving. 

When I look at the Speedbees J frame crossdraw, holster it seems it is a pretty tight fit to get my mitt on the grip. (a "rubber" Pachymar) They say no metal reinforcement at the holster mouth as a good thing, I like the metal stiffening. 

You can look at the photo, or scroll over with magnification. 

I could probably get more purchase space if I went back to the original wood grips.

What says our revolver brain trust ? 

Note to TT:  If those speed strips are for .38 special, I might take them off your hands, IF you decide to get rid of them. 

The ones I've handled that work the best are super flexible.

Thanks for letting me pop in while we have so many revolver fans looking. 

Congratulations on getting your Colt set up with 24 rounds. 

Just throw that AR pistol behind your truck seat...:segrin:

I will pass those strips on to you......let's get through the holidays and let the mail catch up before we do anything.

The only cross draw I ever used went with my S+W 310 night guard 10mm revolver.  I can't remember where I bought it but it was all leather and worked well. I don't think I have big hands but I do like a big grip so they are not small apparently. I can get a full grip on all my guns from the holster. 

I got out my box of speed loaders I've used for 45 years.  I used HKS to start  back in the 70's as that was the most common ones on the market that were for street carry.  I measured them against he 586/L-Frame version and here are the numbers with the K-FRAME for some comparison:

L-FRAME                   PYTHON            K-FRAME

Outside diameter:

1.478                          1.475                  1.432 

Edge to edge  of the holes:

1.388                           1.407                  1.343

I might buy a COMP-2 or 3 for an L-FRAME  and turn it down on the outside to cut the diameter down.  I don't have a DADE Python but they really aren't secure enough for me to use  for street carry are really are only suitable for competition.  A Comp-3 measures 1.526 and 1.419 so it would be doable.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled the cylinder out of the King Cobra and the K frame Safariland comp III's drop right in....no issue with diameter.  The issue is all in the cylinder to frame clearance when opened. 

There is no way to trim enough of the plastic off the speed loader to make them drop in straight. All it takes is a bump on the back of the loader to get them to release their payload in the Colt.  I'm good with that. 

Today is the day when it all comes together. My Colt is added to the permit today when I go this afternoon to renew, and my second and third speed loader show up in the mail with the belt carrier. I will get the mail before going in to the Sheriffs office. I am going to gear up and put the gun in a lock box.....once out of the office the gun will get dropped in the holster and I'll be back in business.....I have been permit less for a week now and it sucks!

I am going to have to retrain myself to load this gun as the speed loaders will most likely be on my left and not the right.....a left handed grab will have to be figured out.  

The comp III's are 1.438 on the outside diameter. There is .045" from the case rim to the frame on the Colt with the cylinder open.

1 hour ago, GLShooter said:

Looks like the slimming down of the swing out is pretty adverse. I wonder what COLT was thinking and how the industry will respond.

Greg

Not sure but I just worked the gun over some more. I chamfered those chamber mouths and polished them up. I also noticed when you pushed on the open cylinder the crane would push forward in the frame enough to get the detent to not hold the crane in place. That caused a sticky situation when closing it again. With your thumbs I could push the crane out of the frame enough to make the detent stick. The detent is a hollow screw with a spring in it and a little pointed plunger that goes into the hole on the screw. It was made to fully collapse the plunger into the screw housing. I figured out that is what was happening so I made a .030" spacer to drop into the screw at the bottom and take up some of the slack. Now the cylinder cannot be pushed forward as the plunger in the detent is bottoming out on my spacer before it jumps the rim of the crane. That is another area they missed the mark on.....but only for us picky guys that check that kinda crap when we slap a speed loader in there. I used a piece of hard plastic as a spacer and if it wears out I will replace that with a piece of stainless.....it's a tiny part no bigger around than an anvil for a small pistol primer (ask me how I know). I can still push the crane forward about .030" but it no longer sticks and it stops about .040" sooner. 

The details of a reintroduction with "improvements" are pretty insidious. No change can be made to the original, in most cases, that doesn't demand an adjustment somewhere else.  My original PYTHON was built like Swiss watch but could not handle the DA spends I was throwing at it.   That crane thing could really screw up a reload when you least expect it. I'm very glad that you spotted it and sorted it out early.

Greg

21 hours ago, towtruck said:

Today is the day when it all comes together. My Colt is added to the permit today when I go this afternoon to renew, and my second and third speed loader show up in the mail with the belt carrier. I will get the mail before going in to the Sheriffs office. I am going to gear up and put the gun in a lock box.....once out of the office the gun will get dropped in the holster and I'll be back in business.....I have been permit less for a week now and it sucks!

I am going to have to retrain myself to load this gun as the speed loaders will most likely be on my left and not the right.....a left handed grab will have to be figured out.  

It really does make lots of sense in your state to carry a wheel gun.......heck, you could carry 2 of them and have a really fast "reload" :laugh:

Good luck on figuring out how to reload with the speed loaders on your left......ugh.....but it is a useful skill....

At one time due to "uniformity" we were required to carry dump pouches on the left and that stunk it slowed things down soooo much trying to reload & no matter what one did it was fumble and slow.....

So I failed my Q on purpose twice and was forced to remedial class & explain why/how I failed.....In the remedial class I went put the dump pouches (2) on the right since in front of the holster & passed with flying colors....that was the end of the "uniformity" in the unit :tiphat:

• 4 weeks later...

I have been working with my triple comp III holder and with the tall loaders and the floppy belt loop they stuck out too far. I sliced one of the holders off of the three pack for a single. Still too floppy and sticks out even on the right side where it needs to be. So, I used a zip tie to take up the slack in the belt loop. Snugged it up real tight to where it barely slides on the belt. I can now run the single at 1 o'clock just ahead of the gun like it should be. I did the same tension trick to the double holder and it can now be worn on the left at 9 o'clock and not show unless my shirt is tight. This holder has Kydex for a backer and the edges are sharp on my skin. I need to polish them to smooth them out some more. I have the single where it does not bite into me and need to work on the double. I can now carry the single speed loader all the time but I still have not gotten used to the extra tall loader. 

I would like to try some comp II's made for a K frame S+W in this gun. Much smaller package to carry.  The comp II's will fit in the same holders that I carry the five shot comp II's in. The comp III's are just too tall to use the Safariland spring clip holder, they get kicked out real easy. Man, I hate working through gear issues...

• 4 weeks later...

The vertical carry of the speed loader ended up not working. The comp III's are just too tall and when I bend over they are in the way. I went back to my drop pouch until I could figure out what to do with it. I ended up, today, taking the cup off the leather and turning it sideways. The speed loader now rides horizontal. I was worried the Kydex retention  lip was not going to be enough to keep the loader in place but it works well. I wore it while working in the shop on the tractor and had no issues. Now for more carry to see if I got it.....I'll keep at it until I get it to work!!!

edit...Been wearing the speed loader horizontal since Saturday and today we took a 300+ mile car ride to enemy territory and went into three or four places and out to lunch. I was not 100% of my new carry method so I looped a small rubber band around the speed loader to the Kydex retention lip. Absolute 100% retention and just a tug pulls the loader out and the rubber band stays with the loader. I will continue to wear the loader without the aide until  I'm 100% with it but it was nice to feel comfortable in a new surrounding with untested gear.