Rampy

Windshield Wipers......

Put a pair of Bosch Icon wiper blades on the Raptor......

And in that nasty snow/ice/slush/road shat we all hate so far they are working really nicely, have never had them before & they are quite pricy.......

However, so far they are out preforming any wiper blades we have ever had in the slushy crap...

Now if Ford would just figure out a new way to put the windshield squirting squirts so they don’t get buried in the snow/ice and freeze up so they are useless.....

Been running the Icons for a few years on my wife's vehicle. We have good luck with longevity with all the heat.

• Like 1

We use Bosch ourselves, they seem to do well. We only get one season out of them, which is not bad for a premium blade. Most good brands will last a year or so in this wet weather, but most cheaper ones start streaking within a few months. The Bosch on my pickup are over a year and still work ok, but I don't expect that to continue. I just attribute  them living this long to not being used much. My work car used to get a new set of Bosch wipers every September. When I first started, they would only buy the cheapest wipers they could get. I went through 3-4 sets per season. It was only a month or two before they started streaking. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pepper said:

We use Bosch ourselves, they seem to do well. We only get one season out of them, which is not bad for a premium blade. Most good brands will last a year or so in this wet weather, but most cheaper ones start streaking within a few months. The Bosch on my pickup are over a year and still work ok, but I don't expect that to continue. I just attribute  them living this long to not being used much. My work car used to get a new set of Bosch wipers every September. When I first started, they would only buy the cheapest wipers they could get. I went through 3-4 sets per season. It was only a month or two before they started streaking. 

I have been using the Bosch wipers for decades, with great results. If you mean you get a season out of them, Spring, Summer fall, I get a whole lot more good service life out of the Bosch Icons.  It rains more where you live, but we get snow and freezing rain... 

I just bought a set of those silicone Rain X brand, since the reviews of them were overwhelmingly good for summer, winter, and high speed driving. I'll try to remember next Spring to give a review.

70 bucks for a set of wiper blades is hard to swallow, but that was about the same price I was paying for a set of the Bosch Icons, which claim to take 40% more wear than traditional blades. I have bought nothing but Bosch since my old Land Cruiser mechanic turned me on to them, and they would follow the warped windshield glass on my off road hero. 

Does everyone know that glass is a liquid ? That's why anything glass distorts over time and "runs" to the bottom.

After literally decades with the Bosch, I am actually excited to see how the silicone blades on these RainX work. For anyone whose car sits out in the sun a lot, or you live where it gets very cold, the RainX silicone is supposed to take higher (and colder) temps without distorting or failing. 

It's a sure sign you are domesticated when you are excited about trying new wiper blades. I know I have gotten 2 years (or close) at least out of some of my Bosch Icons and they stick to the windshield even at 80 mph for a clean sweep. 

I have run the Rain X ones on my truck for 5 years or so (I think). I picked them up on a whim at Menard’s (like Home Depot with a little Wal Mart mixed in for you non Midwestern folks) way back when. I have been thoroughly impressed. I’m lazy about brushing the snow off of my truck and I haven’t had an issue with them yet. No streaking problems to speak of either. I have not found a blade that doesn’t ice up to some degree. A quick slap on the windshield with the wiper arm seems to free them up of the majority of the ice and gunk. Previously I would replace blades at least once a year. The rain isn’t the issue it’s our winters that seem to kill them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Mrs got rain X wipers for the car....they SUCKED, left streaks in less than 4 months, lifted at high speeds (interstate speed limit here in 80, normal flow of traffic is 10 over, down south it's 75 and we get passed a; the time running 5-8 over, bounced, chattered iced up really bad, had huge hunks of ice stuck to them....they were the worst wipers we have ever had....the car club recommended some internet brand, they said they worked really good and we have had them 8ish months now and no issue....no idea what brand or where I got em, all I know is they are green and did not cost as much as the Icon's......

Was going to get BFG's new wiper blades, just cuz they are cool and have the K02's tire pattern in em, but nope, they are stupid expense....the Icon's were just under $50 for a pair at O'Rilleys....

I wonder how vehicle specific it could be. My truck is like pushing a 4 foot tall brick wall down the road whereas most cars have some thoughts as to aerodynamics.

42 minutes ago, tajjeep said:

I wonder how vehicle specific it could be. My truck is like pushing a 4 foot tall brick wall down the road whereas most cars have some thoughts as to aerodynamics.

No idea, this was on a Dodge Charger SRT with the 6.4L that they stunk on, that might have had something to do with it. The Icons are on a F150 Raptor...and she is governed at 107 Vs the Charger's top speed

4 hours ago, Retcop said:

I have been using the Bosch wipers for decades, with great results. If you mean you get a season out of them, Spring, Summer fall, I get a whole lot more good service life out of the Bosch Icons.  It rains more where you live, but we get snow and freezing rain... 

I just bought a set of those silicone Rain X brand, since the reviews of them were overwhelmingly good for summer, winter, and high speed driving. I'll try to remember next Spring to give a review.

70 bucks for a set of wiper blades is hard to swallow, but that was about the same price I was paying for a set of the Bosch Icons, which claim to take 40% more wear than traditional blades. I have bought nothing but Bosch since my old Land Cruiser mechanic turned me on to them, and they would follow the warped windshield glass on my off road hero. 

Does everyone know that glass is a liquid ? That's why anything glass distorts over time and "runs" to the bottom.

After literally decades with the Bosch, I am actually excited to see how the silicone blades on these RainX work. For anyone whose car sits out in the sun a lot, or you live where it gets very cold, the RainX silicone is supposed to take higher (and colder) temps without distorting or failing. 

It's a sure sign you are domesticated when you are excited about trying new wiper blades. I know I have gotten 2 years (or close) at least out of some of my Bosch Icons and they stick to the windshield even at 80 mph for a clean sweep. 

I think it's the amount I use them. I also can't stand streaks. So if they are still "good", except leave lines and streaks, my OCD kicks in, and they go in the trash. I watch the sales, and I pick them up for less than $40 a set. Rock Auto is also good for that, check back a couple of times a year. They regularly buy out the stock of smaller regional stores that go out of business, or merge with another company, and they sell off all the part lines that the new company doesn't carry. They weren't Bosch, but I used to buy wipers for cars/trucks I was flipping for extra cash for $5 each, or sometimes less. If you're selling a car in the rain, nice new quiet wipers go a long way to making a good impression, at least better than a set that streaks badly. Those make a really bad impression. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pepper said:

I think it's the amount I use them. I also can't stand streaks. So if they are still "good", except leave lines and streaks, my OCD kicks in, and they go in the trash. I watch the sales, and I pick them up for less than $40 a set. Rock Auto is also good for that, check back a couple of times a year. They regularly buy out the stock of smaller regional stores that go out of business, or merge with another company, and they sell off all the part lines that the new company doesn't carry. They weren't Bosch, but I used to buy wipers for cars/trucks I was flipping for extra cash for $5 each, or sometimes less. If you're selling a car in the rain, nice new quiet wipers go a long way to making a good impression, at least better than a set that streaks badly. Those make a really bad impression. 

I like spending my money local, but maybe it is time to check the internet. 

My small town's once thriving downtown businesses looked like a ghost town, way before Covid. 

I will and do spend extra to buy me stuff in town, and pay the local taxes too. zthis is a poor part of the State, and these small businesses need all the help they can get. Wiping your blades down with white vinegar will also help a lot. Bosch makes less expensive models taht don't have the some grade materials, and also do not have the aerodynamic design that keeps them glued to the windshield. No chatter either. Have high hopes for the Rain X silicone. We shall see after my love affair with Bosch. The single spring design also helps to keep those streaks away. 

19 hours ago, Pepper said:

Did not know is that about rock auto...have seen em advertised, but have never purchased anything from them....

wife is driving right now, going 85mph with a 40+ mph crosswind & had her squirt the washers......

The fluid almost blew away, but the icons held tight and did not chatter one bit and no streaks....

8 hours ago, Rampy said:

Did not know is that about rock auto...have seen em advertised, but have never purchased anything from them....

wife is driving right now, going 85mph with a 40+ mph crosswind & had her squirt the washers......

The fluid almost blew away, but the icons held tight and did not chatter one bit and no streaks....

RockAuto is all right, you've got to beware they don't do free shipping. Parts have to be significantly cheaper than local stores for me to jump. RockAuto won't answer my questions like the counter guy down at O'Reilly's will. He knows what he's doing from spending 30 years selling auto parts and wrenching on his own stuff, I'll support where he works first usually. But if they're completely out of hand on pricing, I'm not going to slit my own throat. 

• Like 2