fun&gun

10.5 SBR with a very loud buffer tube

I have a 10.5” Wylde SBR.  It has a JP adjustable Gas Block and a Carbine length buffer tube with a standard buffer and a standard weight Nickel Boron BCG. It does have a JP polished buffer spring.  It is extremely loud in the buffer tube so I need advice on wether I should dial back the gas with the adjustable gas block or get an H3 buffer.

Posted (edited)

Since you have an agb, might as well tinker with it. Otherwise, I run H3s in everything but my 20" rifle. I have one of those springs in a pistol and can't tell any difference from my other basic nothing springs.

Edited by bamashooter

Posted (edited)

I just wanted to welcome you to the board !  There should be some experts along shortly to answer your question.

I know that most buffer springs will make a little noise, but I am not familiar with those JP springs.

I know some guys will use a tiny bit of grease on the spring, but not too much or it can attract gunk. 

With an adjustable gas block, you could have the gas set too high which might be adding to the noise. 

It the rifle ejecting spent brass properly and the bolt locking open after the last round ? 

A lot of guys who are not familiar with AR's will comment on the spring sound, because it is the first rifle they have fired that uses that an AR buffer system, but some sound is perfectly normal.  I have no doubt someone will be along who can give you a definitive answer.  Welcome !

John

BTW: I did not see that Bama had answered you, and who has one of those JP springs with a heavier buffer...

Edited by Retcop

Thank you Bamashooter and Retcop.  I agree with your comments I was leaning towards an H3 buffer.  While doing some research I went back to the research on the A5 Recoil system,  if it works for the Marines it’s good enough for me.  Ok will post the results once I install and test.  I feel optimistic about it.  Well done gentlemen.  These times especially, I’m glad to be part of this forum 

• Like 1

Various rifles I've shot made noise. Some quit making it after shooting a bit. I know that flat buffer springs tend to be quieter,  I run TUBBS, but still it has something to do with buffer speeds and a heavier one MAY help.  I am blessed that my hearing loss tuns out most of these aggravations anymore. :segrin:

Greg

Welcome to the board.

• Haha 1

I ended up getting a Vltor A5 recoil system with an H2 buffer.  The SBR has never run better and now doesn’t feel over gassed

• Like 1