srjdsmith

Now I have a BIG (bore) problem

So, Iowa is talking about their list of legal “straight wall” cartridges for deer hunting. I jumped on the Bushy as soon as I could get the parts put together and I put some venison in the freezer with my AR. I still love that rifle. Then I build the neatest little 350L for my daughter-in-law and I to share and she liked the cartridge so well, she got my son to buy her a Ruger American in 350L.

But now Iowa is talking about adding .50 Beowulf and .458 SOCOM to the list of allowable cartridges. That means I kinda’ hafta’ build one of each of those, doesn’t it? At least an upper? Any thoughts on this?

The SOCOM isn't straight walled. Neither will provide you anything on a deer that the deer will ever notice.  Be happy in your work.

Greg

Hows the 350 legend group at 100 ? I have been wanting to try something different and 30-30, 350L, 7mm-08 (had one, sold it now wanting another) are the calibers I have been kicking around. Looking at the ruger American lineup and savage axis for a budget hunting rifle. 

On 12/15/2020 at 6:28 PM, Derk_digler24 said:

Hows the 350 legend group at 100 ? I have been wanting to try something different and 30-30, 350L, 7mm-08 (had one, sold it now wanting another) are the calibers I have been kicking around. Looking at the ruger American lineup and savage axis for a budget hunting rifle. 

Sorry for the delay. Busy couple of weeks.

My AR shoots about 1 1/2” groups at 100yds. My D-I-L’s Ruger American does slightly better, from the one range session I was able to shoot it. I think she’s shooting the Winchester 180’s (it’s all we could find before season, but now I have a stock of Winchester Deer Season and Browning ammo). Sorry I can’t post target pics right now, but I’m very happy with 100 yd accuracy. I also haven’t had a chance to shoot either rifle at 200 yards (at least not very much for my AR, but not at all for her bolt gun).

My newest .450 Bushmaster, however, is a Ruger American. I got the 22” GoWild camo version and I LOVE it. At the range, it’s very satisfying, and it accounted for one deer at about 75 yards and another at just over 100 this season- both were bang-flops.

Ive started carrying my Bushy to hunt with.  Havent had a chance to pull the trigger yet but looking forward to popping a buck or a piggie in the brain box to test your bang/flop theory.  I have one more weekend left this season.  Next season I may be searching for a bolt gun to use if semi's are banned.  I still have my 870 and its served well many times.  I havent had a bolt gun in a long time.