My latest. An AR9

69b065f002ec0bd29a1fb84f21c14d65.jpg

John
”Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” -Buckaroo Banzai

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Just Cuz you can, does not mean ya Shoukd :dontknow:

2PqhQq0.jpg

I didn’t think that applied to guns. I thought with guns it was “if you can, you should” So much to learn...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm not going to say in a public forum how many lowers I've finished that I've lost in my boating accident.  But if I could retrieve them from the bottom of Lake Minnetonka  I seriously doubt you could tell the difference between my completed lowers and those fully manufactured. All the tolerances are in range, and I've gotten quite good at it. I have no idea what idiot did the one in the OP. Was that lower screw-up intentionally as a joke?

I run .458 SOCOM, .308, .300blk, 5.56 on mine, with no problems. I've also done AK-47s (trashcan guns) and a few Glocks.  I use both mil-spec triggers and binary triggers with no issues.

With that said, I've never used one of those drill press jigs. 80% Arms and 5D tactical are the jigs I've used. Both are virtually identical in design and function and pretty much fool proof.  

Edited by Qweevox
  • Like 1

I’ve done some drill press, but the router lowers are way nicer.

• Like 1

Any recommendations on a good smooth finish on the inside? asking for a friend

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, rucka356 said:

Good end mills and a real milling machine. Like anything else with machining. Take your time. Don't overload the cutter. Take final "finishing" passes that are very very light. Of course there is much more to this, but those are the high points.

• Like 1

X-Y vise

24 minutes ago, Flesh Wound said:

Good end mills and a real milling machine. Like anything else with machining. Take your time. Don't overload the cutter. Take final "finishing" passes that are very very light. Of course there is much more to this, but those are the high points.

When I bought my milling machine the guy had a lower in the vise that looked about like the one in the OP. The reason he was selling the mill was because he thought he would be able to make lowers from 80% blanks and wasn't able to do it. It isn't easy to do on a manual machine what can be done with a CNC machine but with practice it can be done. Judging by the lower in the vise, he went into it with the idea that he would be able to crank out lowers just like the factories do and when the first one didn't turn out he gave up on it. I am not to the point yet that I can do it but I am practicing and will get there eventually. And if I don't, I may just CNC convert the mill and see what I can do from there.