amoye

Stuck FSB Pins

Im having trouble removing the pins from my front sight block. I already measured the pins with a micrometer to make sure I am hitting them the right direction. One side measured 3.23mm and the other 3.72mm, I am hitting the 3.32mm side. First I tried a 16 oz. hammer, didn't work, then I moved on to a 4lb miller hammer, nothing. I even tried to use heat and soaking it in liquid wrench. Nothing has worked so far and the pins have not budged one bit. I would like to remove the FSB in one piece because I want to cut the sight off and use it as a low pro block. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

They could have locktite on them im not sure without pics. I know others have stated older bushmaster were. 

If your just going to cut it down why remove it? 

Me personally I would use a 4 inch grinder with a cut off wheel, then swap to a sanding wheel to polish it a little and hit it with black high temp paint (tape off everything you don't want black paint on). 

Others use a dremel, whatever you want to get you from point A to point B.

If it had locktight, it doesn't now because I got it glowing red a couple times. I cannot keep it on because I need to install a different style barrel nut. I'm changing the grip from an A2 to a free float. I have thought of this, because it'll probably be easier to trim it on the barrel anyway,  but eventually it will have to come of. 

It's a M&P15 sport II  btw

Edited by amoye

I just wanted to say Welcome to the board !

Other than having the proper punch, and the rifle properly secured, I don't have anything for you.

There should be some experienced folks other than DD along soon to lend a hand. 

John

9 hours ago, amoye said:

If it had locktight, it doesn't now because I got it glowing red a couple times. I cannot keep it on because I need to install a different style barrel nut. I'm changing the grip from an A2 to a free float. I have thought of this, because it'll probably be easier to trim it on the barrel anyway,  but eventually it will have to come of. 

It's a M&P15 sport II  btw

What punch are you using?  If it's a pin punch, then it may not do it if it's stuck that tightly.  Use a starter punch, and then when it's broken loose, use a pin punch of appropriate diameter.  Marry that with a decent sized hammer, and supporting your front sight block by something like a bench block: 

p_080000252_2.jpg

and I bet it'll be persuaded.  Just remember to use quick, sharp, meaningful taps. 

If *that* doesn't do it, you might consider trying to re-heat the gas block a little, trying to avoid heating the taper pins (to expand the gas block, but not pins), and then smacking them out.

If that still doesn't do the trick, then let us know.

Edited by Forsaken352

Soak 'em in KROIL over night for starters. Then strike as above.  Worse scene scenario the FSB's are cheap and you can always just cut this one off. I had to use a pretty big hammer on my last one..LOL

Greg

Welcome to the armory

Apologies, but it is now most likely rusted with the heat and liquid wrench, so you might as well cut it off.

Do you have this block? I have never failed in removing a FSP using this block and taper pin punch. 

p_080000252_2.jpg p_827530320_1.jpg?yocs=p_