WitchingHour

Wolf T91 upper

So Wolf has been importing these Taiwanese 205th Armory T91 upper receivers, mating an AR-18/180 action to an AR-15 type lower (which Taiwan began doing in 1974, well before Heckler & Koch). I just happen to somehow have another stripped lower in addition to the one I’m doing my 18” DI build with. Funny how that happens, right? So, this was one option I was considering. So my questions are for anyone who has relevant experience with these. 

• Are they small or large pin? 
  • Do they have issues with carrier tilt? 
  • Is there a particular buffer recommended for them? 
  • Overall build quality and reliability? 
  • Do they require a trigger group with a notched hammer or a flat hammer? 
  • Is the bolt carrier group compatible with other AR-15 and/or M16/M4 BCGs? E.g., if I wanted to swap out for a FailZero BCG, could I? 
  • Is the threading at the end of the barrel the same as it typically is for an AR-15? I kinda have a thing for the AAC Blackout flash suppressors. 
Edited by WitchingHour
Additional questions and more better grammar

IMO, if you want a DI upper to fit on an AR15 lower, save yourself a ton of grief and just order a Brownell BRN-180 upper and be done. There are too many possible issues with trying to use so many Colt style parts like the Wolf upper does.

• Like 3

I've never heard/read a word about them but I don't get out much.  With a laundry list of questions like that I'd communicate directly with Wolf.

Greg

22 hours ago, Longhair said:

IMO, if you want a DI upper to fit on an AR15 lower, save yourself a ton of grief and just order a Brownell BRN-180 upper and be done. There are too many possible issues with trying to use so many Colt style parts like the Wolf upper does.

I agree about the BRN-180 upper. Also, if you plan on upgrading things like handguards and the BCG, you are out of luck. The T91 upper assembly uses many proprietary parts that cannot be changed with AR-15 parts. T91 tactical has a wide array of parts and accessories for the T91 upper. I would suggest looking into the BRN-180 upper assemblies as they are much more user friendly when it comes to customizing to your taste or standards. The T91 would be a viable choice if you are looking to build a T91 clone. Those are my thoughts. BTW, here is the BRN-180 I built just so you can see what the possibilities are.

B5uZhUm.jpg

tCyQ7X0.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TackleberryMCS said:

I agree about the BRN-180 upper. Also, if you plan on upgrading things like handguards and the BCG, you are out of luck. The T91 upper assembly uses many proprietary parts that cannot be changed with AR-15 parts. T91 tactical has a wide array of parts and accessories for the T91 upper. I would suggest looking into the BRN-180 upper assemblies as they are much more user friendly when it comes to customizing to your taste or standards. The T91 would be a viable choice if you are looking to build a T91 clone. Those are my thoughts. BTW, here is the BRN-180 I built just so you can see what the possibilities are.

B5uZhUm.jpg

tCyQ7X0.jpg

I want one of those upper so badly that I might sell a rifle I've had for over 40 years to buy one if I can't come up with the cash any other way.

• Like 1

Update: I ended up buying a POF P-415 upper. Photos will be forthcoming. 

• Like 1