wish2no

Reloading in a cold humid garage?

I live in Oregon.  It has been pouring rain for days.  Stays around 80% humidity, at least during this time of year. Very bored, figure a good time to do some reloading. Have some 9mm and .45acp ready to load, just need to add the powder and pill but concerned if doing so in a 40 degree garage at 80% humidity may be a mistake?  Knowing these conditions would you take the chance of reloading?  The rounds I am loading are all expensive JHP.  Kind of a back-up self defense round (I try to use commercial ammo for my carry ammo).  Would I be compromising the integrity of the ammo loading under these conditions?  The loaded rounds could likely sit for an a couple years or more.  Should I not reload them in this environment or should it be OK?

Thanks.

John

It will be OK. Humidity is not a linear relationship from cold to hot temps. So if you have 80% humidity at 40* and then you warm the air up to 80* the humidity will be much lower. If I recall right the amount of water in air at 32* is about 10 times less than than the amount of water in the air at 90*. 

It is why we don't get huge dumps of snow in the winter, the air just can't hold the same amount of water when it is cold. So if you load it at 40* 80% humidity when the temp goes to 80 degrees the humidity will drop to like 20%. 

Now, loading when the temp is high and the humidity is maxed out is a problem because any water in the air inside the cartridge will condense out when the ammo gets cold. How much of an effect that will have is beyond my pay grade. It isn't like the case will be full of water if loaded at 100* and 100% humidity and you popped it into the freezer. It might not even be enough to create a visible droplet. There just isn't that much air in the case. At 32* 100% humidity there is about 5 grams of water in a kilogram of air. At 100% and 100% humidity there is 50 grams of water in a kilogram of air. For reference a kilogram of air at room temp occupies 775,000 cubic centimeters. a 9mm shell has a volume of around 1 cc, maybe 2. 

So, the amount of water is negligible and nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

You'll never see any issues doing that at 40 degrees.  It is best to not leave your powder out in the measure overnight. Can to measure to can and you will be fine.  I'd have me a little enclosure with a space heater if I was going to load in the garage.  Even a plastic sheeted one would be a huge comfort to me.  .lol  Somehow I would get a corner of a closet to sneak in to even if I had to move things out of the way. No way could I load with temps above about 80 or below about 60.  I'm old and a wus.

Greg

Thanks.  Temps are running around 35 to 45 degrees and 95-100% humidity.  Unfortunately it would not be possible to heat the garage economically.  On the bright side, I dont need any ammo so this would just be extra.  I will just wait until spring.  Everything is sealed up tight in the interim.

John

Sounds like a good plan. My idea would be to build a small, maybe 6X6 booth to heat up.  Heating a full garage would be very costly. If I end up out in the country with a separate reloading building it will be heated/cooled year around. For me it would just be the cots of business.  If it has room to have it all indoors then I will be GTG.  My shooting shack that I intend to have will have a flip up window for shooting and the building will have AC and a nice heavy duty electric heater to keep me happy..LOL

Good luck on the garage work as it starts to get decent.

Greg

Loaded out in my garage for decades here in NW FL, summer, fall, winter, etc. Never was not humid (90%) and at times in the 20s and at times near 100. Never had a problem with the loads, just the me was a problem.:segrin: The reason I built the AC / heated shop to reload in.